Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Model S made for Canadian winters?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update...my wife drove home along the lakeshore yesterday...when she left work, only the passenger side mirror would deploy from it's parked position (so she wanted to stay off the QEW)

When she arrived home, I moved the Roadster out of the garage, parked the S inside and charged for an hour at 80 amps...the charging heated the garage up enough to free up the mirror...I took the good suggestion by a previous poster of going into the settings, and toggling off the automatic folding mirror feature (for the season).

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I would try pre-heating for a longer time...last year, on the bitterly cold days (-20 / -30), I would pre-heat for 20-30 minutes...I'm sure extending the pre-heat time will help your comfort out immensely...not sure about the folding mirror issue though as it's outside the cabin...still, worth a try!

I'm aiming for 30 mins at HIGH, and about 15 mins in I manually sit in it to turn all the stuff on that doesn't come on automatically :)

I turned my automatic folding mirror feature off for the season so I have not seen the issue. I also put the wipers up before I leave the car parked outside. I find it easier to clean the snow off the lower windshield with them up.
I'm sure someone here should be able to figure out a fix to prevent the ice from building up on the mirror. Silicone spray, white grease? Plastic weather strip? Custom mirror booties (socks)?

Other than the occasional time when I've had to give the mirrors a bump if they are completely frozen, I find a double-hit on the fold button always works to open or close them the rest of the way if they get stuck.

I've had the service centre look at this, and all they could do was free them up, clean and lubricate them. That fixes it but doesn't prevent them from getting stuck when they get dirty or icy again.

Could be worse. At least you're not this unlucky driver in Buffalo:
19533188-mmmain.jpg

Nice, I have the same tires and dual motor. I'm still figuring out the capabilities of the car in the snow. Trying to figure out if I need to drive it like a normal car (very different driving style in the winter), or whether the Model S will just let me drive like normal.

A video I uploaded today.,
No problem for the 2013 Tesla Model S 85 climbing a snowy driveway.

. 5 cm of snow
. steep drive way
. rear wheel drive Tesla Model S
. Nokian Hakkapeliita R2 snow tires

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice, I have the same tires and dual motor. I'm still figuring out the capabilities of the car in the snow. Trying to figure out if I need to drive it like a normal car (very different driving style in the winter), or whether the Model S will just let me drive like normal.
The car is amazing, but it's not immune to the laws of physics. It's still a lot of mass on a slippery surface, you still need to slow down in winter, and accelerate and brake more gradually.

An electric all-wheel drive car doesn't magically make you stop faster or grip better, it still has rubber tires on snowy pavement. You still need to be a bit more cautious in the winter, at least until Elon releases the Model T with tank treads. :)

An electric all-wheel drive car doesn't magically make you stop faster or grip better, it still has rubber tires on snowy pavement. You still need to be a bit more cautious in the winter, at least until Elon releases the Model T with tank treads. :)

Yes I realize that. However driving a car without standard traction control, ABS, AWD or winter tires is very different than driving a car with all of those capabilities. I'm just starting to learn how Tesla's traction control, low centre of gravity, evenly distributed weight profile and heavier overall weight will change how I need to drive it. So far I have to say that I haven't needed to make many modifications, and traction control around a corner is impressive. I also find I'm more patient with my speed and deceleration given the one pedal driving and battery regeneration, so coming to a stop isn't as much of a concern.

Either way, every car drives differently, so just slowly learning day to day what I need to change, and what I can take advantage of :)

I also find I'm more patient with my speed and deceleration given the one pedal driving and battery regeneration, so coming to a stop isn't as much of a concern

<pro-tip>

In slippery conditions, it may be appropriate to change the regeneration setting from "standard" to "low".
This will reduce the tendency for the regen to lock the rear wheels when you pull your foot quickly off the accelerator pedal on icy roads.

</>

<pro-tip>

In slippery conditions, it may be appropriate to change the regeneration setting from "standard" to "low".
This will reduce the tendency for the regen to lock the rear wheels when you pull your foot quickly off the accelerator pedal on icy roads.

</>

Great tip, thanks. I tend to manage the deceleration myself by not yanking my foot of the pedal. You say the rear wheels, are you referring to specifically a RWD model? I assume that regen happens with all wheels when equipped with a dual motor setup.

Great tip, thanks. I tend to manage the deceleration myself by not yanking my foot of the pedal. You say the rear wheels, are you referring to specifically a RWD model? I assume that regen happens with all wheels when equipped with a dual motor setup.
From other reports, regen is still quite rear-biassed in AWD models, the exception is when range mode is on the regen shifts to a front-bias

I'm on my 3rd winter. I've never set regen to low and have never noticed regen causing any slipping. No harm in experimenting with it, but don't feel that you need to give up the range and driving benefits of full regen in winter.

You'd think that the system would be wise enough to apply ABS/traction control type logic to regeneration. I'm also surprised that regen isn't more front-wheel based, similarly to why mountain bikers use their front brakes for 70% of their braking. As a car brakes its weight shifts to the front wheels, so there often needs to be more braking applied at that end.

I'm on my 3rd winter. I've never set regen to low and have never noticed regen causing any slipping. No harm in experimenting with it, but don't feel that you need to give up the range and driving benefits of full regen in winter.

I'm on my 4th winter (1up!). I have been able to break the tires loose on regen, but it was really only a problem with the crappy Pirelli snow tires I started out with. Doesn't really happen with REAL snow tires. Even so, a little modulation on the pedal was all it took to prevent it.