Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the model 3 mobile connector water proof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good to know. My MC is protected in the garage, but car is parked in the driveway. I was a little worried about overnight charging in the rain this coming winter.
Unfortunately, I think you aren't safe :{. I had my MC plugged inside my garage, but had to leave my car parked in the driveway. An unexpected rain storm came in and now the MC won't work. When I plug it into the car, it starts to charge, but then after a couple minutes, it throws an error that there is an issue with the MC. I've tried it several times, left the unit to dry out (assuming water got into it) for several weeks, then tried again. Still get the error. I have a different MC that I leave in the trunk of my car and it charges fine, so it isn't the car or the out. Very sad to have the MC go bad with just one rain storm on it.

Got an unexpected rain storm last night with the car parked in the driveway. Same thing happened - charging stopped due to adapter error. The outlet is inside the garage, dry. Only the end that plugs into the car is exposed to the rain. Seems to happen every time it rains and the car is outside charging. Very frustrating! Really needed the full charge by morning.

Makes no sense for it not to be rain-proof.
Same thing happened to me!! Did you ever get your MC to be able to work again? Mine starts then stops after a couple minutes.

It is interesting to point out that the mobile connector is sealed shut. If you want to open it and look inside you can't just unscrew it, you need to use a circular saw and make some deep cuts.

I agree that it should not be considered waterproof, and have had issues not only with "rain" but also with humidity and rapid temperature changes (30F -> 70F -> 30F within a few days). I kept it out of the rain, but still outdoors and it had issues.

I have a theory that it has significant problems with internal condensation, and that it is intended to be airtight and water tight. Whatever moisture is trapped in there at the factory or which leaks in can never leave.

It is interesting to point out that the mobile connector is sealed shut. If you want to open it and look inside you can't just unscrew it, you need to use a circular saw and make some deep cuts.

I agree that it should not be considered waterproof, and have had issues not only with "rain" but also with humidity and rapid temperature changes (30F -> 70F -> 30F within a few days). I kept it out of the rain, but still outdoors and it had issues.

I have a theory that it has significant problems with internal condensation, and that it is intended to be airtight and water tight. Whatever moisture is trapped in there at the factory or which leaks in can never leave.
Interesting deduction. That would mean you could get a good one or a bad one based on initial humidity before sealing. I for one have had same UMC that came with my 2012 S for 8 years now, and charged with it every day, about 15% of my charges have been outside in all types of weather. Rain, snow... must’ve gotten a good one! Of course it is sure to fail after posting this!