Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the browser usable in your S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought my car in 2017 and received the free HDW update yesterday.. I have a fast wireless Network and updates have always been fast and never a problem. Streaming music, gps, maps etc. have been Flawless.on the road or at home. No matter where the car is, home or away, trying to use the Internet browser Is a Act of futility. At times a page may open in 5 minutes or so.Never ever is it as fast or Reliable as the cheapest phone On the slowest network. When I hear about being able to watch Netflix I am baffled. I do not want this but I always thought there was no reason the browser should not function as well as a phone. To me the strangest thing is that it works no better on my home e Network.Than it works on the cell signal. I hoped the HDW update would solve this but the only visible change is the stop signs and traffic lights. I wonder can my car ever get to FSD and do such a sorry job retrieving anything from the internet. I know it is a separate issue but my car cost 100 k and for that price I expected every thing to work.

Probably not what you want to hear but I got the HDW update as well as the MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade for my March 2018 MS. The browser now works like it should. I say "it should" because previously it just didn't work (or would take so long to load it wasn't useful). Yes it cost a good bit and yes I lost access to a radio but to me it was totally worth it.

Browser worked fine when I 1st purchased my 2017 S75D AP 2.0 with MCU1.
With subsequent firmware updates it has got progressively worse and is now unusable.
I am waiting for MCU1 to 2 upgrade as well as my upgrade from AP2.0 to FSD computer

2013 S. MCU1. Browser died at intro of V9. A few months ago after what, nearly 18 months, sorta started working again. Meaning, pages sorta load. However, not really usable and I pretty much gave up on the browser in 2018. I paid for this functionality when I bought the car but Tesla could care less that they broke it.

Reactions: am_dmd
Question . You buy a car and while under warranty. Some things will not work. Do you feel it is the company’s responsibility to fix it. It seems to me that many Tesla owners Do not feel compelled to force Tesla to honor anything. I am sure the entertainment up grade is worth something to some people. I think if my browser functioned as well as my phone, then I could do everything the upgrade does and still have a functioning radio.. I paid 100 k+ for a car that has not done anything that was not promised at purchase. Nothing free, everything paid for upfront.. the car is amazing and I love it. I paid dearly for this experience and do not regret it. I expect them to keep everything functioning as promised under warranty. Is this an unrealistic expectation?

Reactions: bnsfengineer
Probably not what you want to hear but I got the HDW update as well as the MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade for my March 2018 MS. The browser now works like it should. I say "it should" because previously it just didn't work (or would take so long to load it wasn't useful). Yes it cost a good bit and yes I lost access to a radio but to me it was totally worth it.
This is exactly what I wanted to hear. For my Browser to work, Tesla needs to change my MCU1 to MCU 2. If that is what it takes, then that is what they should do..

well memory doesn't equal speed. so just like deleting native apple apps, they do nothing to speed up your device, only frees up a very limited amount of storage space.
Personally I am fine even if browser/MCU is laggy but as long as it works reliably. I would rather read news on bigger display rather than my tiny phone display while supercharging. May be divert those games/fart app resources towards browser?

Personally I am fine even if browser/MCU is laggy but as long as it works reliably. I would rather read news on bigger display rather than my tiny phone display while supercharging. May be divert those games/fart app resources towards browser?

again, i'm trying to say that games are not running in the background or anything so they arent using up your "resources", which means they have 0 impact on whether or not your browser can run or not. even if its removed it doesn't improve your browser.

same as deleting those default apps on your phone. the only thing that does is remove the icon so you dont have to look at it. the phone doesn't get faster because you deleted the stock ticker app, it was never running in the first place

Reactions: WhiteWi
again, i'm trying to say that games are not running in the background or anything so they arent using up your "resources", which means they have 0 impact on whether or not your browser can run or not. even if its removed it doesn't improve your browser.

same as deleting those default apps on your phone. the only thing that does is remove the icon so you dont have to look at it. the phone doesn't get faster because you deleted the stock ticker app, it was never running in the first place
Since those games run when car is parked and use whatever resources it does, Tesla can at least make the browser work in park mode/aka while supercharging. Browser used to work pre v9 very well and if Tesla wants it I am sure they can make it work.
I have noticed iphone se (1st gen) more snappier after deleting default mail/maps app.

Whatever the reason it is not working anymore: when I bought my Model S, the internet browser was usable.
Now it isn't anymore.
Would appreciate to have it working again.

Whatever the reason it is not working anymore: when I bought my Model S, the internet browser was usable.
Now it isn't anymore.
Would appreciate to have it working again.
That is not the point. In similar conditions, the browser in the car should work as well as the one in the phone. My guess is that it can and should but it will not without an upgrade from 1 to 2. A lot of people are willing to pay for this.. I just want my browser to work as well as a phone. And I have paid for that. Why do so many people accept that it doesn’t work.

That is not the point. In similar conditions, the browser in the car should work as well as the one in the phone. My guess is that it can and should but it will not without an upgrade from 1 to 2. A lot of people are willing to pay for this.. I just want my browser to work as well as a phone. And I have paid for that. Why do so many people accept that it doesn’t work.

Can’t speak for others, for me, the answer to your last question is, “the good outweighs the bad.” Not only is my browser slow, but I still have the yellow border. I will either have that fixed w the UV treatment or upgrade to MCU2 and get both. I accepted some time ago that I own a computer that drives. Just like my other computers, eventually new software releases cause programs to run slowly, because the chipsets aren’t optimized for them. At some point I have to add RAM, change chips or get a new computer.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Question . You buy a car and while under warranty. Some things will not work. Do you feel it is the company’s responsibility to fix it. It seems to me that many Tesla owners Do not feel compelled to force Tesla to honor anything.

Lots of Tesla apologists and fanboys. I've been an owner since 2012 but am happy to call out Tesla when appropriate and fair.