TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Is the mandatory front centre console removable?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by badboy1980, Jul 26, 2016.

1. badboy1980

badboy1980 Member

Hi,

Can anyone advise if the now mandatory front console can be removed? I know it's not an option to remove it during ordering, but can you once you receive the vehicle?

2. jelloslug

jelloslug Member

Not really. It's not an insert like the old drop in console but rather a totally new design that completely replaces the old style unit. If you were to find an old style one you could probably swap it in.

3. ddimit

ddimit Member

I have an Old style with Obeche matte Bowling alley style console listed in the parts for sale category

4. jelloslug

jelloslug Member

The leather arm rest and the wood insert can be swapped from a new console to an old console also.

5. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

Yes, but you'll need to find someone with the original console to trade with. I have a complete set of components of you are interested.

6. theboybg

theboybg Member

Thanks supratachophobia - do you know what the swap out work is like? Will Tesla do this?

7. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

I bet if you bought some guys lunch they would do it. The work involved is about 3hrs going slowly. I think a person with moderate tinkering knowledge could figure it out pretty easily.

8. ddimit

ddimit Member

You would have to call to see if they would be willing to do this. If your good with tools it doesn't look that hard. I too have the old console parts available as well.

I think Tesla's advertised shop Labor rate is 175.00 per hour.