Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the emergency release button in the Frunk disabled when the car is in motion?

Lift

Oct 16, 2016
San Mateo, CA
My wife won't put anything in the front trunk because she's afraid it might bump against the emergency release button while driving and the trunk lid would fly up, blocking the windshield.

If by chance something in the frunk were to hit the button while you were driving, the frunk will open but only partially. There's a second latch that will hold it down until you go into park.

ckoval7

Mild One
Sep 19, 2018
Maryland
I don't think anyone has ever had that issue in the first place to know the answer. Maybe an email to Tesla would better answer your question.
Really it would take some serious force for something to press that button and I don't think it's a realistic concern.

MP3Mike

Feb 1, 2016
Oregon
I don't think anyone has ever had that issue in the first place to know the answer. Maybe an email to Tesla would better answer your question.
Really it would take some serious force for something to press that button and I don't think it's a realistic concern.

Actually people have reported that an item in the Frunk pressed the button while driving. But it doesn't fully release the hood.

Reactions: RobRainVid

WilliamG

Apr 20, 2019
Seattle, WA
Actually people have reported that an item in the Frunk pressed the button while driving. But it doesn't fully release the hood.

But it does disable the wipers I recall reading. Easy to test. Release the frunk and see if wipers work. So if it happened in the rain it might be an issue.

dhanson865

Feb 16, 2013
Knoxville, Tennessee
Thanks for the video link! She watched it and now she's OK with using the frunk. Tesla should mention the safety latch in the manual.

Don't show here this post if you aren't sure of the ramifications:

By the way the Frunk has an electronic release that can fail. If you put perishables in there like say a load of groceries and that latch mechanism fails it's difficult (not impossible but it will seem so) to get into until a service center or mobile service technician fixes it.

Front trunk/frunk stuck

Not a bad idea to avoid putting things in there that could spoil. Also not a bad idea to learn how to get in there if the latch fails.

Probably not the place to put your heart medicine or an epipen or anything like that where time to get into the Frunk could cost you dearly.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC