TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Is the Model S water tight?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by bayareaever, Jun 17, 2013.

1. bayareaever

bayareaever Member

I am a newcomer here. I currently own a LEAF and love driving electric but not so much the limited range. So, I've decided when I can afford it, I might take a leap on a MS. But, if i'm going to spend that kind of money on a car, it better be darn near perfect. I found this video on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQcKYHhcSUc) and was wondering if any owners have had similar problems? For those that don't have 25 minutes to watch, basically this owner is having problems with water getting inside the rear hatch after washing the car, which he does everyday:frown: The water is then dripping into the edge of the trunk from the inside, as it drains out of the door. He is an auto detailer and thinks the water is either coming in the rear window seal or the tail-lights, which are fogged up. Anyway, thanks for any insights as I grapple with this huge purchase decision.

2. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

So, it sounds like what you're asking is if the MS keeps water out of the cabin under normal conditions. In my experience, yes. While I don't wash my car every day (!), I do so every week. There has been no inappropriate intrusion of water into the cabin, frunk or trunk. There are seals and they have held up well for me. Granted, I use a regular hose for my washing and dry with a microfiber cloth so no high-tech activities. Definitely nothing like was displayed at the beginning of the video.

His is one data point, mine is another, but if you review enough of these forums you will see nearly zero discussion of water leakage into the cabin.

3. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

I have been washing my Model S regularly with a pressure washer (both pre-rinse, foam, and then rinsing again). There is no water intrusion into the cabin. I have noticed a few drops near the interior of the driver's A pillar, but this may be due to water dripping after the door is opened.

What I do notice is regular water intrusion into the trunk jambs and frunk area. However, there is no water in the actual storage (carpeted) areas of the trunk and frunk.

I've been pressure washing from about 2 feet except the wheel wells, which are done closer. I am careful around the front intake as well and don't spray directly into that area. (I don't know if that matters or not, but I don't do it.)

4. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Zero water issues here. Been through downpours, weekly car washes. Not a drop.

5. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

Yes, I notice the same thing and it's certainly expected. It's why the seals are where they are.

6. aaronw

aaronw Member

I have not had any issues with water getting inside my model S and I wash my car with a pressure washer.

-Aaron

7. strider

strider Active Member

No waterintrusion here.

The fogging can be fixed as a service center - it's water in between the light and the trim piece. Water is not leaking into the light.

8. derekt75

derekt75 Member

Good luck with that.
    Don't get me wrong; I love my car and it's never left me stranded, but I wouldn't say it's darn near perfect.

For what it's worth, my SLK32 wasn't darn near perfect, either.

Perfection is more likely in cars with huge sales volumes (Camry, Civic, etc.) than in expensive cars.

The good news is that Tesla's service folks are really nice and will do their darndest to fix things for you. Depending on the particulars, there's also ranger service, and they might go to your house to bring your car to a service center, so you don't need to worry about the hassle of driving there yourself.

I don't have that problem.

9. greencharge

greencharge Member

Out of the car wash there is no water in the cabin but definite water in all the four door and hatch crevices . I have to mop all those surfaces or it leaves water marks, the rubber lining that watertights the car makes seal a little interior to all the opposing edges and hence my experience.

10. artsci

artsci Sponsor

No water intrusion of any kind for me.

11. kevincwelch

Yes.

12. ddruz

ddruz Member

While I was in to have my headlights aligned I asked the SC guys to check my car for water leaks because while hosing down the car there is a slight leak around the small triangular window on the driver's side.

They told me that all of the side windows on Model S could leak at the seals when directly hosed. They demonstrated this on a brand new car that was being prepped for delivery by hosing the driver's side triangular window and the front-rear window junction by the B pillar. Both areas leaked slightly.

They reiterated that this is how all the Model S cars are built. They are water tight in driving rain and when washing your car with a spray setting but the side windows could leak slightly with direct hosing over the seals. This was not pressure washing mind you, just normal hose pressure directly on the window seals. They recommended I never do this and to always use spray setting when washing my car.

13. strider

strider Active Member

Those little triangle windows are my only annoyance w/ the car. I get regular wind whistling from them when driving at highway speeds. Was planning to have service look into them when it went in for its annual but with your comments above maybe the seals just suck.

14. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Service fixed mine just fine. No whistling now. It's not the seals, it's just an adjustment--takes ten minutes or so.

15. MikeK

MikeK R#129, TSLA shareholder

Just to add to the chorus. I've driven in various rainy weather without issue thus far.

16. bsd

bsd Member

I opened my hatch last night and had a torrent of water stream out from the right handle cover. Not a happy moment.

17. kevincwelch

#17 kevincwelch, Feb 15, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
    I just noticed a leak around the rear passenger window. I believe there may have been a service bulletin to reapply some epoxy along the chrome trim. No leak before this; now there is a definite leak. Noticed today at the car wash.

2014-02-15 10.23.10.jpg

18. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

> I opened my hatch last night and had a torrent of water stream out from the right handle cover. [bsd]

But none or little went back into car, right? Melt-off has accumulated in mine a couple times but if you hold the hatch just right it all hits the ground.

Goes without saying: 1. Avoid fording streams. 2. Avoid driving on the Beach. So NO Daytona or Pismo action for the MS!!
    --

19. bsd

bsd Member

In my case it did enter the car and the carpets were quite wet. Tesla Service reported finding and fixing a tiny puncture in the rear hatch seal, and the problem has not reappeared. Phew!

20. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I've had my S for 7 weeks, have driven it in heavy rain and washed it myself many times (no high pressure spraying) and have had no problems with water intrusion anywhere. And when I wash a car I carefully clean and dry around every door and hatch in re surface so I would notice any leaks.