Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the M3P Really 1" Lower than the M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen some speculation on the board based on renders that the Performance trim is lower to the ground than the stock 3.

We have a stock 3, and it works fine in our driveway, but my S (no air suspension) scrapes, and I was considering upgrading to a 3P based on the tax break and unlimited supercharging w/referral, but I'm concerned about a lower bottom.

I should have taken a tap measure to my. test drive, but didn't discover this until after the drive.

Can anyone confirm it's lower, and by how much?

It is indeed slightly lower, but I think it's less than 1inch. The P3D+ version with the performance package that is.

But, your car is also slightly lower when you put people into it. I took my mom, and my nephew out to eat one day and I scrapped where I didn't normally scrape. This was with a Model S with the coil suspension. I didn't get the air suspension because it's more complicated, and didn't really match the kind of connection I want a car to have with the road.

We have a stock 3, and it works fine in our driveway, but my S (no air suspension) scrapes, and I was considering upgrading to a 3P based on the tax break and unlimited supercharging w/referral, but I'm concerned about a lower bottom.
Keep in mind one of the reasons for the scraping is the large overhangs on the front/rear for the S. Our S (with Air) has to be in high position not to scrape on our driveway. Our 3 gets in and out fine, mostly due to the fact that the front doesn't stick so far out from the wheels as on the S. You may find a similar thing with the 3P.

• Informative
Reactions: Ormond
Only the P3D with the "+" or Performance Upgrade Package includes the lowered suspension. The standard P3D- does not.

upload_2018-9-2_14-18-15.png

Reactions: Blue in NC
I've seen some speculation on the board based on renders that the Performance trim is lower to the ground than the stock 3.

I should have taken a tap measure to my. test drive, but didn't discover this until after the drive.

Can anyone confirm it's lower, and by how much?

0.393701 of inch lower

Reactions: RBowen
Only the P3D with the "+" or Performance Upgrade Package includes the lowered suspension. The standard P3D- does not.

View attachment 331313

I'm just saying it's not unheard of for Tesla marketing to publish inaccurate information and I would hate for someone to buy the p3- expecting it to work only to find out it is different than a rwd for whatever reason, especially when one member has reported his p3d- as .4 inches lower than an awd.

Last edited:
I had read it was 1cm....
Really I read it was 10mm or was it 1/100 of a meter:eek:, well really.:p:D:D:D [/sarcasm]. Oh why didn't we make a full switch over to metric in the 70's and 80's. It is so much more straight forward and easy to understand/visualize than things like ⅞" or 1' 3¾ ". Is it 5286' or 1762 yards or 1 mile 6' or 1 mile 2 yards or 1 mile 64" or....? So obtuse and counterproductive.

Back on topic: Wonder how much lower the air suspension will go? IMO 10mm was visually not enough and it still has too much gape. Should have been at least 20mm to 25mm.

• Funny
Reactions: e-FTW