Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Model 3 going to be fully casted in the future?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It appears that Tesla is looking towards full body casting.

hmmmm….

The only thing that comes to mind when full body casting a car in one gigantic press is repairs.

I wonder how many cars are going to be totaled if a part of the casting is damaged. They are looking into casting down to the support of the springs for the suspension.

Of course Tesla could probably cut out a tremendous amount of time by eliminating riveting and welding, but geez....I wonder if it would be possible to repair damage to a large single piece casting.

Tesla Model Y teardown reveals beautiful mega casting manufacturing breakthrough - Electrek

It appears that Tesla is looking towards full body casting.

Of course Tesla could probably cut out a tremendous amount of time by eliminating riveting and welding, but geez....I wonder if it would be possible to repair damage to a large single piece casting.

I presume you meant full frame, or full skateboard casting. There is no way that a car body could ever be cast.

As to repairs, I wonder if even broken MS or M3 skateboard parts can be repaired? I would guess that any impact severe enough to break part of the skateboard would do so much body damage that the car would be totaled anyway.

I presume you meant full frame, or full skateboard casting. There is no way that a car body could ever be cast.

As to repairs, I wonder if even broken MS or M3 skateboard parts can be repaired? I would guess that any impact severe enough to break part of the skateboard would do so much body damage that the car would be totaled anyway.

I'm not so sure......

Listen to Elon 2 weeks ago.

Jump to 23:00 to 27:00 <----- that's the big statememt about single body casting by Elon

Also....10:00 to 14:00

Never say Never when it comes to Tesla.

Last edited:
My last car was an Alfa Romeo Guilia with a cast aluminum cradle that supported the engine and front suspension. I hit a hunk of metal in laying in the road and cracked the cradle. Replacement cost with labor was over $18k for that part alone and the car was totaled.

My perception is that Tesla's get "Totaled" a lot more than other car already.
I wonder if having a "throw-away" car is not a concern for Tesla's vision, since they will insure the cars and believe FSD will reduce accidents to negligible numbers.
In the future Robotaxi's will transport us without incident, while we play video games on the UI ;)