Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Model 3 moving the climate needle? (Not really, no.)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Zero to 60 mph times for the BEVs on the market recently or on the immediate horizon plus Model 3:

<6 Tesla Model 3
-------
6.5 BMW i3
6.8 MB B250e (Tesla)
<7 GM Bolt EV
-------
7.9 GM Spark EV
8.7 Fiat 500e
9.8 Smart EV
10.0 VW e-Golf
10.1 Ford Focus EV
10.2 Nissan LEAF
10+ Hyundai Ioniq
11.2 Kia Soul EV

The B250e is a conversion car done by Tesla with Model S powertrain components.

Most likely the Bolt EV will end up at 6.5 or higher so it is probably either 2nd or 3rd.

I know their is a lot of non-Tesla EV love around here, but these numbers are my point. No-one who considers themselves a car enthusiast would buy a car with those numbers for the current non-Tesla EVs. In addition, most handle poorly as the addition of the battery was a retrofit to an existing chassis. Going back to the point of the thread, the fact that people who get excited about driving fast and going into corners quicker than they should are now buying EV's thanks to Tesla.

Of course I'm talking US only here.......

Tesla + other BEVs + includes fuel economy standards will go a long way in helping things out in the short term.

Remember, gas is cheap right now in part because of what is happening today, and that is before Tesla decreases gas consumption by 3-5% (based on current 3 reservation numbers. Change is already happening, not as fast as many would like but change nonetheless.

What is of particular interest to me (for curiosities sake) is how cheap will gas stay given that the amount of it needed is likely to decline. In 2014 a study (https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/de...g_us_petroleum_consumption_surprise_final.pdf) revealed that gas consumption is likely to continue to decline in the US, although that was before prices dropped to current levels and everyone started buying trucks and SUVs again.

If gas stays cheap (well, cheap relative to a few years ago) an unfortunate number of people will continue to buy large ICE vehicles, and those vehicles will be on the road for 6-8 years at minimum. Plus some vehicles can't be replaced with BEVs yet (motorcycles (getting close though), boats, SUVs/trucks to pull those boats, semi trucks, etc), so hopefully what is happening now is enough so that technology can take care of the rest.

I really need to dig into gas consumption stats in the US; I'm curious as to where it goes by vehicle type.