Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the front plate required in California???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Certain cities, like Beverly Hills and San Diego, are famous for checking parking structures and lots. Easy tickets. Carry the plate with you and place it on the dash when you park. That meets the requirements.

Vehicle Code 5200 VC – Display of License Plates-

(a) When two license plates are issued by the department for use upon a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which they were issued, one in the front and the other in the rear.

A violation of VC 5200 is charged as an infraction (as opposed to a misdemeanor or felony). The offense is punishable by a fine of $197.00.
Note that a violation does not result in any points being assessed to a driver’s DMV record.

Unfortunately, the *front* in this case does not include inside-the-windshield. You run the risks, you take your chances. Plenty of people have run windshield plates, or no plates for tens of years and never been caught. Then there's people who took it off and got a ticket that same day. All depends on who you run across and what sort of day they're having. Seeing how many cars out there have no front plates, it looks like its very low on the pole for getting ticketed. Also, if you're wondering, vehicles like motorcycles are issued only one plate. Cars (like Teslas) are generally issued two.

Last edited:
Here in SF it is $121 when written by a meter maid for a parked car. It gets reduced to $10 if you fix it and get it signed off by a meter maid or police officer. Not sure how much it is if CHP writes you up.
This. I'll buy a plate mount when I have to. I have never mounted a front plate to any of our cars, decades.... If it ever comes to it I'll get a mount for the wife's Y. Imo, if you don't drive like an arsehat you'll be fine. If you make the cops look for anything to pull you over for, having no front plate handing them yourself on a platter.

This. I'll buy a plate mount when I have to. I have never mounted a front plate to any of our cars, decades.... If it ever comes to it I'll get a mount for the wife's Y. Imo, if you don't drive like an arsehat you'll be fine. If you make the cops look for anything to pull you over for, having no front plate handing them yourself on a platter.
I didn't run front plates until I began receiving tickets from meter maids in Santa Monica and Beverly Hills. Think it started getting bad in 2018.

Bought a Quick Bandit for my new car just to avoid this hassle.

I didn't run front plates until I began receiving tickets from meter maids in Santa Monica and Beverly Hills. Think it started getting bad in 2018.

Bought a Quick Bandit for my new car just to avoid this hassle.

Same here. The no front plate parking tickets from Santa Monica and Beverly Hills are really not that bad, but they add up! I think they were like $25 to $50. The no parking tickets on sweeping days on some cities are much higher.

Reactions: ucsdsig
As I posted in a similar thread, I got a ticket for parking in a LAX lot without a front plate for 2 hours. It was about a decade ago and I decided to stay legal after that. I got the license plate wrap for my blue LR Y. The detailer who installed my PPF, put it on and I have had no problems with the radar or other sensors to my knowledge. The wrap was also cheaper than the various quick removal adapters.

Obscured License Plate.jpg

Like many others, I don't like it, so I never put it on. Coming on 6 months now. I live in a city/area where cops and CHP have other fish to fry, so I'm not super worried about it (probably jinxed myself here). Same thing with parking people, I park on the street every day, haven't had issues yet. When I first got the car, I told myself that I would see if I get a ticket for it within the first year. If I do, I'll probably add the plate, if I don't I'll ride with it... But if I moved in an area that is clearly hunting those down to meet quotas, I'd consider putting it up.

That being said, it has nothing to do with Teslas. I had an idiot in a Kia yesterday behind me who didn't have a front plate, many mercedes, BMW or even Chevy go around without front license plates.

• Funny
Reactions: alexcue
Have not run front plates in CA for the last 9 years. I've had two direct police interactions (one speeding ticket, and once after being rear-ended) and never had an issue. My office is near a precinct so I drive by LEOs every day. But I don't street park often.

Got pulled over at LAX for no front plates and having tint in the front. Too much of a hassle to remove and put tint back on again. I now just put the front plates on in hopes of not having to deal with getting ticketed for front tint.

License plate wrap is great. I couldn't deal with the stress, so I just slapped it on my car. Also nice to be completely legal. Just be sure to put it low enough to not interfere with the radar (probably less of an issue on the Model Y - and not an issue at all for the newer cars, lol). Just have to carry the explanatory note from the DMV around in your glovebox just in case you run into a cop who doesn't understand license plate wraps (seems unlikely at this point).

Not advertising, but just for information, this is the location of this wrap (since many seem unfamiliar with it). Up to $70 now! Used to be $50. Inflation...:

I Had a Corvette from 2002 - 2012, no front plate
BMW 550 2012-2021, no front plate
MYP March 2021 -on, no front plate.
Personally I really dislike front plates and I guess I am lucky that I've never gotten a ticket for not having one.

California law requires it. I don’t mind having a front license and understand why others leave it off for aesthetics. However, there have been past incidents with another vehicle where dash cams or Sentry Mode couldn’t identify the driver because of missing front license plate. Some remove the front plate for looks and some do it to avoid identification.
Really? That seems like a goofy theory. I would guess 99.999999% or more do it strictly for looks. I never risked the ticket when living in CA but did risk a fix-it ticket for what was then illegal dark tint on front windows and was promptly busted.

Reactions: TessP100D