Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Matte Black seatback change a reality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I am up here in Sparks and I hear through the giga-grapevine when I got back yesterday that the latest produced S & X come with matte black seatbacks instead of the glossy ones. Not sure if this is fact. I hope so. I'm sure you glossy people love those high gloss seatbacks, and frankly speaking I do too, but for looks only. For us they aren't practical for people in the back seats (mainly kids) whom tend to scuff up those nice seatback finishes. I'd prefer to have a matte black seat back.

Is this happening?

My MX is scheduled for production on 4/24, and I was told that my car will come with glossy seat backs since my car was before the "cut off". Not sure how the "cut off" was determined, perhaps because the site still displayed glossy seats when I placed my order in March.

However, I was also told that on a case-by-case basis, the service center will "retrofit" seat backs with the matte seats. Since we have little kids, I'd prefer the matte seat backs. So...debating whether we should complain and ask for the matte seat backs before accepting delivery.

My MX is scheduled for production on 4/24, and I was told that my car will come with glossy seat backs since my car was before the "cut off". Not sure how the "cut off" was determined, perhaps because the site still displayed glossy seats when I placed my order in March.

However, I was also told that on a case-by-case basis, the service center will "retrofit" seat backs with the matte seats. Since we have little kids, I'd prefer the matte seat backs. So...debating whether we should complain and ask for the matte seat backs before accepting delivery.

This story conflicts with the information in the other thread that all car's built after 4/1 are now matte. Even showed pictures of a delivered vehicle with matte...doubt that person ordered later than you. Would also theoretically seem reasonable that they have a hard cut off.

I have a hard time believing that anyone really prefers those ridiculous glossy seatbacks to the ones in the Model S.

I hated them from the moment I saw it, and rushed to have it covered in Xpel Stealth so fast, I decided to do the whole car that way... AWESOME!!!

Even in matte black that is virtually scratchproof, I still cringe when I see the shiny edges.

There is intelligence in the design department at Tesla...

• Disagree
Reactions: Doctt
This story conflicts with the information in the other thread that all car's built after 4/1 are now matte. Even showed pictures of a delivered vehicle with matte...doubt that person ordered later than you. Would also theoretically seem reasonable that they have a hard cut off.
The word "story" implies that I made this up. This is what I was told by my OA. I certainly hope he was wrong. Perhaps he was confused and thought I wanted the shiny seats over the matte seats.

My sales guy said the new seats would start with orders that were confirmed after 4/1, and mine was confirmed on 4/6. I never asked about a date starting in relations to production date.

• Love
Reactions: Shopi01
My sales guy said the new seats would start with orders that were confirmed after 4/1, and mine was confirmed on 4/6. I never asked about a date starting in relations to production date.
Your guy is wrong.
My 100D was confirmed on 3/23. I checked with my DS if I will be getting glossy or matte seatbacks. His answer was that all MX's that enter production as of 4/1 are made with matte seatbacks.

The word "story" implies that I made this up. This is what I was told by my OA. I certainly hope he was wrong. Perhaps he was confused and thought I wanted the shiny seats over the matte seats.

Didn't mean for you to imply that. By story I meant your employee's story. After 3 years in the Tesla family I've heard A LOT of different stories from different people. A few are correct, most are wrong!

Reactions: FlyF4
I have a hard time believing that anyone really prefers those ridiculous glossy seatbacks to the ones in the Model S.

Hmmm, I don't know what is so hard to believe. When there are tens of thousands of people buying these cars, not everyone is going to want the same thing. Personally, I want the matte black seats, but I understand perhaps an equal or greater number of people can like the glossy ones.

Reactions: X Fan

I hated them from the moment I saw it, and rushed to have it covered in Xpel Stealth so fast, I decided to do the whole car that way... AWESOME!!!

Even in matte black that is virtually scratchproof, I still cringe when I see the shiny edges.

There is intelligence in the design department at Tesla...

I prefer glossy. What's wrong with that? I would never argue Matte is not a good choice. All personal perference

Reactions: FlyF4