TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Is the Model 3 build quality getting better?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by juanmedina, May 9, 2018.

1. juanmedina

juanmedina Member

I haven't seen many post in a while about people complaining about build issues. I have seen the same trend on the Facebook groups.

Is the model 3 build quality on newer cars that much better?

I can't wait to get mine.

• Like x 1
  2. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Give me some sugar baby

First year of a brand new model is the worst time to buy it from a fit/finish/reliability standpoint.

ALWAYS.

Generally speaking, build quality always gets better on a particular model as the assembly team and engineers get more and more experience with doing the assembly.

Some manufacturers (Tesla, BMW, Toyota) do more iterative work in the middle of model production to address issues being seen at service but to some extent all makes do this.

3. cellogig

cellogig Model X..Model 3

All the wheels are still on my car.

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 1
  4. Thomas Edison

Thomas Edison Active Member

How high is your vin ?

• Funny x 1
  5. mtndrew1

mtndrew1 Member

Mine is beautifully assembled. April build, 126XX VIN.

• Like x 1
  6. xav-

xav- Active Member

Only issue on mine is the plastic under the seat that pops out. Nothing major. Much better than my 2013 Scion FRS (one of the first cars) that had several rattles. 109XX

• Like x 1
  7. cellogig

#7 cellogig, May 9, 2018
    Last edited: May 9, 2018
    Hey glad to see you made it past the 666 post...something with a rejected red car on another thread.

Anyway vin 87xx middle-ish range.

I recall the reviewers of the media were getting crazy build issues and why I responded to the post above with the wheels comment.

I have a gap and a raised area in the trunk location of the vehicle. It was like a birth mark with character. Was not a big deal for me. I should probably have it fix since the trunk is not quite aligned and wondering about longevity of usage. But otherswise everything has held up. No problems.

I have a friend here locally that got a later build in the higher 9 range.
    she no idea or even heard of build quality problems of the model 3 and hers was excellent.

8. TT97

TT97 Active Member

You must be one of the lucky ones, I heard most Teslas have "whompy wheels." :)

• Funny x 2
  9. RangerRick

RangerRick Member

Yeah, my car had basically no issues. 4/18 build, 130xx VIN. Still having a freakin' blast driving it!

10. azred

azred Active Member

Mine was 47xx built in Jan and after a few tweaks of fit and finish it has given me 3000 trouble-free miles. For a new model I am very satisfied and definitely glad I've had it for 3+ months. And remember the cars trickled out for the first six months so any major issues should have appeared by now -- and haven't. (Even the dumb decision to replace the key fob seems to have been solved by firmware.)

11. Motor Mouth

Motor Mouth Member

To answer the op's original question - I think yes. Took delivery 4/13 and was concerned. I'm not an auto tech or anything, but I took it through the checklist and didn't find any problems. So, while I completely believe there have been problems, my experience was fine.

12. cellogig

Wow I googled whompy wheels, I had no idea that was happening to other Teslas. Gods honest truth.
    Ouch sorry for those people. :(

• Funny x 1
  13. MVuu

MVuu Member

All was good until rear section pano roof on passenger side developed stress cracks. Bringing it back to SC next week. Other than that, car has been amazing. Worth the wait and minor headaches.

14. TT97

TT97 Active Member

While there have been incidents on suspensions/axles breaking and wheels coming off in accidents, it is really no different than any other manufacturer. There was (is) a Tesla Troll that had been spreading the rumors and has tried to raise money through GoFund me campaigns (guessing just to make a quick buck).

Elon Musk on Twitter

• Helpful x 1
  15. cellogig

Wow the twitter comments are crazy in itself. A sensitive subject . Did not mean to rattle the cage. Thanks for the heads up on this subject.

• Funny x 1
  16. TT97

TT97 Active Member

I should have been more aware that not everyone knows the back story and doing just a search for Whompy Wheels will freak out most people.

• Informative x 1
  17. cellogig

I know it was all meant to be harmless fun.

18. Tezlanian

Tezlanian Member

Other than superficial fit and finish issues like slightly bulgy headlights? Nothing. Everything functions perfectly.

19. Brentt

Brentt Member

I have 1000 miles on 17xxx and it’s flawless. I can’t find anything wrong with it. In fact it is getting better!

• Like x 1
  20. zosoisnotaword

It should also be noted that whompy wheel Keef is also a firm believer that the earth is flat. Just some perspective.

• Funny x 1