Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Model 3 build quality getting better?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First year of a brand new model is the worst time to buy it from a fit/finish/reliability standpoint.

ALWAYS.

Generally speaking, build quality always gets better on a particular model as the assembly team and engineers get more and more experience with doing the assembly.

Some manufacturers (Tesla, BMW, Toyota) do more iterative work in the middle of model production to address issues being seen at service but to some extent all makes do this.

How high is your vin ?
Hey glad to see you made it past the 666 post...something with a rejected red car on another thread.

Anyway vin 87xx middle-ish range.

I recall the reviewers of the media were getting crazy build issues and why I responded to the post above with the wheels comment.

I have a gap and a raised area in the trunk location of the vehicle. It was like a birth mark with character. Was not a big deal for me. I should probably have it fix since the trunk is not quite aligned and wondering about longevity of usage. But otherswise everything has held up. No problems.

I have a friend here locally that got a later build in the higher 9 range.
she no idea or even heard of build quality problems of the model 3 and hers was excellent.

Last edited:
Mine was 47xx built in Jan and after a few tweaks of fit and finish it has given me 3000 trouble-free miles. For a new model I am very satisfied and definitely glad I've had it for 3+ months. And remember the cars trickled out for the first six months so any major issues should have appeared by now -- and haven't. (Even the dumb decision to replace the key fob seems to have been solved by firmware.)

To answer the op's original question - I think yes. Took delivery 4/13 and was concerned. I'm not an auto tech or anything, but I took it through the checklist and didn't find any problems. So, while I completely believe there have been problems, my experience was fine.

Wow I googled whompy wheels, I had no idea that was happening to other Teslas. Gods honest truth.
Ouch sorry for those people. :(

While there have been incidents on suspensions/axles breaking and wheels coming off in accidents, it is really no different than any other manufacturer. There was (is) a Tesla Troll that had been spreading the rumors and has tried to raise money through GoFund me campaigns (guessing just to make a quick buck).

Elon Musk on Twitter

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
While there have been incidents on suspensions/axles breaking and wheels coming off in accidents, it is really no different than any other manufacturer. There was (is) a Tesla Troll that had been spreading the rumors and has tried to raise money through GoFund me campaigns (guessing just to make a quick buck).

Elon Musk on Twitter
Wow the twitter comments are crazy in itself. A sensitive subject . Did not mean to rattle the cage. Thanks for the heads up on this subject.

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler