Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the extra $$ for the Long Range AWD worth it over the Standard RWD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi! I recently ordered a Standard Tesla Model 3 but wondering if it's worth upgrading now to the Long Range? Obviously winds up being nearly $10K difference plus I live in Massachusetts which means I don't qualify for rebate of $2,500 at that stage since car will come in over $50,000. I wish you got a little more for the money in terms of back seat leg room or something besides some extra MPGs. Thanks!

I have lived in Mass, new Hampshure . I really like the danger of driving
a rear wheel drive there. I did like to dig my car out on occasion. One outing
in a nor'easter and the AWD LR will be a warmer experence.

Hi! I recently ordered a Standard Tesla Model 3 but wondering if it's worth upgrading now to the Long Range? Obviously winds up being nearly $10K difference plus I live in Massachusetts which means I don't qualify for rebate of $2,500 at that stage since car will come in over $50,000. I wish you got a little more for the money in terms of back seat leg room or something besides some extra MPGs. Thanks!

You do get more than "more mpg's". For one, the car is significantly faster. That may not mean anything to you, but thats like saying that a car that comes with a 6 cylinder engine is the same as that same car that comes with a 4 cylinder engine.

I am not going to comment on the "worth it" part because there is plenty of information on SR vs LR here... tons in fact, and its all a personal decision, on the "worth" of a car thats faster, with a better stock sound system, and all wheel drive (in a place that gets snow) vs not having those things.

I have lived in Mass, new Hampshure . I really like the danger of driving
a rear wheel drive there. I did like to dig my car out on occasion. One outing
in a nor'easter and the AWD LR will be a warmer experence.
I know good point. Though it's funny, the guy at the Tesla dealership was really selling me hard on the standard which he said is what he has - he felt like the car was heavy enough to be okay in NE winters. I thinks me will upgrade.

I know good point. Though it's funny, the guy at the Tesla dealership was really selling me hard on the standard which he said is what he has - he felt like the car was heavy enough to be okay in NE winters. I thinks me will upgrade.

I live in a warm climate (where I can have summer tires year round) but I like cars, and know that having the right tires in snow is way more important than RWD vs AWD when you are in snow.

RWD Vs AWD helps you start moving, tires will help you stop. That being said, an AWD car with the correct tires is better than a RWD car with the correct tires, in the snow... but people drive RWD cars in snow all the time, safely, with the correct tires.

I have a model 3 Performance, so I obviously thought it was "worth it" but as I said its a personal decision, because it also depends on how much that extra money actually impacts you, and thats different for everyone.

Howdy- I'm in the Boston area, ordered my Model 3 last month. As noted, lots to read on this, but short answer, at least for me (and many on forum) is that yes, LR is worth is for increased range and AWD. In talking with others, I've heard RWD is "ok" in snow, but AWD is better, Also, the cost for Model 3 LR AWD is under 50K (just checked again on ordering). If you want the Full Self Drive, just order it after you get the car.

What's the most you imagine driving in a day outside of the rare long distance road trip?

The SR+ is a fine road trip car. Stopping to charge on road trips every few hours really isn't annoying. But if you are having to think about your charge on a day-to-day basis you will regret not getting the most range you could. If the SR plus is all you can afford go for it. But if the LR is within your reach that's the one most people should go for.

250 miles sounds like a lot. But that's not really how far you can expect to go in a day without having to worry about charging. The real number to think about is 62. 62 miles each way (125 miles round-trip).

Because you don't charge to 100% every day. And you don't ever drive until 0%. And your average consumption will be greater than the rated, especially in the winter. And the battery continues to drain when you are parked. And your battery will degrade over time. When you add up all of those losses it can add up to close to 50%.

If you drive further than that on a regular basis you all wish you had more range.

Long Range should come in just under $50K, unless you get both red and 19" wheels. (Assuming that you don't get FSD, that is.) Also assuming that Massachusetts doesn't include transportation and documentation fees as part of the price of the car.

19" wheels with any other color, or 18" wheels with any color, will still be under $50K.

AWD seems to be the best value for $

Longest range
Good acceleration (all Teslas are pretty good though)
Premium interior / audio
Available acceleration boost upgrade
Resale value should be better (but we don’t actually know yet)
Thanks! I just upgraded. It wasn't sitting right with me thinking about it every day that I was settling for the "cheapest" Tesla ;)

Long Range should come in just under $50K, unless you get both red and 19" wheels. (Assuming that you don't get FSD, that is.) Also assuming that Mass doesn't include transportation and documentation fees as part of the price of the car.
Thanks. Yeah I wasn't willing to settle on color for exterior so upgraded there but kept regular tires. On website it says my total due is $53,458.

I felt it was worth it for four reasons: (a) more fun (b) better traction in snow etc (c) extra range (d) better resale based on AWD being the sweet spot.

Howdy- I'm in the Boston area, ordered my Model 3 last month. As noted, lots to read on this, but short answer, at least for me (and many on forum) is that yes, LR is worth is for increased range and AWD. In talking with others, I've heard RWD is "ok" in snow, but AWD is better, Also, the cost for Model 3 LR AWD is under 50K (just checked again on ordering). If you want the Full Self Drive, just order it after you get the car.
Nice to see a fellow Bostonian on here. I wound up getting the silver metallic exterior and white interior but when I modeled out online it says $48,990 but guy I worked with at Tesla dealership in Natick tells me the extra $1,300 is Destination and Documentation fee. With sales tax car is costing me $53,458.