Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Key Card Really Secure?

Masklin

Jan 9, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
I watched someone today fail to open his car because the phone was in his back pocket.. never had that issue myself but you have to be really close for the phone unlock to work.

Happens to me quite frequently, have to swing round a bit to give car a better view of back pocket. Not sure what that says about the size of my backside…

Reactions: init6

stopcrazypp

Dec 8, 2007
It can. It's not as simple is a fixed and lower frequency key fob found on the majority of vehicles on the market but it is technically possible.
I think the critical difference is the system is using some sort of triangulation based on bluetooth signal strength from multiple antennas, so a repeater would have to repeat the signals in a way that is consistent with that, which is a bigger challenge. It's not simply unlocking it just based on having any signal.

You will notice for example that even though your phone can connect to the bluetooth connection from fairly far away, you need to be much closer for lock/unlock to happen. Also it seems walking away from the car in the front seems to make walk-away unlock work much closer than from the back or sides.

Peter 224

May 9, 2021
Salisbury
With all the technology in a Tesla it wouldn't be difficult to include iPhone like facial recognition scanning to ensure only authorised users could drive. There would have to be a "Workshop Mode" as well as the Valet Mode.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC