Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the FSD price increase going to happen.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's kind of ridiculous that you didn't get a response since that question has been asked LOTS of times, and Tesla has clearly answered the question with a yes.
I'm sure there are tweets I've not seen. Outside of Twitter has there been anything said? I'd love to see one of these many sources you reference.

Sorry if I missed it - that's why I asked Tesla support. I know many, many here on the forum have said it - I just want to see something from Tesla besides a Tweet from a habitual liar. That's not too much to ask. If true, why not have service say so, even just to me when asked directly? Seems like free revenue for them if they would simply answer a direct question. The silence says a lot.

It's fairly clear to me AP 2.5 will get an upgrade to AP 3.0 if you bought FSD. Based on Elon's tweets anyway. It's less clear to me about AP 2.0. But like I said, the Twitter feed is not an authoritative source of info for me.

I'm sure there are tweets I've not seen. Outside of Twitter has there been anything said? I'd love to see one of these many sources you reference.

Sorry if I missed it - that's why I asked Tesla support. I know many, many here on the forum have said it - I just want to see something from Tesla besides a Tweet from a habitual liar. That's not too much to ask. If true, why not have service say so, even just to me when asked directly? Seems like free revenue for them if they would simply answer a direct question. The silence says a lot.

It's fairly clear to me AP 2.5 will get an upgrade to AP 3.0 if you bought FSD. Based on Elon's tweets anyway. It's less clear to me about AP 2.0. But like I said, the Twitter feed is not an authoritative source of info for me.
You would've gotten an answer if Elon hadn't had to lay off tons of service positions in a desperate attempt to achieve profitability.
Profitability wouldn't be so distant if it weren't for bone headed moves like:
1) solar city purchase
2) continuing to invest in solar roof which will be so costly they will never sell enough to make a profit
3) charging snakes
4) unnecessary features that will be a burden to maintain like falcon wing doors
5) poor quality control across all models requiring tons of parts being replaced and other stuff like repainting crappy work
6) poor protection on new vehicles being shipped across country resulting in damage in transit resulting in #5 which eats into already razor thin profit margins

I could go on.. it's just sad because the cars are so great and the company has so much potential

• Informative
Reactions: am_dmd
You would've gotten an answer if Elon hadn't had to lay off tons of service positions in a desperate attempt to achieve profitability.
1) solar city purchase
2) continuing to invest in solar roof which will be so costly they will never sell enough to make a profit
3) charging snakes
4) unnecessary features that will be a burden to maintain like falcon wing doors
5) poor quality control across all models requiring tons of parts being replaced and other stuff like repainting crappy work
6) poor protection on new vehicles being shipped across country resulting in damage in transit resulting in #5 which eats into already razor thin profit margins

I could go on
Yea... I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Elon knows more then you on just about every level.

Name ONE PRODUCT he hasn't delivered (albeit late). There isn't one.

1) solar city purchase
3) charging snakes

I could go on.. it's just sad because the cars are so great and the company has so much potential

Please do (go on)...

• Funny
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
Yea... I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Elon knows more then you on just about every level.

The HW1 cars were supposed to park themselves and come to where ever you are (eg. In front of your house) so you can just hop right in.
Early promise: car is a mobile hot spot you can use it as such.
Early promise: supercharging doesn't hurt the battery. 90kwH packs?
Spotify coming to the US
APIs for developers to build their own apps
Supercharger snakes

I could go on... I suppose if you give someone infinite amounts of time they could eventually deliver, but if you say he hasn't delivered on a single thing/product he's promised, well I beg to differ.

What Tesla has achieved is amazing. But that doesn't mean there aren't broken promises galore out there..
Supercharging will always be free
You'll always get a service loaner nicer than the car you have...

My point is he makes promises he doesn't need to make. Most of the people buying these cars aren't buying them because of some random promise Elon made. They buy them because they want the car. But once they have the car, they start to get irritated by all the snake oil and may not buy again. Or refer again. In my case I've referred 3 ppl and gotten 0 referral credits. They literally told me my friends didn't provide the referral credit when we have emails documenting otherwise. On and on. It's destroying credibility and there was never any reason to make those promises. The cars are awesome enough without the promises that have fallen short. Stop making promises and just deliver kick ass cars dude!

My point is he makes promises he doesn't need to make. Most of the people buying these cars aren't buying them because of some random promise Elon made. They buy them because they want the car. But once they have the car, they start to get irritated by all the snake oil and may not buy again. Or refer again. In my case I've referred 3 ppl and gotten 0 referral credits. They literally told me my friends didn't provide the referral credit when we have emails documenting otherwise. On and on. It's destroying credibility and there was never any reason to make those promises. The cars are awesome enough without the promises that have fallen short. Stop making promises and just deliver kick ass cars dude!

After spending time in a service and store location I'm quite sure some employees put in their buddy's referral instead of the real referral and get kickbacks.

Reactions: mjptech
I'm sure there are tweets I've not seen. Outside of Twitter has there been anything said? I'd love to see one of these many sources you reference

I believe I have ZERO sources outside either tweets or articles on electrek.co that reference a tweet. Hence the joke I made about twitter being a requirement for Tesla ownership.

There might be some TMC posts on it.

It's fairly clear to me AP 2.5 will get an upgrade to AP 3.0 if you bought FSD. Based on Elon's tweets anyway. It's less clear to me about AP 2.0.

There has been zero reason to speculate any difference whatsoever in the way they will handle 2.0 vs. 2.5, nor have there been any statements made that could reasonably be interpreted to include one but not the other.

Forum- and Twitter-induced paranoia from the crazies even got a direct response from the CEO of the company addressing it definitively.

Should they have answered your email? Sure. But they don’t even answer emails with legitimate questions and concerns these days, let alone made up ones.

The HW1 cars were supposed to park themselves and come to where ever you are (eg. In front of your house) so you can just hop right in.
Early promise: car is a mobile hot spot you can use it as such.
Early promise: supercharging doesn't hurt the battery. 90kwH packs?
Spotify coming to the US
APIs for developers to build their own apps
Supercharger snakes

I could go on... I suppose if you give someone infinite amounts of time they could eventually deliver, but if you say he hasn't delivered on a single thing/product he's promised, well I beg to differ.

What Tesla has achieved is amazing. But that doesn't mean there aren't broken promises galore out there..
Supercharging will always be free
You'll always get a service loaner nicer than the car you have...

Not everything works out (ie that was the plan for AP1 before the Mobieye split).

I think the benefit of the tweets are we get unprecedented line of thought from a person that can and does make decisions of a multi billion dollar company that directly affects us...the end consumer...usually in a matter of days or weeks. The downside is, sometimes those plans or intentions change. That's the trade-off. Apple doesn't have this problem with Tim Cook, but then, we never know what they're going to do, and new feature updates take a year!!! I'm pretty happy with the arrangement personally.

Apart from FSD itself? The thing that was "3 months, 6 months defintiely" over two years ago

Or the solar roof tile that is still not really here

If you're prepared to wait indefinitely then of course he's not failed to deliver, you just put it in the "still coming" bucket as opposed to the "not coming" one

• Funny
Reactions: Bill_75D and jebinc
He said August 16.

Just like he said al cars shipped are HW ready for FSD. Which is not true as there are cars shipped with HW2.5. Just like he said you can upgrade your MCU which you cannot.

I admire Elon for his achievements, I love my Model X but I cann't stand these lies and broke promises. I wish someone would take his Twitter account away because he clearly cannot handle it.

Elon has now clarified that it indeed will go up AFTER smart summon has a wide release.

https://electrek.co/2019/08/20/tesla-v10-smart-summon-postponed-full-self-driving-price-increase/

I'm not too confident that Smart Summon will ever get released. Elon always has the caveat of "depending on how early access goes".

So far early access for smart summon has never gone all that well. :p

Last edited:
So if you take the original date (07/16/19) of the Aug 16th date for the FSD price increase into account what do you have with this latest announcement?
3 months maybe 6 months DEFINITELY

And some of you wonder why us “old timers around here” are so jaded with Elon prognostications...past performance IS indicative for Elon. I’m not surprised and I posted somewhere on here that it wouldn’t happen and it would not be late by a week or two but by months. SMH SMH SMH

I am still waiting to see any of the AP1 features I was promised other than lane keeping assistance and self parking (I was promised summon that would find me anywhere on private property, not a glorified giant RC car controller). Are you saying these are coming and I just have to wait?

Also waiting to get that 85kWh battery I was sold.

I love my Tesla and I have had good experiences with the company but pretending they deliver on Elon's Twitter nonsense is just...well, it's pretending, and that's that.

Reactions: docl and KJD
Not being able to accurately predict 1 month ahead that a major technical upgrade will happen that's been worked on for years is pretty bad. Now, a month after the original prediction, it appears it's at least another 1 to 2 months away, so a 3x slip if you choose to believe the current predictions. The only company I've seen that made that kind of error had willfully blind management. As one of my female coworkers said of our male boss: "I wonder what goes on in that pretty little head of his". We finally released the product 18 months later.

I'll be astonished if the car will really come find you in a parking lot a year from now, or even 2 years from now except for a few very special cases.

Of course, Tesla did pick up a bunch of cash due to that bad prediction and I've not noticed any offers to return it either.

Not being able to accurately predict 1 month ahead that a major technical upgrade will happen that's been worked on for years is pretty bad. Now, a month after the original prediction, it appears it's at least another 1 to 2 months away, so a 3x slip if you choose to believe the current predictions. The only company I've seen that made that kind of error had willfully blind management. As one of my female coworkers said of our male boss: "I wonder what goes on in that pretty little head of his". We finally released the product 18 months later.

I'll be astonished if the car will really come find you in a parking lot a year from now, or even 2 years from now except for a few very special cases.

Of course, Tesla did pick up a bunch of cash due to that bad prediction and I've not noticed any offers to return it either.
I asked Tesla for a $6000 return for FSD. Crickets. I did hear laughter all the way to the bank, however.

I believe that people are foolish to judge Elon by what he tweets. Believe that is just a stream of consciousness that is conversational. It is not intended by the tweeter to be anything more than just a summary of how he thinks things will be going. Lots of factors between a tweet and bringing it to actuality.

Better to judge a person by what they have done. While Elon has not accomplished every detail that he has tweeted, few can deny that his accomplishments are among the greats.

Bring out Roadster. Production and proof of concept.
Bring out Model S and ramp to mass production
Bring out Model X. One of the most amazing vehicles available today. Ramp to mass production.
Bring out Model 3 and ramp to become the best selling (by $) EV in the universe.
Build Giga factory and produce more Li EV batteries than the rest of the world combined.
Build first Gigafactory in China. First whole owned factory in China.
Developed and launched the first reusable orbital rockets. reduced the cost of putting a lb. of payload into orbit below any other launcher in the world.
Inspired and led the way to produce the first full scale Hyperloop to operate at speed.
Drilled the first boring tunnels at costs far below ever before possible.

Some may disagree with some of these accomplishments, but he still ranks with some of the best of all time.
There are other accomplishments I did not think of off the top of my head, but others may feel free to add to the list.

A tweet is just a tweet. Hard to hold someone to a tweet.

Kind of tired of hearing people whine...but he PROMISED!

Better to judge a person by what they have done. While Elon has not accomplished every detail that he has tweeted, few can deny that his accomplishments are among the greats.

Bring out Roadster. Production and proof of concept.
Bring out Model S and ramp to mass production
Bring out Model X. One of the most amazing vehicles available today. Ramp to mass production.
Bring out Model 3 and ramp to become the best selling (by $) EV in the universe.
Build Giga factory and produce more Li EV batteries than the rest of the world combined.
Build first Gigafactory in China. First whole owned factory in China.
Developed and launched the first reusable orbital rockets. reduced the cost of putting a lb. of payload into orbit below any other launcher in the world.
Inspired and led the way to produce the first full scale Hyperloop to operate at speed.
Drilled the first boring tunnels at costs far below ever before possible.
And yet, they cant make my Spotify stutterfree,my browser work, and fix my airbag light turning on every single drive due to badly coded V9 software for older cars with MCU1.

Yes Tesla has accomplished a lot, but the details that actually matters for the everyday user are lacking..

Completely agree with the Twitter comment - it is however impossible to get any usable info from the employees at service centers.. They simply dont know enough about the cars and what to expect from Tesla in the future..

I think your last point is the one - I think Musk knew full well it wasn't going to happen, but by talking it up, threatening pending price increases etc suckered some into buying thinking they were going to save a few dollars.

Thats manupulative behaviour and abusing his customer base if it was a cold calculated action to raise some cash. I am surprised more people don't see it for that. And its far from the first time he's done it.

I can't wrap my head around why he even bothered to tell people the price would go up on August 16th.

Right after he tweeted that there were also tweets about how it was tied to the expected release of enhanced summon. So he already knew way back when he announced it that it depended on enhanced summon.

So why announce a price increase? Especially with the history of delays enhanced summon has had. It's not like he didn't also say "it almost doesn't suck" within the same general time period.

The obvious answer to the price hike tweet is a cash grab. But,. how many people really have $6K sitting around to upgrade from Basic AP to FSD?

Or how many people are really going to buy a Tesla sooner than later just to avoid the possibility of paying $1K more? Especially considering how often the price shifts either way.

Instead I have to wonder if the ENTIRE thing was just publicity.

The talk about how FSD is going to make the car more valuable. Even the talk about how the price is delayed causes media attention.

To me it seems like Elon is just stirring the pot. Creating complete fabrications out of thin air.

I wonder what he's going have to tweet about now that talk of enhanced summon is benched for 4-8 weeks?

Reactions: jebinc and am_dmd