Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Key Fob worth buying?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hiya! I'm new to the forum and I just ordered my Model 3 today!! I'm looking at the manual and accessories, and I see the Key Fob. How useful is it? Seems like I can do everything with my phone. Maybe it's good for valet parking or lending the car to a friend? Or is it just personal preference? Just wondering if some of you experts out that could give me some scenarios where the Key Fob makes sense. Thanks!

Hiya! I'm new to the forum and I just ordered my Model 3 today!! I'm looking at the manual and accessories, and I see the Key Fob. How useful is it? Seems like I can do everything with my phone. Maybe it's good for valet parking or lending the car to a friend? Or is it just personal preference? Just wondering if some of you experts out that could give me some scenarios where the Key Fob makes sense. Thanks!

Necessary? Not really, no. If you are used to carrying a key fob, or want to have something to give a valet that they recognize, or have something to give a family member / friend that they recognize, then sure.

I have one ( a gen 1 version ) that the only time I ever use is when I take the car to a tesla service center for something. I wont let anyone valet park it, and I dont lend it out to anyone. My wife has a keycard and her phone, and I have mine.

Some people prefer the familiarity but its not necessary at all, the combination of phone + keycard works fine.

Reactions: bobby g
Necessary? Not really, no. If you are used to carrying a key fob, or want to have something to give a valet that they recognize, or have something to give a family member / friend that they recognize, then sure.

I have one ( a gen 1 version ) that the only time I ever use is when I take the car to a tesla service center for something. I wont let anyone valet park it, and I dont lend it out to anyone. My wife has a keycard and her phone, and I have mine.

Some people prefer the familiarity but its not necessary at all, the combination of phone + keycard works fine.
Nicely stated. I am one of those people where I am most comfortable with a FOB. I did have use of a 3 for about a week and I did not like the experience of the card key or phone, but that is maybe just because I was not used to it. Frankly, I like the FOB in my pocket. I have a X with self presenting doors, so not the same as a 3. I can see people liking the idea of a card key. It is just not me.

Reactions: E Dizzle
Nicely stated. I am one of those people where I am most comfortable with a FOB. I did have use of a 3 for about a week and I did not like the experience of the card key or phone, but that is maybe just because I was not used to it. Frankly, I like the FOB in my pocket. I have a X with self presenting doors, so not the same as a 3. I can see people liking the idea of a card key. It is just not me.

The card key I don't care for much - to me, it's just a backup device, and nothing more.

My primary is the phone.... BUT - since getting our X, it's become a bit of a PITA. If I leave my Tesla app on Pumbaa (the X), the 3 doesn't recognize the phone-key. I have to go into the Tesla app, swipe back to Timon (the 3) and THEN it picks up the phone-key and unlocks the door. Hop in the butt -- to the point where I'm considering getting a fob. If I have to carry one for the X anyway, may as well carry two, if it saves me from getting PO'd at the app.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I just keep the one for my 3 that I bought on the same Keyring with my wifes BMW X3 key (which is fairly large, and looks like a shark tooth). Her car has passive entry, and my keyfob is the one that doesnt have passive entry. I leave both my keyfob and her key at home. I could see if we both had tesla's it would be annoying as @dmurphy says.

Hey @dmurphy does the "bluetooth priority device" help that situation you described at all, by prioritizing one car or the other for you? I dont know if this works in the situation you mention. I doubt it, but wonder.

I just keep the one for my 3 that I bought on the same Keyring with my wifes BMW X3 key (which is fairly large, and looks like a shark tooth). Her car has passive entry, and my keyfob is the one that doesnt have passive entry. I leave both my keyfob and her key at home. I could see if we both had tesla's it would be annoying as @dmurphy says.

Hey @dmurphy does the "bluetooth priority device" help that situation you described at all, by prioritizing one car or the other for you? I dont know if this works in the situation you mention. I doubt it, but wonder.

Thanks but unfortunately not - the BT priority device bit doesn't make a hill of beans of difference. I think (but could be wrong) it's more of an app problem on the iPhone. If I've swiped the app over to the X, it basically stops responding to the 3. I don't know why the BLE process can't run in the background for any/all registered cars. I mean, I sound like a total dingleberry complaining about how our 2nd Tesla works in the app -- but I'll do it anyway. Got enough karma points that I can afford to give up a few .... LOL

Reactions: jjrandorin
It really depends on your definition of "worth". To me it is worth it - I can unlock the charge port without going into the car, I can open the trunk with the remote and with the power lifgate it opens fully. Same for the frunk. Otherwise I have to either get out the phone, open app, wait for internet connection to wake up the car etc. - this is not a workings solution. To me totally worth it, use it every day!

It really depends on your definition of "worth". To me it is worth it - I can unlock the charge port without going into the car, I can open the trunk with the remote and with the power lifgate it opens fully.

That is what I thought I had to do at first.

Now I have the phone in my pocket and I can open the charge port just by pressing the button on the charger. I can open the trunk by pressing on the button above the license plate - pops right open. I can open any door. Nothing to it.

I don't bother with the frunk. I don't need it, plus I don't want fingerprints on it.

The only time I want the fob is to lock the doors. I have to open the tesla app (20 seconds) or use the key card to lock it.

Thank you! Very informative. Looks like I don't need a key fob :)

I definitely will pick one up. Sometimes it takes forever for the car to “wake up.” I’m also worried if I lose my phone. I’d rather just have a key in my pocket, at all times, which makes it safer.

I get desire to have a key in your pocket (thats why I bought one), but the keycard actually is the key, and never has any issues opening the car. Even if you have your phone with you and setup phone as key, most typically keep the keycard in their wallet, so you still "have a key in your pocket thats not your phone".

Reactions: DopeGhoti
My phone can open the trunk/frunk and unlock from the Notification bar on my phone without needing to wake the car up. I only need to actually dive into the app and wake the car up to fiddle with AC or Summon.
You always have to wake the car up. If it is sleeping that is, you probably have sentry on or keep the car awake. Otherwise it will always take 5-10 seconds to wake up.

Reactions: Anna St
Now I have the phone in my pocket and I can open the charge port just by pressing the button on the charger. I can open the trunk by pressing on the button above the license plate - pops right open. I can open any door. Nothing to it.

I don't bother with the frunk. I don't need it, plus I don't want fingerprints on it.

The only time I want the fob is to lock the doors. I have to open the tesla app (20 seconds) or use the key card to lock it.
Opening the charge port by hand breaks the charge port in the long run. Mine broke after a service guy opened it like that, needed a replacement... Also, you can't unlock the cable, either with the phone or inside the car.
Opening the trunk with the hand - sure, but in winter or raining dirty, with groceries almost impossible and can't be done from a distance unless with the app(wake time waiting)

Locking of doors works like BT on phone, but better. You can also unlock from the distance. I can't imagine going back to without keyfob, try it