TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Is the dash/steering control for the sunroof is backwards?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by 4SUPER9, Jan 15, 2014.

1. 4SUPER9

4SUPER9 Active Member

The dash/steering control for the sunroof seems backwards to me.

On the center screen, there are two methods of opening the sunroof: either by sliding the "top" down, or sliding the sidebar down.
    The steering wheel control is opposite: if the sunroof is closed, it is listed as 0% and you slide the control up to open the roof. Shouldn't this match the function of the center screen?

2. Nrk7001

Nrk7001 Member

#2 Nrk7001, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
    Yes, i am glad im not the only one that is bothered by this. It needs to be reversed to be more intuitive.

3. youlikeadajuice

I tend to agree that it feels backwards. The only justification I can see for this is that when you adjust via steering wheel, all you see is the percentage increasing or decreasing, so it makes sense that up would increase percentage open, down would decrease percentage open. On the touch screen it must be swipe down to open in order to match the graphic display. It definitely "feels" backwards though on the steering wheel.

4. brianstorms

brianstorms Member

I've also always considered this an inconsistency in the UI.

5. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

I never use the steering wheel control for this because every time I do I feel like an idiot who can't work the damn thing. I, too, hope they fix it.

6. Lump

Lump Active Member

Kids reminding me I screwed up again isn't fun.

7. Mikial

Mikial Member

I agree 100%, but am also one of those people that tried to switch to Apple's "natural scrolling" (where the traditional scrolling directions are reversed and you push up rather than down to make the screen go up) and could not seem to get used to it after months of trying. I wonder if those "natural scrolling" people have different perceptions of it?

Tesla making the option user selectable would be nice...

8. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

I use natural scrolling even on Windows (some modifications required), and as I mentioned above, think it's backwards.

9. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I've never actually adjusted the roof with the centre display so the steering wheel roller seems fine to me.

10. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Given the cruise control stalk and pano roof control, I'm now going to turn the steering wheel in the opposite direction... :biggrin:

11. contaygious

contaygious Active Member

I do it wrong everyday haha. I thought i was the only one. At least you can do it from the wheel though.

12. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Agree with this. Although I'm now "adjusted" to the cruise control stalk, human factors engineering classes would suggest that both the cruise control stalk and the sunroof scrolling UI should operate in the opposite sense.

13. zax123

zax123 CDN Model S P308

I also think it's backwards. I never get it right the first time.

14. Ugliest1

Ugliest1 S85: "Sparky"

Agree on both, though I have yet to use the steering wheel button for the sunroof. Canceling cruise control always takes me 1-2 seconds to think about pull/push and that screws up my timing for the perfect slow-down. Seems more natural to pull cancel. And I have yet to automatically use the best go pedal pressure to smoothly enter regen from cancel. But then, I'm only a week into the car, still practicing. And practicing :) (did I mention, this is how ALL cars should drive).

15. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

It'll come pretty quickly. Can't even feel the departure from cruise when I disengage it. And yes, all cars should drive like this!

16. Zextraterrestrial

CC and Sunroof are backwards. I use them all the time and almost always do the sunroof backwards on my scroll wheel, CC I have gotten used to/ just turn it off with the button when I need to

17. 4SUPER9

4SUPER9 Active Member

I have only used CC a couple of times and was utterly confused by it. I figured it out, but by the next time I used it, I forgot again.

(Mods: how to I fix/change a title of a thread? I mistyped it. Please remove the second "is")

18. woof

woof Model S #P683 Blue 85 kWh

I agree it's backwards (as is CC as I've complained about many times). But for the roof one way to think about it that may help:
    Visualize the glass as if it's behind the thumb wheel and the wheel is pushing the glass up and down. When you use your thumb to move the front of the thumb wheel UP, the back of the thumb wheel slides the glass DOWN. There, now it's not backwards anymore! It all depends on how you visualize the expected movement.

19. ddruz

ddruz Member

Yet another data point: Sunroof seems backwards to me too.

20. iffatall

iffatall Member

I feel the sunroof control on wheel is backwards too.

But I wonder - even if Tesla recognizes this issue, would they change it? Because could trigger another wave of complains from those who did not think it was backwards, and from those who got used to it anyway. I don't believe it's a big enough deal to sit as a preference in the settings. In conclusion, as much as I want it be be changed, I don't see it happening, and feel it is better to just get used to it. My two cents.