Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the high windshield safe?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Snarky response: Yes, that's your imagination.

Less snarky: Moose and our other large cervid, Wapiti (aka "elk" in NoAm) in themselves may be of concern only in about a dozen US states and most Canadian provinces, but the still-hefty white-tailed and mule deer are clear and very present dangers in, I think, 49 states. Caribou are a problem only in Alaska and some Canadian provinces.

I have yet to see any car ads tutting elk avoiding prowess in press or TV.

The reason why this is not a concern in US is that there were 600 moose collisions per year in Maine (data I could find) compared to (someone here wrote) >3k in Sweden.

Attachments

• BearMooseMaine.JPG
    BearMooseMaine.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Grizzly Bear
Which would have been my first choice as well. Second choice that isn't a Moose, Musk Ox.

While we never hit a moose in a car when I was a kid growing up in Jackson, WY I do remember having them ALL over town in the winter. A pair even slept in our back yard one night. I also remember seeing them wander through town in broad daylight as well has having one cruising down the road a couple cars in front of us at the bottom of Teton Pass.

Which reminds me of another large North American animal you don't want to hit, Bison.

Edit: Geeze! Guess I'm too slow. Half a dozen or so responses in a couple minutes!

If I could give ohmman more points I would but, alas, I must spread them around first! ;-)

I have yet to see any car ads tutting elk avoiding prowess in press or TV.

The reason why this is not a concern in US is that there were 600 moose collisions per year in Maine (data I could find) compared to (someone here wrote) >3k in Sweden.

That's the 5-year average collisions per MONTH.

The problem with moose is that at night they're the same damn color as the road. The only way you know they're there is that the center line or the fog line (if there is one) has a chunk missing.

The incidence rate is probably declining throughout the US - their range is moving north because it's not getting cold enough in winter here anymore to kill their tick infestations. Heck, I don't think we've even had a night of -10F here yet this winter.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Model X windshield was actually part of the safety system (or in other words, designed to help with energy transfer).

And as others mentioned, just because you can see the danger doesn't necessarily mean the material is less safe than a normal car roof (which isn't made out of high-strength steel/allow in normal cars).

Goneskiian gets it: American bison it is. Those *%$@! things are twice the size of moose.

We have, fortunately, only one herd in Alaska whose terrain intersects with our road system. Unfortunately, it is in the lands just north of us, so we pass through it when driving to Fairbanks. And if moose tend to be fearless, bison are even more complacent.

About two years ago we were able to keep to the road in near-whiteout conditions only by closely following the slow-moving truck in front of us. For mile after endless mile. So it was eery when all of a sudden - no warning whatsoever - the lights disappeared. "What happened to the truck?", the two of us wondered aloud, very most likely not using words that polite.

Moments later the monstrous apparition provided the answer, as the road-crossing bison stepped beyond those truck's lights and we missed him by a flick of his tail.

As far as Yukon/BC: there's a multi-hundred head herd right along the border, and decades ago they learned that the cleared right of way along the Alaskan Highway provided perfect browse for them. So the herd trundles north, then south, then north...all the time. Right next to the road. Aurora and Borealis learned as pups that that stretch of road provides paw-chilling excitement as the beasts, whose heads are as large as each malamute, will lumber right up to their windows.
IMG_1790.jpg
These are little cows and calves here.

Goneskiian gets it: American bison it is. Those *%$@! things are twice the size of moose.

We have, fortunately, only one herd in Alaska whose terrain intersects with our road system. Unfortunately, it is in the lands just north of us, so we pass through it when driving to Fairbanks. And if moose tend to be fearless, bison are even more complacent.

About two years ago we were able to keep to the road in near-whiteout conditions only by closely following the slow-moving truck in front of us. For mile after endless mile. So it was eery when all of a sudden - no warning whatsoever - the lights disappeared. "What happened to the truck?", the two of us wondered aloud, very most likely not using words that polite.

Moments later the monstrous apparition provided the answer, as the road-crossing bison stepped beyond those truck's lights and we missed him by a flick of his tail.

As far as Yukon/BC: there's a multi-hundred head herd right along the border, and decades ago they learned that the cleared right of way along the Alaskan Highway provided perfect browse for them. So the herd trundles north, then south, then north...all the time. Right next to the road. Aurora and Borealis learned as pups that that stretch of road provides paw-chilling excitement as the beasts, whose heads are as large as each malamute, will lumber right up to their windows.View attachment 109496These are little cows and calves here.
Hah! Sweet!

Thinking about how close to the road they get in Yellowstone is an image forever burned into my memory. That and the fact that they can sprint at 40mph when they feel the need.

About the only + I can imagine about Bison is that their center of mass is a lot lower than that of a moose so they *should* be less likely to end up *in* the windshield.

They certainly are massive though.

Oh, by the way - about muskoxen.

These Pleistocene relics really are small​! They stand up only about to my armpits. I've seen them roadside as well, but only way out of Nome, on the Seward Peninsula, which is not connected by road to the rest of Alaska...or Patagonia.

Interesting discussion. I came across these photos of a Model S and I was wondering if it would have been worse with the Model X, since the high-strength roof bar is much more in the rear:
T boned by deer (graphic photo)

In the pictures above, the roof bar seems to be what kept the passengers safe, because the windshield itself was caved in. In the Model X the whole front windshield is glass. What worries me is that we have moose here in Northern Europe and I am considering upgrading my Model S to a Model X. A moose crash is often lethal compared to hitting a deer because the animal is so tall and hits the windscreen. These people were lucky to survive:

Here you see the damage to a Volvo:

• Informative
Reactions: Frogwheels