Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the front plate required in California???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
California law requires it. I don’t mind having a front license and understand why others leave it off for aesthetics. However, there have been past incidents with another vehicle where dash cams or Sentry Mode couldn’t identify the driver because of missing front license plate. Some remove the front plate for looks and some do it to avoid identification.

This has nothing to do with Tesla really. Many people don't have front plates on BMW, Lexus, Honda, Toyota, etc.... It's like the no tint in front windows law. Look around and see how many car's front windows were tinted. It's also like driving 75 on the freeway. They are all illegal, but very unlikely you are going to get pulled over in the LA area. I heard it could happened more likely up north. People who has no front plates here knew the cities that will ticket you when you park there without front plates... like Santa Monica and Beverly Hills.

According to police officers on the dash does not meet requirements. What are you citing that shows it does?
My nephew got pulled over by a police because he has his front license plate on the dash. He got ticketed because of that. This was at Irvine. He also heard that license plate on the dash counts, but I guess maybe only if you are parked. He probably won't even get pulled over if he didn't have the plate on the dash at all. Half the cars in Irvine have no front plates!

The law has some text about being "securely fastened", which is why the plate on the dash does not meet the law. My buddy had gotten numerous tickets on his BMW by doing this. That being said, I have not mounted a front plate on my Y yet (10 months so far). I also have a Mazda with no front plate and I've had that for going on four years (no tickets). Of course I'm sure I just jinxed myself.... IF I get a ticket, I have a nice (and legal) vinyl front plate that I'm going to mount and be done with it.

Reactions: Investor9872
The dash does not meet the requirement (whether parked or not). I got a fix-it ticket for it.
California Vehicle Code states that both front and rear plates must be securely fastened to the vehicle at all times, to prevent movement... This is why having a plate on the dash does not count. The other requirement is that the plate must be clearly visible and legible... Being on the dash does not meet this requirement either, because the windshield reflections can obstruct the view. Same reason plate covers are also technically illegal.

California Vehicle Code states that both front and rear plates must be securely fastened to the vehicle at all times, to prevent movement... This is why having a plate on the dash does not count. The other requirement is that the plate must be clearly visible and legible... Being on the dash does not meet this requirement either, because the windshield reflections can obstruct the view. Same reason plate covers are also technically illegal.
I actually had mine taped up to the glass so that it wasn't going to move around, but that's still not considered "fastened" obviously. I knew I was running the risk of getting a ticket, but I was just lazy to get the plate installed in the front (plus I had no trouble when it was just the temp plate).

I actually had mine taped up to the glass so that it wasn't going to move around, but that's still not considered "fastened" obviously. I knew I was running the risk of getting a ticket, but I was just lazy to get the plate installed in the front (plus I had no trouble when it was just the temp plate).
Only time I was able to get out of a no front plate ticket, is when some idiot backed into me, and broke my tow-hook plate adapter, so I threw it in the trunk... So when I got pulled over for speeding, I showed the officer my busted plate holder in the trunk, he let me off on that one... Won't work if you are parked and you get ticketed by a meter maid tho...

Reactions: TessP100D