Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the HomeLink menu a pain for anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m enjoying my newly acquired Model 3 a great deal! Naturally, though, I have found a spot for improvement in the software.

When I'm at home, wanting to back into my driveway, the HomeLink device menu pops down immediately when I shift into reverse, and takes up space at the top of the camera view — exactly where I’m aiming as I back up!

This is a big pain. I’d really like it if the HomeLink menu would _not_ appear when I’m in reverse, and looking at that camera view.

Even better, the HomeLink items would be best if they weren’t on a menu at all, but just appeared as small icons on the _bottom_ of the Navigation screen when one is in range of their locations.

Hopefully, I’m not the only one who would like this feature change.

Thoughts?

I’m enjoying my newly acquired Model 3 a great deal! Naturally, though, I have found a spot for improvement in the software.

When I'm at home, wanting to back into my driveway, the HomeLink device menu pops down immediately when I shift into reverse, and takes up space at the top of the camera view — exactly where I’m aiming as I back up!

This is a big pain. I’d really like it if the HomeLink menu would _not_ appear when I’m in reverse, and looking at that camera view.

Even better, the HomeLink items would be best if they weren’t on a menu at all, but just appeared as small icons on the _bottom_ of the Navigation screen when one is in range of their locations.

Hopefully, I’m not the only one who would like this feature change.

Thoughts?
Takes up space? Mine takes a little space but not enough to block the view

Reactions: Gasaraki
Takes up space? Mine takes a little space but not enough to block the view

Agreed. Maybe the OP has an extensive list of Homelink devices (not even sure if this is possible), but mine barely pops down into the camera's field of view. I actually appreciate the fact that it pops down and changes appearance so that I can get a visual confirmation of the fact that it will close my door in 20ft, 10ft, 5ft and then when I hear the beep I can visually make sure the door closes (very rarely it doesn't).

I have two doors at this house, and one at each of two other houses, so my menu is long. My thoughts are:
  1. If it's automatically opening the door for me, why do I need the menu to pop down?
  2. If I tap it to close it, and then go into reverse, why does it have to pop down _again_?
  3. If I'm in reverse and intending to go farther than a car-length (and slightly uphill), as I do when I come home, (my drive way is just over 2 carlengths), I am aiming for a point that's right under where the menu pops down -- I'd really like to see that clearly.
  4. If there were just little garage door icons near the _bottom_ of the screen, they wouldn't obscure anything. Especially if they only appeared when you were close to your home or other frequent destination, and really didn't need the map as much.
  5. I've seen some other posts about how drivers must reverse to exit their garage, and want to put the car into reverse and then immediately have the menu pop up. Wouldn't it be wiser to have the icons on the screen such that pulling down the menu wasn't needed at all?

Reactions: Ruffles
I have two doors at this house, and one at each of two other houses, so my menu is long. My thoughts are:
  1. If it's automatically opening the door for me, why do I need the menu to pop down?
  2. If I tap it to close it, and then go into reverse, why does it have to pop down _again_?
  3. If I'm in reverse and intending to go farther than a car-length (and slightly uphill), as I do when I come home, (my drive way is just over 2 carlengths), I am aiming for a point that's right under where the menu pops down -- I'd really like to see that clearly.
  4. If there were just little garage door icons near the _bottom_ of the screen, they wouldn't obscure anything. Especially if they only appeared when you were close to your home or other frequent destination, and really didn't need the map as much.
  5. I've seen some other posts about how drivers must reverse to exit their garage, and want to put the car into reverse and then immediately have the menu pop up. Wouldn't it be wiser to have the icons on the screen such that pulling down the menu wasn't needed at all?
1. Mine does not automatically open the door when I go in to reverse...
2. Huh? So yours pop down before you go in to reverse? Then you close it, then you go in to reverse? MIne only pops down once. If I close it, I have to tap the homelink icon to get the menu again.
4. All the icons at the bottom brings up a menu that obscures everything.
5. I reverse out of the garage and I don't need to bring down the homelink menu because it automatically pops down for me. I just hit it once to open the garage door.

Agreed. I have the same issue when backing out of my driveway.
When backing out of my driveway, it is literally blocking the view I need to see. It got worse with the UI redesign. Of course I'm old enough to have learned to drive without fancy backup cameras, so it's really just a small issue.

I'm not sure what my suggestion would be, if asked by Tesla. It does what it's supposed to do, it's just that my driveway incline makes it block the street until I'm almost in the street.

The simple solution (for me, anyway), is to drag the camera display DOWN so the homelink menu doesn't overlap. This will not allow you to use your side camera views while backing up, unfortunately. That's fine for me since I only use my driver's mirror and the reverse camera while backing into my garage

This wasn't an issue until they added the side-view camera view, which pushed the backup display higher on the screen where Homelink gets in the way. Small price to pay for newly added features, I suppose. Its easy enough to drag the display back up to the top if i need the side cameras (which so far, I never have)

The simple solution (for me, anyway), is to drag the camera display DOWN so the homelink menu doesn't overlap. This will not allow you to use your side camera views while backing up, unfortunately. That's fine for me since I only use my driver's mirror and the reverse camera while backing into my garage

This wasn't an issue until they added the side-view camera view, which pushed the backup display higher on the screen where Homelink gets in the way. Small price to pay for newly added features, I suppose. Its easy enough to drag the display back up to the top if i need the side cameras (which so far, I never have)
Actually, I do this method, too (don't use the side cameras when backing out at home). Sadly, with the angle of my driveway, this solution isn't perfect.

Same here, and it used to clear just before I reached then end of my driveway when I needed to see/check for cross traffic. I think with the UI revision it now hovers a little longer. Tiny annoyance, but one nonetheless.