TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Is the low power output at SOC forced or it just happens naturally?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by hanl1, Dec 1, 2015.

1. hanl1

hanl1 Member

I have been experiencing that as my 85D drops below ~40% the car will start to feel noticeably heavier and I would have to step down the pedal quite a bit further than before to maintain the same speed (or to achieve the same acceleration, if possible at all).
    I am just wondering whether this behavior is controlled by the computer to help reduce power usage, or is it so due to the nature of the battery?

My speculation towards the former stems from the fact that I do seem to drive more efficiently at low SoC. For example, tonight from ~35%-20% SoC I drove an average of 280kwh/mi with a 40F outside temperature and wet road from light rain. I would expect something around 330 based on previous similar situations.

2. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

At a certain point it will become battery limited. However, Tesla begins capping far before that happens so as to minimize degradation.

3. rdrcrmatt

rdrcrmatt Member

This.

Drawing high amperage on a battery that is low is hard on them and leads to excess heat which is also damaging. Trying to pull 100kw on a low battery means it has to use more amps because the volts are lower. I avoid heavy accelerations on my car as the battery gets lower than 40%. From just not flooring it anymore at 40%, to not going above an imaginary line as SoC gets lower. Eventually Tesla limits it for me but I try to keep it under their limits.

4. hanl1

hanl1 Member

Thanks. This makes sense.