Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the 85D worth the additional $10k over the 70D?

Is the 85D worth the $10,000 upgrade from the 70D?

• Yes; the 85D upgrade is worth every penny

Votes: 94 66.2%
  • No; the 85D is not worth the extra cost

Votes: 48 33.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am also interested in what others have to say. Currently I am looking for an inventory loaded 70D. But an inventory bare 85D (not sure if they exist) is also passable for me. Personally the extra options are not really necessary but it would be a nice to have.

I would definitely trade some of the features for range if budgets are tight. $2.5k for cyclones (look great but no functional benefit) and $2.5k for air suspension would be the first to go. Ive driven both air and coil and unless you need the ability to lift the car because of your driveway there is no really need to have this. I couldn't tell the ride difference.

I just completed a road trip between CT and FL and back. While the Superchargers are very nicely spaced the benefit of the 85 is the ability to leave before full tapering kicks in. Except for times when we stopped to eat, we didn't have to charge longer than ~35 minutes. I arrived a few times with between 25-35 miles of rated range left. Comfortable but wouldn't want to go much lower on a long road trip. I kept a log that I can post if anyone is interested in the stats.

Just to reiterate - I would go with range over options if budgets are tight. Great car that's fun to drive.

Having chosen a 70D with some of the extras the OP listed, but not all (no air or cyclone wheels), I have to say that I opted for features I wanted to enjoy, day to day, over a bare bones 85 with more range. There is no doubt I would like more range. But I don't travel long distance that often, so day to day comforts and convenience (like leather seats and power liftgate) meant more to me for what I wanted to spend.

As someone else has said above, it is all in how YOU weigh the value of each item you can spend your next dollar on -- an increment of range, or something nice to enjoy while in and around the car.

Would love to hear from 70D and 85D owners here. I'm ordering in 10 days and I think I'm willing to give up the SAS for the 85D (to stay within my wife's price range).

If it was only the additional performance for $10k - I'd say it wasn't worth it.
If it was only the additional range for $10k - I'd say it wasn't worth it.

But, it's BOTH performance and range. Love to hear your thoughts. :confused:

Totally personal taste, but I would go for the 85D over the 70D if/when I do it again. (And if I did that, probably the 90D over the 85 for $3K premium...)

The performance difference is noticeable, and the extra range doesn't hurt.

I personally don't see the value in the P model (for the money), but I'm not a speed head, and the 85D would be plenty.

Locally a 70D offer more than enough range. For distance driving, I've played with many 85D vs 70D scenarios on EV Trip Planner and determined that the 85D saves very little travel time over the 70D. An 85D could allow you to skip a SC occasionally but you'll be charging at the next one for 60 minutes instead of 30 minutes.

Locally a 70D offer more than enough range. For distance driving, I've played with many 85D vs 70D scenarios on EV Trip Planner and determined that the 85D saves very little travel time over the 70D. An 85D could allow you to skip a SC occasionally but you'll be charging at the next one for 60 minutes instead of 30 minutes.

My take on 70D vs 90D is the 90D allows the driver to dictate the speed of driving. Whether is saves some time or not, it is something the 90D can do without time penalty. While the 70D would have to trade up those higher speeds for more charging time.

There has always been a lot of talk about cross country travel with the 70D being fine, but has someone actually take some data to prove this otherwise. All these trip planners and calculations make a lot of assumptions and such of how people drive and the traffic/weather/road conditions. I would like to see some data on 70D cars vs 90D cross country travel to verify the data. Ideally there would be more than 1 or 2 examples. Just take California coast as an example. I am sure there are plenty of people traveling up and down California from Bay area to San diego. Give me some data to show that the 85D/90D doesn't save that much time compared to 60/70D.

Now that being said, if you don't plan to do many road trip, then 70D is the way to go. But then plenty of other BEV would also do.

Reactions: chriSharek
It depends on two things..
1.Do you have winter?
2. Do you have a comfortable ice 2nd car you'd willingly use for a winner road trip?

My first winter with my S convinced me that the big battery was the right choice for this flyover state owner.

Good advice, but we should point out that Chris has now received his car, so the it is a moot point for him. He got a 90D.

Reactions: chriSharek
but has someone actually take some data to prove this otherwise. All these trip planners and calculations make a lot of assumptions and such of how people drive and the traffic/weather/road conditions. I would like to see some data on 70D cars vs 90D cross country travel to verify the data.

I haven't done coast to coast, but we have been all the way up and down the east coast in the winter with a 70D, no problems. We charged until the nav said we were good (then a wee bit more for cushion). One trip from MD to Florida, we had an 85D running pretty much the same trip that we were and we saw them about 5 times at different superchargers. The only difference in time seemed to be how long it took us to eat, get drinks/snacks, etc. I would buy the 90 if I had to do it again, but for the performance. I don't see range ever being an issue in 70 with the way the SCs are spaced (at least not for me). I tend to agree that the 85/90D is plenty fast, but the 70D kind of dies after 40mph. Well, I mean, it's still quick, but 40 is about where an 85 would start really pulling away (I mean a rwd 85). As always, I love that what I have to gripe about is that my base Model S is only faster than most cars and not all of them:)

It depends on two things..
1.Do you have winter?
2. Do you have a comfortable ice 2nd car you'd willingly use for a winner road trip?

My first winter with my S convinced me that the big battery was the right choice for this flyover state owner.

Yup. Cyclone is right. I ordered the 85D and then upgraded to the 90D. But, as KMTL points out, the 90D really allows you to dictate the speed and comfort of your drive. You're not inching out miles for heat or A/C or speed. You're driving and enjoying the car for what it is. I can't say enough great things about my car. Perfect balance between range, performance, and comfort!