Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the cybertruck the ‘third generation car’ from Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Feels like the 4th to me.

1st, original roadster
2nd, model s/x
3rd, model 3/Y and refresh/plaid S/X
4th, vehicles with 4680 batteries, (cybertruck, new roadster)
Purely going off the article here.
It mentions the sale discussions occured in 2013, and then Musk asked to run it for 8 years, or until it develops it’s 3rd get vehicle.

If 3/Y were the 3rd gen, then he beat his goal by 3 years, if the 3rd gen is the cybertruck (or similar, more specifically structural pack, 4680, ground up build), he may be a bit behind his 8 year goal.

Perhaps:
Gen 1: 2008 - 2012 roadster
Gen 2: 2012 - 2016 S/X or 2012 - 2020 SEXY.
Gen 3: 4680/structural pack, whole new ground up build vehicle (cybertruck, roadster v2, plaid +) 202x?

Certainly though I can agree with your suggestion as the S/X and 3/Y seem a generation apart, in approach and overall design, new batteries, much larger volume etc.

Upvote 0
Back in 2013, the "3rd Gen Vehicle" referred to was without a doubt the Model 3.

1. Build sports car
  2. Use that money to build an affordable car
  3. Use that money to build an even more affordable car
  4. While doing above, also provide zero emission electric power generation options

1) Being the Roadster
2) Being the Model S
3) Being the Model 3

The Model X was inserted between because Tesla wasn't able to produce a "even more affordable car"

Reactions: moa999
Upvote 0
Back in 2013, the "3rd Gen Vehicle" referred to was without a doubt the Model 3.

1) Being the Roadster
2) Being the Model S
3) Being the Model 3

The Model X was inserted between because Tesla wasn't able to produce a "even more affordable car"

I haven’t seem the link you posted before, you must be referring to this part:

“ Without giving away too much, I can say that the second model will be a sporty four door family car at roughly half the $89k price point of the Tesla Roadster and the third model will be even more affordable. In keeping with a fast growing technology company, all free cash flow is plowed back into R&D to drive down the costs and bring the follow on products to market as fast as possible. ”

It’s referencing a second and third model, not necessarily a generation. But as I stated above, there is without a doubt large improvements between the Roadster, S and 3. The X is a very similar vehicle to the S, alightly less so then the 3 & Y.
The delayed next step is certainly a new generation of vehicles all together. 3rd or 4th semantics, I was just curious if he is ahead of where he thought he would be or behind. It seems ahead.

Upvote 0
I haven’t seem the link you posted before, you must be referring to this part:

The part I quoted and referred to is verbatim at the very tail end of the linked blog post by Musk.

It’s referencing a second and third model, not necessarily a generation.
You have to keep in mind, the conversation took place in 2013, it was just after the launch of the Model S. The 4680 wasn't even a pipe dream, "Production Hell" was several years in his future. Many of the problems which the Cybertruck, the 4680, and many of the other advances were designed to address hadn't even been encountered yet.

Upvote 0
The part I quoted and referred to is verbatim at the very tail end of the linked blog post by Musk.

You have to keep in mind, the conversation took place in 2013, it was just after the launch of the Model S. The 4680 wasn't even a pipe dream, "Production Hell" was several years in his future. Many of the problems which the Cybertruck, the 4680, and many of the other advances were designed to address hadn't even been encountered yet.
Fair, so he was 3 years ahead with the 3rd gen. The 3/Y also have a 3rd gen battery as well.

So we are waiting for the 4th gen to happen.

Upvote 0