Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Model 3 your most expensive car?

Model 3 the most expensive car you will buy?

• Yes

Votes: 279 65.5%
  • Yes, but barely

Votes: 21 4.9%
  • No, but barely

Votes: 12 2.8%
  • No

Votes: 114 26.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had no interest in spending lots on other cars before.

Given other priorities, couldn't quite 'justify' a 40kWh S back in the day, (not interested without supercharging) and the 60kWh was more than I was prepared to spend. I decided then i was waiting for M3. Which explains why I was waiting in line before the store opened.

Interesting that almost loaded 3 LR RWD is likely more (but I don't really want to know so I am not looking it up. ;-)

Edit: and I of course I am adding EAP...

It'll be the most I've paid, but not the most it cost new. My current car stickered at $75k but I didn't buy it new. I don't expect Model 3 to stay in the "most expensive I've bought" position for more than a few years, though, since I'm guessing in 3-4 years I'll sell it and buy a newer version or maybe at that point they'll have done a major revision and I'll like the S enough to buy one (I like the S as it is right now, and tried to convince myself to buy one while getting sick of the wait for the 3, but I just don't think it's worth $85k in its current form).

Last edited:
The S was actually the most expensive car I've owned, by a country mile (35k -> 75k). And I have absolutely no regrets.
If you see a car as more than just a means of transportation and care about other aspects (environmental impact, safety, living in the future, etc.) then a Tesla is a “no-brainer”.
I stretched to get a lease on a base Model S in 2015, and will now get a maxed out 3 for a little less money.

The 3 is the car I've wanted since Tesla came about. I've been following them since the very beginning, dreaming of getting their “affordable car”. This will happen next year, and this time, I'm getting the top end (awd, hopefully with a 'P').

Mine is only going to be my most expensive due to the CDN exchange rate. Model 3 Dual LR with PUP, AP, 19” wheels and paint will be low $60’s USD with delivery. Low $80’s CDN up here. That’s at existing exchange rates. I estimated $4k for dual.

• Disagree
Reactions: TaoJones
A poll that excludes current Tesla owners would be interesting
Important! We can only assume none of us bought our Roadster s or X for less than Model 3, unless we bought, say, salvage title used old S's.

OTOH, Model 3 will have multi-modal income too. Lots of very wealthy and lots of poor people will buy. Lots of oldster and people starting out in life will buy.
Model 3 will look rather like BMW 3-Series in that respect, but more so.

Among those with high income the smaller size will be a big factor, not so much price.

Yes, at ~$57.5k pre-tax for LR/PUP/Silver/Upwheels/EAP.
- 2012 LEAF early adopter in the East...$35k (before $12.5k tax credits)...TCO $0.101 per mile thus far, despite the high purchase cost
- 2012 RX450h (used) $30k...TCO $0.37/mi
- 2000 Expedition Eddie Bauer $30k...TCO $0.22/mi
- 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (used) $28.5k...TCO too soon to tell...just bought it