Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the model 3 too common now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Kind of a dumb question but anyway. The model 3 is absolutely everywhere here in Los Angeles. The garage at work is stuffed full of them. I still give a cheery wave, let them into traffic in front of me etc. but I have to admit I feel a little less "special". My cars have always been a bit quirky so never had a problem finding them in a parking lot. The other day I tried to get into my car and after fiddling with the door handle wondering why it didn't open (no doubt activating sentry mode) I realised it wasn't my car..
I wonder also if the simple design, limited colour palette and only a single model available (no new exterior updates to the body, no special editions etc) kind of highlights the cars more than say a Prius. It really is phenomenal how many are on the road right now. There have been threads about the statement of Tesla saying this is the best selling car by revenue. Many people said this was nonsense but it's really no mean feat to get so many high value cars on the road in such short time. It's easier to sell millions of cheaper/mid range cars/trucks than high value cars.
It's an interesting situation because you have luxury car owners (BMW/Porsche/Mercedes) buying the car, but then you have less affluent people trading up from a Prius etc. often pushing their budgets to the limit. I wonder how the two different groups of owners perceive the car. For those coming from less fancy cars I imagine it must seem almost unimaginably luxurious, for those coming from high ends cars, maybe the interior seems cheap, the doors flimsy etc.
Buy a Roadster if you want a truly rare Tesla. Only 2400 made and they are very distinctive.

C76F19E3-4D45-451D-9E23-7C8C76FFE09A.jpeg Who knows for the right price I might even be ready to part with it

Living on an island, it's hard to miss any Tesla. I have an unofficial estimate of 3's among the islands. It appears to be well over 1.5K with the predominance on Oahu (Makes sense as we are the most densley populated of all islands). I probably see 3-4 3's daily on my commute. It also appears there are more and more, everyday. I was at the Honolulu SC talking with a rep over a month ago and he told me they are delivering a LOT of 3's.

Yesterday I saw at least a dozen. Today I had seen about 5 or more when I was thinking I hadn't seen a Multi Coat Red. Then right before I got home a "twin" with 19" (not sure if it was AWD) passed me in the other direction. That was one thing about my ELR. It was RARE that I saw another on the road though it did happen. Oddly a couple of days after I got it this happened at a park I was running at. Mine is (or was) the Crystal Red Tentcoat.

IMG_3029.jpg

I sometimes mistaken other white Tesla Model 3 w/ aerowheels for my car. Since I only have the app, I have to walk up to the car and open the car handle, then wonder why my app doesn't work, then realize this is not my Model 3.
LOL! Yeah, I've done that twice now. I'm standing there saying, "Why isn't this unlocking???" Then, I get my key card out and do a tap dance on the pillar....nothing. Then I look in and see "stuff" in the car and realize "oops!".

Priced from 35k to 68k and built in thousands every month, it’s only a matter of time before they become as ubiquitous as similarly priced cars. In the Bay Area they’re already everywhere. Don’t think Model 3 owners around here think their cars are unique. If one really wants a unique Tesla, the Roadster is the answer.

Reactions: TintWorldSantaClara
IDGAF, I don't want to stand out in a crowd. Standing out just makes you a target for genetic throwback dumbasses who want to screw with someone's car.

I do wish there were more color choices but only because I don't like the current colors, rather than some issue with other people having the same thing as me.

Reactions: turok3000
In the commercial/industrial zone where I work there are at least 3-4 others I see coming and going on a regular basis. The other day I was leaving work and saw a red one in front of me. At the the next intersection with a red light there was a blue one waiting at the light in the right lane.. I had to turn left and went to the left turning lane.

Long story short we were lined up White, Red and Blue at the intersection, first ones in line waiting for the red light. I can't think of any other car make/model where this has happened to me, but to be honest I probably was not paying as much attention as I do with Model 3.

IDGAF, I don't want to stand out in a crowd. Standing out just makes you a target for genetic throwback dumbasses who want to screw with someone's car.

I do wish there were more color choices but only because I don't like the current colors, rather than some issue with other people having the same thing as me.
Main reason I didn't go with the red. Less attention (MSM is very unassuming) especially from HPD/5-O.

I've always tried to wave to Model S and X owners I pass, but I've never received even a glance in return... So it's possible there is some sort of socio-economic divide in enthusiasm.

I think those guys have likely had their cars for a much longer time so the enthusiasm has worn off while majority of Model 3 owners have gotten their car in the past 6-9 months.

Around here, I see Teslas every day. At least a Model 3 on the road every other day. My office has 2-3 S, an X, and about 3-4 Model 3s.

Kind of a dumb question but anyway. The model 3 is absolutely everywhere here in Los Angeles. The garage at work is stuffed full of them. I still give a cheery wave, let them into traffic in front of me etc. but I have to admit I feel a little less "special". My cars have always been a bit quirky so never had a problem finding them in a parking lot. The other day I tried to get into my car and after fiddling with the door handle wondering why it didn't open (no doubt activating sentry mode) I realised it wasn't my car..
I wonder also if the simple design, limited colour palette and only a single model available (no new exterior updates to the body, no special editions etc) kind of highlights the cars more than say a Prius. It really is phenomenal how many are on the road right now. There have been threads about the statement of Tesla saying this is the best selling car by revenue. Many people said this was nonsense but it's really no mean feat to get so many high value cars on the road in such short time. It's easier to sell millions of cheaper/mid range cars/trucks than high value cars.
It's an interesting situation because you have luxury car owners (BMW/Porsche/Mercedes) buying the car, but then you have less affluent people trading up from a Prius etc. often pushing their budgets to the limit. I wonder how the two different groups of owners perceive the car. For those coming from less fancy cars I imagine it must seem almost unimaginably luxurious, for those coming from high ends cars, maybe the interior seems cheap, the doors flimsy etc.

Get it wrapped.

Take a road trip up to Sequoia... after you've left the 5 towards Visalia you'll see them disappear, and once you're in Sequoia you'll miss seeing them to where you'll find yourself frantically waving at the first Tesla you encounter. I saw a grand total of one other Tesla there last month.

I would love to do chrome delete, wrapping, the works.. but I am one of those that stretched their budget to the limit (I put my deposit down on the first day of pre order and the email a few years later to pick up my car coincided with me losing my job). Actually I am more thrilled just to see and be a part of something that clearly is a revolution, a seismic change in the way we move around. It is very much a visible and very real thing. It may only be truly visible in places like LA but it has started.. and it won't be stopping!

• Informative
Reactions: SO16
If feeling “special” is what you really want out of your car then why would you purchase a car that was built and advertises to the an affordable EV for everyone? Buy a Bentley then you can feel “special” or something.

Reactions: alexGS
Take a road trip up to Sequoia... after you've left the 5 towards Visalia you'll see them disappear, and once you're in Sequoia you'll miss seeing them to where you'll find yourself frantically waving at the first Tesla you encounter. I saw a grand total of one other Tesla there last month.

How did it handle Sequoia? Did you camp or stay at a lodge? Did you charge in Three Rivers?