Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Ludicrous upgrade still available for P85D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just reserved a CPO 2014 P85D and was wondering if I could still get the ludicrous upgrade. I'm not seeing it in the Tesla store anymore. I was hoping maybe I could get it done before I take delivery of the car.

I searched the forum for the answer but everything I saw was from 2015.

I would call up your local service center if you want to know definitively, but I'm pretty sure it's no longer available as it was selectable on the online store for some time and no longer is.

If you read owner accounts in this forum, the upgrade on a P85D was far less compelling than most had hoped, and frankly, they switched to the P90D or P100D if they wanted the ultimate performance.

Reports on P85D ludicrous upgraded cars look like 0.2 s 0-60mph improvement, maybe a titch more, but very little improvement 90mph ->
Whereas P90D (third battery generation) and P100D ludicrous upgrade is a major boost across the entire speed range.

• Disagree
Reactions: bhzmark
If you read owner accounts in this forum, the upgrade on a P85D was far less compelling than most had hoped, and frankly, they switched to the P90D or P100D if they wanted the ultimate performance.

Reports on P85D ludicrous upgraded cars look like 0.2 s 0-60mph improvement, maybe a titch more, but very little improvement 90mph ->
Whereas P90D (third battery generation) and P100D ludicrous upgrade is a major boost across the entire speed range.
As someone who bought the upgrade on a 2014, there was major improvement in mid range acceleration (~40-70 mph) that I note, making passing performance far better. YMMV.
Anyway, I'm just about to sell mine getting ready for the new one. I hope the ludicrous and the LTE upgrades have some resale value.

I just reserved a CPO 2014 P85D and was wondering if I could still get the ludicrous upgrade. I'm not seeing it in the Tesla store anymore. I was hoping maybe I could get it done before I take delivery of the car.

I searched the forum for the answer but everything I saw was from 2015.

I posted up a thread on this a little while back.

Ludicrous Retrofit No Longer Available???

My avatar will indicate that I've experienced the car both with and without the Ludicrous retrofit.

I don't know where some of this in the above assessment is coming from. I'd go so far as to say that the part in bold is completely false.

In fact, the part in bold above is, well, Ludicrous. The V1 P90DLs are no quicker than the P85DLs.

Performance of P85D with Ludicrous upgrade review

Fast Tesla Model-Ss 1/4 Mile 0-60 Drag Racing - DragTimes.com

So far, the quickest quarter mile time for a P85D with Ludicrous is listed at 11.224. The quickest quarter mile time without it is listed at 11.546.

At 5 grand for the retrofit, vs considerably more than that to go from a P85DL to a P90DL or even a P100DL, the Ludicrous retrofit is a bargain.

Last edited:
As someone who bought the upgrade on a 2014, there was major improvement in mid range acceleration (~40-70 mph) that I note, making passing performance far better. YMMV.
Anyway, I'm just about to sell mine getting ready for the new one. I hope the ludicrous and the LTE upgrades have some resale value.

My experience as well.

All of the information in the following link is significant. However the 60-90 results as well as the 1/8 mile trap speeds, are especially telling in the below link.

And I've also thought about following your lead in selling and getting ready for a new one.

But for the cost and the performance off the P85DL, you'd have to pry it from my cold, dead hands. I changed my mind and will be keeping mine for a long time.

The Ludicrous retrofit is beyond any doubt in this owner's mind, well worth the $5K

Last edited:
Thanks P85DEE. I called my SC and they said they could do it before or after I take delivery. $5000 does sound like a bargain considering I thought I read someone said it was $10K and another said it was $7500. I'm definitely very very tempted.

Thanks P85DEE. I called my SC and they said they could do it before or after I take delivery. $5000 does sound like a bargain considering I thought I read someone said it was $10K and another said it was $7500. I'm definitely very very tempted.
If you sell you'll probably not get your money back, but if @P85DEE and I are any indication you'll absolutely love the upgrade.

If you sell you'll probably not get your money back, but if @P85DEE and I are any indication you'll absolutely love the upgrade.

I agree that if he sells, he definitely won't get his $5K back.

But like you say, the personal enjoyment and utility that he gets out of that $5K is a bargain, considering that it originally was offered as a $7500.00 upgrade before it dropped to $5K, and that it is/or was a $10K upgrade on a P90D and a P100D.

You'll hear a lot about how Ludicrous is great off the line.

But IMO, while it is true that it is great off the line for those Ludicrous launches, that really doesn't do Ludicrous justice.

How many street launches can you do before you get nailed by the cops, even if you have Insane let alone Ludicrous? That $5K amortized over the time that I expect to own the car, again, and I stress that this is for ME and IMO, and YMMV, it is more than worth it.

The maximum benefit that I tend to get from Ludicrous, is the additional passing power at highway speeds.

While Ludicrous is not necessarily a "must have", it is a "nice to have".

Finally, there are only 3 flavors of Ludicrous cars, be they Model S or X, in the current lineup.

P100D, P90D, or P85D .

As I mentioned earlier, I've thought about moving on because my car has the old nose.

But I feel fortunate to own a "Ludicrous" car. Even if it is "only" a P85D with Ludicrous. There aren't that many Ludicrous cars out there, of any variety, and I'd be crazy to give one up unless I were replacing it with another.

And at $140-$150K for the price of admission, at this point, I'll keep the Ludicrous car that I have and add a Model 3 or a Model S 75.

If you actually read the owner accounts on this forum you will come to opposite conclusion -- for most it was well worth it and a bargain at only $5k.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: TravisT
As the owner of the 1/4 times listed by P85DEE I should point out that the two times listed were on two different tracks. My best at Irwindale was 11.326 with L, 0.22 better than without L. As a side note today at Irwindale I did 11.379 with over 35,000 miles and nearing 3 years of ownership. My new friend Mike did 11.2 something on his first time out today in his P90DL (he did not know which version his battery was).

Yes, to me I enjoy Ludicrous as it is fun to beat 650HP Corvettes and 707HP Hellcats.

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: bhzmark and TravisT
My service rep said the P85D Ludicrous upgrade is only available to the initial buyer (I also bought CPO). Please let me know which service center told you the upgrade was available to second owners!