TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Is the $7,500 Federal tax credit for electric cars before AGI or after ?

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by AprilDelivery??, Sep 23, 2013.

1. AprilDelivery??

Is the $7,500 federal tax credit for electric cars before AGI or after? Im sorry but i didn't see it on this forum.

2. sleepyhead

sleepyhead Active Member

It's a tax credit and not a deduction. It is deducted from your tax liability and it is non-refundable (meaning you have to owe at least $7,500 in taxes to get full benefit).

3. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

It is not affected by AGI.

4. AprilDelivery??

So after you deduct your standard deduction or itemized deductions you deduct the $7,500 federal tax credit?

5. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

I am not a tax accountant. But the 7500 is deducted from the amount you owe.
    I would check with an accountant, tax software, or the IRS for details.

6. Objective1

Objective1 Member

A tax credit is deducted from tax owed after you have calculated the tax owed on your (adjusted) income. It's not an income deduction.

7. sleepyhead

sleepyhead Active Member

If you make $100k and owe $10k in taxes, then you can deduct the credit of $7,500 and you will only owe $2,500 in taxes. If you had $10k withheld from your paychecks then you will get a $7,500 refund.

If you made $100k and owe only $5k in taxes, then you will not be able to take the full advantage of the credit, because it is non-refundable. You can only deduct $5,000 from your TAX LIABILITY (aka taxes owed) and your tax liability becomes $0. So you would get a tax refund for all of the tax that was withheld from your paychecks. In this scenario you are leaving $2,500 on the table, since you weren't able to take advantage of the full $7,500 tax credit.

8. AprilDelivery??

Thanks. Your the best!