TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Is the M3P Really 1" Lower than the M3?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by gizmoboy, Sep 2, 2018.

1. gizmoboy

gizmoboy Member

I've seen some speculation on the board based on renders that the Performance trim is lower to the ground than the stock 3.

We have a stock 3, and it works fine in our driveway, but my S (no air suspension) scrapes, and I was considering upgrading to a 3P based on the tax break and unlimited supercharging w/referral, but I'm concerned about a lower bottom.

I should have taken a tap measure to my. test drive, but didn't discover this until after the drive.

Can anyone confirm it's lower, and by how much?

2. ba2002

ba2002 Member

I had read it was 1cm/.4 inches lower, but I don't pick up my p3d- for a couple weeks. Hopefully someone will chime in.

3. KenF

KenF Member

Only the performance version (also known as the P3D+) with the $5,000 performance package (20” wheels, better brakes, spoiler, etc.) is 1cm lower.

4. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

It is indeed slightly lower, but I think it's less than 1inch. The P3D+ version with the performance package that is.

But, your car is also slightly lower when you put people into it. I took my mom, and my nephew out to eat one day and I scrapped where I didn't normally scrape. This was with a Model S with the coil suspension. I didn't get the air suspension because it's more complicated, and didn't really match the kind of connection I want a car to have with the road.

5. outie

outie Active Member

Are you able to flatten it? I have a neighbor who did this after getting a M5.

6. ba2002

ba2002 Member

Do you have a P3D- to confirm it's not lower? The only report I've seen on these forums from a P3D- owner said his is slightly lower than a RWD.

7. cschock

cschock Member

Keep in mind one of the reasons for the scraping is the large overhangs on the front/rear for the S. Our S (with Air) has to be in high position not to scrape on our driveway. Our 3 gets in and out fine, mostly due to the fact that the front doesn't stick so far out from the wheels as on the S. You may find a similar thing with the 3P.

• Informative x 1
  8. juanmedina

juanmedina Member

I wonder if the extra weight of the front motor makes it look like is a little bit lowered

• Disagree x 1
  9. Jedi2155

Jedi2155 Model 3 has Arrived.

Only the P3D with the "+" or Performance Upgrade Package includes the lowered suspension. The standard P3D- does not.

upload_2018-9-2_14-18-15.png

• Like x 1
  10. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

0.393701 of inch lower

• Like x 1
  11. bradhs

bradhs Member

I have a P3D+ and can measure from floor to _____ if someone wants. Just make the request. :)

12. ba2002

ba2002 Member

#12 ba2002, Sep 2, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    I'm just saying it's not unheard of for Tesla marketing to publish inaccurate information and I would hate for someone to buy the p3- expecting it to work only to find out it is different than a rwd for whatever reason, especially when one member has reported his p3d- as .4 inches lower than an awd.

13. bradhs

bradhs Member

P3D+
    Front: 28 1/8”
    Rear: 28”

14. jgrgnt

jgrgnt Member

I believe the specs, but in reality the difference is nearly imperceptible. Compared to a couple of RWD 3s that I parked next to, the front of mine looks slightly lower, but the back looks the same.

15. bradhs

bradhs Member

What's odd is my rear is 1/8" lower than the front and that's with no one in the car. I wonder if they accidentally put P3D- in the front and P3D+ in the rear.

16. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

17. bradhs

bradhs Member

Can I get someone else to measure front and back to the top of the fender that has a non performance+?

P3D+
    Front: 28 1/8”
    Rear: 28”

18. thewishmaster

thewishmaster Member

Similar thread here: Suspension Height - P3D vs. P3D+ vs. RWD

OP in that thread seems to have a P3D-. Haven't seen non-P3D measurements though...

19. JulienW

JulienW Member

Really I read it was 10mm or was it 1/100 of a meter:eek:, well really.:p:D:D:D [/sarcasm]. Oh why didn't we make a full switch over to metric in the 70's and 80's. It is so much more straight forward and easy to understand/visualize than things like ⅞" or 1' 3¾ ". Is it 5286' or 1762 yards or 1 mile 6' or 1 mile 2 yards or 1 mile 64" or....? So obtuse and counterproductive.

Back on topic: Wonder how much lower the air suspension will go? IMO 10mm was visually not enough and it still has too much gape. Should have been at least 20mm to 25mm.

• Funny x 1
  20. SJC3

SJC3 Member

It looks no where as low as the website. That is unfortunately common with most manufactures websites. the gap looks bigger due to the more narrow sidewalls. Kinda odd.