Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Model 3 a "flashy" car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Depends a bit on config. A P3D in red or blue may be flashier to some than a 3 with aero wheels in MSM gray.

My prior S in deep blue metallic was a bit flashy for my taste. Current 3D in msm with Aeros (sans hubcaps) blends in more.

I live in rural NC. I'm not exaggerating when I say that where I drive, very few people know what it is. I stopped for air yesterday -first time at any type of garage ( tire warning on drive home from work- sudden temp change!) anyway this was the conversation as I stood waiting for air--

Customer patronizing the garage:
"Ooooohweeee, What is that?"
Me: " it's an electric car"
Man: " daaaaaang she sure is perdy"
Me: "thank you" ( I'm embarrassed because it's raining and it's all dirty and muddy!)
Man: "who makes it?"
Me: "Tesla"
Man: "Huuuuh?"
Me: "A companyyyy called Tesssslaaaaa".. I say it slower
Man: "Yeah but WHOOooooo makes it?.. Ford, Toyota, Dodge...?" He says it slower
Me: "Tesla... it's a NEW car company "
He looks completely perplexed. Then says, " yer gonna git pulled over jus by the looks of 'er,"

I smiled and chuckled inside.
So no, he didn't use the word 'Flashy' but it seems he was intrigued by the looks.

(Pearl white)

I wouldn’t say it’s flashy but it is a classy looking car IMHO. When Tesla made the S, X and 3 they made sure they didn’t look like electric weirdmobiles. I think it’s great and Tesla has shown everyone that the electric car fits the traditional car image.

Reactions: Dangerous Fish
For non-Tesla owners - even in the Bay Area - Teslas are considered "flashy" - it is also difficult to tell the model 3 from model S for most people, until you get in. The white interior is "flashy" - black maybe less so- but with the unique dashboard - it is certainly different from your average econobox.

I think most people who buy model 3's are not buying them however because they are "flashy" .. high-performance, yes, low cost of maintenance and running - yes, green , yes, carpool sticker, yes, looks good yes, new tech , yes, American made, yes ...and probably a few other reasons ...

For non-Tesla owners - even in the Bay Area - Teslas are considered "flashy" - it is also difficult to tell the model 3 from model S for most people, until you get in. The white interior is "flashy" - black maybe less so- but with the unique dashboard - it is certainly different from your average econobox.

I think most people who buy model 3's are not buying them however because they are "flashy" .. high-performance, yes, low cost of maintenance and running - yes, green , yes, carpool sticker, yes, looks good yes, new tech , yes, American made, yes ...and probably a few other reasons ...

My wife ordered our first Model 3 for the reasons you mentioned. Shortly thereafter I ordered one for me because it was the best driving car I've ever experienced. And it made me smile. Both our cars look the same right down to the Aero wheels. They look classy but not flashy.

I live in rural NC. I'm not exaggerating when I say that where I drive, very few people know what it is. I stopped for air yesterday -first time at any type of garage ( tire warning on drive home from work- sudden temp change!) anyway this was the conversation as I stood waiting for air--

Customer patronizing the garage:
"Ooooohweeee, What is that?"
Me: " it's an electric car"
Man: " daaaaaang she sure is perdy"
Me: "thank you" ( I'm embarrassed because it's raining and it's all dirty and muddy!)
Man: "who makes it?"
Me: "Tesla"
Man: "Huuuuh?"
Me: "A companyyyy called Tesssslaaaaa".. I say it slower
Man: "Yeah but WHOOooooo makes it?.. Ford, Toyota, Dodge...?" He says it slower
Me: "Tesla... it's a NEW car company "
He looks completely perplexed. Then says, " yer gonna git pulled over jus by the looks of 'er,"

I smiled and chuckled inside.
So no, he didn't use the word 'Flashy' but it seems he was intrigued by the looks.

(Pearl white)
Hey Folks,
this is my first post on the Tesla site.
.I'm a newbie!! and my new Model 3 ( a Christmas present surprise..Merry Christmas TO ME!) is flashy classy a head turner, and there will be someone rolling up on me.... looking for a quick challenge...Pearl White is the best!
..I named her Tessie....I never leave the house half dressed for the quick stop at 7-11 anymore cuz there are "eyes" looking at me or sizing up the whole package. (Can't wait to get my windows tinted.)....
I have to be a quick learner now for I knew nothing or had no idea how to start or stop ,drive..etc..a Tesla..pretty much Delivery threw me the keys..ops I meant the "card" and closed up early on Saturday night.. so embarrassed but a must..I called the delivery person ( he gave me his cell#), 2 hours later and asked "How do you turn it off", yep, I know what ya thinking!! But ya outta see me now... Looking to pimp it too...just Abit...
Any ideas or best topic forum for this discussion?? Thank you for listening because I'm just happy to be here!!!
"Let da good times Roll!"

• Funny
Reactions: GregRF
It's all relative to the person saying it. The Model 3 is probably still considered a bit flashy and distinctive here in Cleveland because its still relatively rare. Tesla is still viewed as an expensive luxury brand here and most people are just generally unaware of how the Model 3 is any different then the S and X. I've had countless people strike up conversations and are all very surprised to learn that it didn't cost $100k.

In CA? Probably not so much.
Yeah, the 3 doesn't seem to be very popular around here. In the parking garage here at work the Model S outnumbers the Model 3 five to one - and take that quite literally, five to one. I have only seen a handful of 3s driving around, but numerous Ss.

Its the brand (tesla) not as much the car.

As someone else in this thread said, they had a porsche that was "cheap" and "somewhat slow".. but all anyone saw of it was the badge, with all that it stands for.

Same thing with Tesla. I told this story on this site before, but as it says under my name I have been driving BMWs almost exclusively for about 12-13 years. All Leased cars, so every 3 years I show up to work in a new BMW (335, 435, wifes 5 series, X5, etc).

For the past 3 years I drove an estoril blue 435 grand coupe (4 door, hatchback style, very sporty looking car). I returned the lease in december and bought the model 3 (in blue, of course.. used to driving blue cars now). When I was leaving shortly after getting the car, I was passing through our guard gate, and one of our directors was coming in the other side in her Mercedes E class. She sees me and she says "oooohhhhh a Teessssslaaaaa!!!!!" Nice Tesssslaaaaa!"

She saw me come and go in my BMWs in the past, and has never said anything. I think this comes from the fact that, when tesla was first getting started and building buzz (before Model 3), many people probably googled them and looked up the car. They saw the Model S, with its 80k+ pricing, and the Model X with its 100K plus pricing, then shook their head, and clicked off of it thinking to themselves "no way".

So, for many people, "Tesla" is still a brand that makes VERY expensive cars, as previously they didnt have a car that was "reasonable" priced. I dont consider an 80k car reasonably priced for the average person.

If you saw someone driving a Maserati, most people would think "omg a maserati!" same with porsche... regardless of how much it costs, people recognize the brand as "expensive".. which is something most brands aspire to.

So many people have BMWs, Mercedes, Audi's, that, while they are still luxury brands to most people, they are not rare in any way, so its "oh a nice bmw". Tesla's are still rare in many places. There are only 5-6 where I work, and there are more BMWs / Mercs etc. If tesla accomplishes its goals, it will be less rare, and thus, less "flashy".

My wife ordered our first Model 3 for the reasons you mentioned. Shortly thereafter I ordered one for me because it was the best driving car I've ever experienced. And it made me smile. Both our cars look the same right down to the Aero wheels. They look classy but not flashy.
Ah, that's so cute! Do your license plates say, "HISTSLA" and "HERTSLA"? :D

• Love
Reactions: Runnergirl
Yeah, the 3 doesn't seem to be very popular around here. In the parking garage here at work the Model S outnumbers the Model 3 five to one - and take that quite literally, five to one. I have only seen a handful of 3s driving around, but numerous Ss.

There are a few that I see almost every day driving between the west side and medina and there is another guy at my office with one, but still few and far between. I did see 4 in one day on 71 once! I was pumped.

I think Model 3 strikes a very nice balance between flashy and ordinary. It's a damn sexy car with very beautiful curves. But it's no Model X with falcon wings or expensive euro gargoyle cars. And it's definitely not ordinary like the thousands of Prius and Camry's out there.

I mean Toyota can come out with a matching spec Prius, with all the tech, power, and range of the Model 3, people still wouldn't consider the Prius flashy or sexy. Same with BMW i3, BMW should be "flashy". But every time I drive by an i3, I smile and am soooo glad I don't drive something that hideous.

The Model 3 isn't overly flashy, but it's also not ordinary and boring. It has to do with the brand, the styling, and the tech inside. To some people, the ability to self drive is flashy. I will say that the Model S and X are the very definition of flashy. I'm driving a Model S loaner right now, and the amount of stares I get makes me uncomfortable. People that talk trash on Model S especially on the internet forums probably never actually stood next to one or driven one. To me at least, the Model S is one of the best looking sedans out there. Beautiful, sporty, and yet very elegant.

I think this is slightly flashier. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

hot-dog-car.jpg