Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the color mismatch still an issue with white model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly need several white model y driving around and I don’t notice color difference. My guess is it is something you only notice looking for at the right angle in the right amount of lighting.

You could also just roll with white and when you do your delivery walkthrough point out the color mismatch to your wife and reject delivery. I’m not sure if all the details on that though, you might have to cancel your order which will and have your wife order a different color since I think I read that if you cancel an order at delivery you are restricted from reordering for a year

Reactions: sleepydoc
If you're already looking for it, you might end up seeing things that's might not be to "your" standard. I would go to a local Tesla service center and check out the white cars being prepped for delivery outside and see if you or your wife can personally notice it. If yes, get a different color.

I felt that way too, but I then looked at every white car I could find (huge mall parking lots with a variety of luxury cars) and found bumper mismatch on almost every car I looked at when examined closely. BMWs, Porsches, MB, Range Rover, Volvo, Audi and Alfa Romeo all had a discernible mismatch between plastic and metal parts. I also noticed differences on blue cars for whatever reason. If she likes the Tesla, she should get the Tesla, and satisfy herself by examining other white luxury cars and seeing they too are a very slight mismatch.

For metallic colors, and the Tesla white is metallic, the bumper variation tend to stand out. This isn't a Tesla issue but is often seen in all cars. We've had a silver Toyota Prius for years and the discoloration between the bumper and the body gets more pronounced as it ages. One is literally a sticker on plastic and the other was painted on metallic surfaces so they will rarely, if ever, be 100% matched. It's less of an issue on non metallic colors however.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
Here is the front bumper of model y that I got last week.

I've no idea why there's a line showing clear demarcation. :(

Attachments

• 20230221_152820.jpg
    20230221_152820.jpg
    615.2 KB · Views: 387
You can hear anything on the internet, but here's one:

The manager of the Tesla site I went to reports she was the old service manager before taking over as overall manager. She told me there were only two colors that were applied in multiple treatments. White and Red.

No idea it that's true, or how it might influence your process. How's this:

1) My wife really wanted white, I wanted red then perhaps blue. But it's for her, so she gets what she wants (when reasonable).
2) If there is any difference at this moment I can't see it, and I've looked.
3) I've spoken to a few body shops. They tell me color matching ,as in "wreckedit" can be tough. The area tesla certified body shops said "it is, but I paint several a day. We can match anything".

YMMV.

You can hear anything on the internet, but here's one:

The manager of the Tesla site I went to reports she was the old service manager before taking over as overall manager. She told me there were only two colors that were applied in multiple treatments. White and Red.

No idea it that's true, or how it might influence your process. How's this:

1) My wife really wanted white, I wanted red then perhaps blue. But it's for her, so she gets what she wants (when reasonable).
2) If there is any difference at this moment I can't see it, and I've looked.
3) I've spoken to a few body shops. They tell me color matching ,as in "wreckedit" can be tough. The area tesla certified body shops said "it is, but I paint several a day. We can match anything".

YMMV.
The manager was right. That what Tesla website says when selecting the color: multiple coats for White and Red colors.

Take your wife to the Tesla dealer and have her look at several different white cars to see what she thinks. If she’s fine with it, go ahead and get a white car. She’s the one that’s going to be driving it anyway. If you get it, and it really bugs me that much, then you can pay to have the door or bumper repainted to match.