Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the heat pump supposed to be this loud? Also, it chirps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I came to a 2022 M3LR from a 2018 M3LR. One of the big differences is the M3 now has a heat pump. Currently it's pretty cold here, it's been between 5 and 15 degrees while I've been out. I'm surprised at how loud the heat pump is, particularly when I'm standing still, but it's also loud enough for me to notice when I'm driving around at city speeds. I also noticed an odd chirping sound when I was outside the car and the heat was still on.

First recording is the sound from inside the car. You might have to turn it up to hear, but I turn off the climate control part way through to hear the difference it makes.
In-cabin sound

Second recording is from me outside the car with the phone right near the front bumper.
Garage Squeak

My ‘21 is loud too, and the other day when leaving work it was chirping exactly like that. First time I had ever heard it (car is 9 months old), and was really cold out. I’ve not heard it since, but it’s not been as cold as that one day last week.

Tim

Last edited:
Earlier builds 2021 models do not have this issue. Oh boy you gotta read this thread in the Y forum.

Earlier builds 2021 models do not have this issue. Oh boy you gotta read this thread in the Y forum.

Crazy long thread, read the first couple of pages. If you have been following, any comments about the chirp buried in there?

Tim

Yes my fan chirps when it is humid.

As for the noise of the heat pump, it is very loud when it is cold out. I wish they had left heating elements to supplement the HVAC when it was cold out rather than just use the compressor itself to generate heat. It does make me concerned about the longevity of the system. You should hear it at -30°C. It's almost embarrassing when you are at a stop light it is so loud.

I came to a 2022 M3LR from a 2018 M3LR. One of the big differences is the M3 now has a heat pump. Currently it's pretty cold here, it's been between 5 and 15 degrees while I've been out. I'm surprised at how loud the heat pump is, particularly when I'm standing still, but it's also loud enough for me to notice when I'm driving around at city speeds. I also noticed an odd chirping sound when I was outside the car and the heat was still on.

First recording is the sound from inside the car. You might have to turn it up to hear, but I turn off the climate control part way through to hear the difference it makes.
In-cabin sound

Second recording is from me outside the car with the phone right near the front bumper.
Garage Squeak
°C or °F. Big difference. When it gets down to below freezing it can get noisy as it is working pretty hard.

°F. I agree that I wish they kept some resistive elements in there for when it's really cold out. The heat pump is just too loud and unrefined.

Honestly I find the cricket chirp noise more annoying. I know they would fix it, but I don't want to drive 1.5 hrs each way to the nearest service center just for this, so I'll probably just deal with it until they open one closer to me, or I have another service need.