Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the front plate required in California???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Certain cities, like Beverly Hills and San Diego, are famous for checking parking structures and lots. Easy tickets. Carry the plate with you and place it on the dash when you park. That meets the requirements.
Bad advice. You can still get a ticket with the front plate on your dash because it is not clearly visible. CVC 5200(a) “When two license plates are issued by the department for use upon a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which they were issued, one in the front and the other in the rear." Since a plate in the windshield is not "attached" (or readily visible) you are in violation.

Before Tesla, we did BMW's using their European delivery program. First one we drove for 2 weeks around Europe and had it shipped to Maryland, but while it was being shipped we transferred to CA. Had it trucked here and it still had the tags from Germany on it. We ordered personalized plates with the same number/letters as the German plate and left the front plate from Germany on. No problems. When we replaced the car with another BMW - same thing - went to Germany to vacation and take delivery there (actually a nice program). When it arrived in Calif, we did the same. Two years into it we got pulled over in Bakersfield and the cop demanded we remove the front plate. While I was about to unscrew the plate as the cop was writing a ticket he asked if I knew my tag number. I pointed at the German plate and said "It's the same". He tore up the ticket and left. Don't know why - still not legal. We kept it on and sold it that way. But don't mind having both personalized tags on the 3 Teslas we have owned.

Reactions: Russell
California law requires it. I don’t mind having a front license and understand why others leave it off for aesthetics. However, there have been past incidents with another vehicle where dash cams or Sentry Mode couldn’t identify the driver because of missing front license plate. Some remove the front plate for looks and some do it to avoid identification.
I was caught for a felony because I HAD a front plate. So I want everyone to have a front plate.

• Funny
Reactions: thesmokingman
Do tell procedure

$85 - Had one on my latest Tesla for almost two years now.

https://licenseplatewrap.com/shop

rs=w_1300,h_800.jpg