Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the door weather stripping really just held on with double-sided tape?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was performing my weekly wash of my Model Y, when I noticed the weather stripping under the front passenger door was sagging. Upon closer examination, the car wash soap was preventing it from sticking to the door. When I tried to reattach it, I noticed that it does not "plug" into holes, or clip on the door frame. Instead, it appears to be a peel and stick application. And since it does not fit into a track, it takes guesswork to determine where on the door it should be applied. Very disappointed to see that a Tesla engineer concluded this was the best method.

When I got mine this was like the only big complaint I had - passenger door stripping was making a sound like it wasn't fully adhered. I spent some time and pressed it down and it didn't have an issue after. Otherwise I was going to get stuck putting in a SC request.

I also added a aftermarket kit, and its double tape. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0916YRM3Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. This kit did well as a added way to keep water out, but I got it a little too close to the outside edge of the front doors so when the backs get used it would compress funny. I had to slowly peel it back off and re-apply. Heat gun helps a bit to re-set the adhesive.

I've had a few older cars and almost all the trim and door ding protectors are all double tape. Just needs a alcohol pad or prep so it sticks well. I can't do any of this stuff in the winter or I'd need to also get out a heat gun.

The after market spoiler is also double tape.

IMG_3382.jpeg