Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the LTE upgrade a new MCU?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two anecdotal pieces of evidence to suggest this:

1.) A member on the forum mentioned he bought the upgrade and got a new MCU, which was missing the bubbles from his old MCU

2.) I am trying to get a goodwill replacement of my screen. They asked "is it 3G or LTE" so they know which replacement to order.

Does this suggest that an LTE upgrade is actually an MCU swap? Perhaps they send the old MCU back to Tesla to be refurbished with LTE for the next person (much like the DU milling issue). If this is true, then I should be able to buy the LTE upgrade and get a screen replacement in the process...

Can anyone confirm?

They are separate items.

Warranty on bubbles gets you a CPU and screen of the same kind as was original to car. Screen and CPU ship as a unit. (They may be able to do "just a screen" but.... easier as a pair).

They will move over the 3G to the new CPU, if that's what you have today. They can order / prepare a CPU + screen + 3G as a unit to save time in the field doing the swap. If you have 3G and don't say anything about wanting LTE, they'll order the package with 3G because they know. Tesla will decide on approach for your car.

If you want LTE say so. They may change their approach. (And not order anything to do with 3G, they may order a complete CPU + screen + LTE as a unit.. and charge you the LTE upgrade).

The LTE is not a CPU swap. They can put LTE on vintage / stock CPU, or a new CPU without any radio installed on it.

I was in similar position as you, not with bubbles on the screen, but with broken Nav that they attributed to requiring CPU swap.

I also wanted LTE upgrade, and asked "since you're going in for CPU, why not do a LTE, do I save on labor?" (which will be your next question)

I got the CPU done on warranty and paid for the LTE swap, which they performed in the field, all as one visit into the dash. They did not discount the LTE upgrade for savings on the labor for doing it at the same time. Rationale: it's a fixed price LTE upgrade. (i.e. take it or leave it)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: TaoJones
by the way, I think the LTE upgrade is not really worth it...

Nav screen maps paint tiles a bit faster.. but the overall experience is not greatly improved..

Who cares if an internet song finishes loading 1 second faster? when it basically starts playing just as soon... (I'm not a chronic fast-forwarder through slacker playlists... if you are.. then enjoy LTE more)

Basically, everything coming at your car is server-side speed constrained (via Tesla mothership... and other constraints). It's not a massive improvement to get the "last mile" (delivered to your car) happening "very quickly" when the journey all the way up to that point is ... kinda pokey.

Browsing is still ... slow.

• Informative
Reactions: Matias
Have found the LTE upgrade to be of significant benefit for streaming audio. Also makes a difference in Nav connectivity while traveling.

That said, the browser is still mostly useless for the reasons referenced above (chipset, browser app). Still can't display PDFs or get through a Design Studio session for prospective buyers/passengers which, 4 years into production is a tad embarrassing.

Reactions: markn455
If you use the Maps and traffic, it's worth it. I've had mine for several months and there is a big difference between LTE and 3G. I rarely use the browser because typing vertically is a pain, and never use Internet music (Music from the thumb drive is so much better).