Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the deposit for solar panels refunded if canceled within the 5-day cool-down period?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As the subject says, I'd like to know if I get my $400 deposit back if I cancel within the 5-day (CA) Cancellation Rights period. To be honest, I'm an idiot and forgot to use my referral link and confirmed the design Sunday evening. They've made it clear that adding in a referral post order isn't acceptable, so if possible I'd like to just cancel and start over.

Thanks for any advice.

Having chased down referrals posting in the past I can confirm it's a PIA to do referral post orde, but it's doable.

Which reminds me I have one that hasn't paid out. [email protected] doesn't work anymore. Is there a new email?
Mind detailing what you did exactly? I have a call scheduled with my advisor tomorrow to just ask for it to be included to save everyone the hassle of a cancel / re-order / re-design, etc. but short of that I don't have any great ideas.

Upvote 0
How much is the referral these days, $300.00 or $400.00? How much is the delay if you cancel and get another design? You just gained 4% in tax credit, so how big is that referral in comparison? My daughter forgot to use her own referral link and when she called 2 days after submitting the order they told her there is no retroactive referral. I found out a few days later so I called on behalf of her, the person I talked to was very nice and said Tesla has a new policy that would allow for retroactive referral as long as the installation has not started, she said she would put the referral into the system, that was back in April this year. If I were you I would just ask and proceed with the order regardless.

• Helpful
Reactions: BGbreeder
Upvote 0
How much is the referral these days, $300.00 or $400.00? How much is the delay if you cancel and get another design? You just gained 4% in tax credit, so how big is that referral in comparison? My daughter forgot to use her own referral link and when she called 2 days after submitting the order they told her there is no retroactive referral. I found out a few days later so I called on behalf of her, the person I talked to was very nice and said Tesla has a new policy that would allow for retroactive referral as long as the installation has not started, she said she would put the referral into the system, that was back in April this year. If I were you I would just ask and proceed with the order regardless.
$300, so it's less than the deposit. The delay would probably be around 5 to 7 business days, so not too bad, but with NEM 3.0 rearing up even small delays concern me.

Thank you for the information about the new policy for a retroactive referral. I have an appointment with my advisor tomorrow so hopefully, they just add it in. Could you possibly tell me the number you called to request the retroactive referral?

Upvote 0
Having chased down referrals posting in the past I can confirm it's a PIA to do referral post orde, but it's doable.

Which reminds me I have one that hasn't paid out. [email protected] doesn't work anymore. Is there a new email?

Not that I have seen anyone post. I have only seen people say they get bounce backs, but there is still a tesla energy one so perhaps there is something somewhere.

They've made it clear that adding in a referral post order isn't acceptable, so if possible I'd like to just cancel and start over.

Specifically in my loot box app (which is where the referral codes live) is the following text regarding referral codes:

====================================

"All Solar Roof and Solar Panel referral orders must be placed through an active referral link as the referral can not be added after the order. Solar Roof and solar panel referral awards are granted once the system receives permission to operate on the grid from your utility. The referral program and its terms are subject to change or end at any time and without notice.

Note: Orders of vehicle products are not eligible

===================================

So, OP, I would "expect" that what they told you (that it cant be added after the order) is true, but tesla has also broken some of their own rules in the past, previously. I havent heard anything about a 5 day cooling off period, so I looked it up via google, and it looks like its 3 days in CA unless you are 65+, then you may have 5 days:

=================================

to a 3-day cancellation period after signing a contract.

You have at least three business days to cancel your contract for any reason. You may cancel the contract by emailing, mailing, faxing, or delivering a notice to your solar provider by midnight of the third business day after you received a signed, dated copy of the contract. If you are 65 years of age or older, you have five days. Note that different rules may apply for contracts negotiated at a company’s place of business. If your solar provider refuses to cancel the contract, report them to the CSLB at 800-321-CSLB

=================================

Tesla also states that orders are refundable, if eligible:

Can I cancel my order?​

You can cancel your order and request a full refund, if eligible, in your Tesla Account. For additional information regarding refund eligibility, review your Energy Products Order Agreement.

• Helpful
Reactions: BGbreeder
Upvote 0
All the advice to just ask for the referral and not cancel was correct. I chatted with customer support, and they left a note for my project advisor regarding the referral. He sent a request to have it added and emailed me that I should see it in 3-7 business days. It seems I stressed myself needlessly about potentially having to cancel. Thanks for all the feedback.

Reactions: vickh
Upvote 0
All the advice to just ask for the referral and not cancel was correct. I chatted with customer support, and they left a note for my project advisor regarding the referral. He sent a request to have it added and emailed me that I should see it in 3-7 business days. It seems I stressed myself needlessly about potentially having to cancel. Thanks for all the feedback.

save the email, you might need it if it doesn't auto post.

Upvote 0