Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the model x good in the snow?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Big Bear is in SoCal so I doubt he/she would have snow tires. As for the snow chains, Tesla does not recommend them due to the low clearance around the tires. Unfortunately, Tesla only recommends those funky uber-expensive ($600) chains in their online store.

I'm planning to go to Idyllwild soon and suspect that the OEM all-season tires and the MX's AWD is good enough to get you there, however, it's always a good idea to carry backup (especially if conditions are bad and they require that you show that you have chains or equivalent). So I ended up buying snow socks instead. I haven't had a chance to try them yet so I can speak to their effectiveness.

I live in Minnesota, so here's what I can tell you about my '16 Model X in snow:

1. It handles better than any SUV/Crossover I have ever owned (BMW X5, Subaru Tribeca, Infinti QX60, etc etc) - the traction control and braking systems do an excellent job!
2. Depending on how slick it is where you're going, turning down regen may be very helpful to avoid unintended sliding
3. If you're traversing deep and/or thick snow, raise the ride height a bit for superior clearance
4. If you're going through deep and/or thick snow, turn off range mode if you can - having full power to both motors improves handling, IMO
5. You will lose range w/ the cool ambient temps, so plan accordingly - both from cabin heater and from keeping the pack at optimal temps

I run Nokian winters on 19" wheels and general get 420 - 460 wh/Mi w/ preconditioning and average city or highways speeds provided it's above 25F and no headwind. I never turn off Insane mode, and rarely reduce the regen setting.

Last week, we got about 16" in a 24hr period. Heavy stuff. It was fun watching the 4Runners and Suburbans skid and slip coming out of dead stops and around corners, while I blissfully and easily drove around them!

I live in Minnesota, so here's what I can tell you about my '16 Model X in snow:

1. It handles better than any SUV/Crossover I have ever owned (BMW X5, Subaru Tribeca, Infinti QX60, etc etc) - the traction control and braking systems do an excellent job!
2. Depending on how slick it is where you're going, turning down regen may be very helpful to avoid unintended sliding
3. If you're traversing deep and/or thick snow, raise the ride height a bit for superior clearance
4. If you're going through deep and/or thick snow, turn off range mode if you can - having full power to both motors improves handling, IMO
5. You will lose range w/ the cool ambient temps, so plan accordingly - both from cabin heater and from keeping the pack at optimal temps

I run Nokian winters on 19" wheels and general get 420 - 460 wh/Mi w/ preconditioning and average city or highways speeds provided it's above 25F and no headwind. I never turn off Insane mode, and rarely reduce the regen setting.

Last week, we got about 16" in a 24hr period. Heavy stuff. It was fun watching the 4Runners and Suburbans skid and slip coming out of dead stops and around corners, while I blissfully and easily drove around them!
Sadly, on my 23 MX, I can't adjust the amount of regen.

Winters are super clutch, but in Los Angeles, its rare to get consistent conditions to warrant a purchase of winter tires...so snow chains is the next best thing,...

I just drove up to Dodge Ridge (norcal) in the snow in our 2022 Plaid with Scorpian Winter tires. As expected, they performed fine. It was an uneventful drive.

The plaid should have a slight advantage given the rear wheels are driven independently with no need use single caliper braking to control slip and send power to the other side.

Stock M+S tire rating has worked amazingly well for me. That and socks just to show the officer if the rare chance they want to see chains. Model X is a beast in the snow in Lake Arrowhead and Mammoth trips I've done.

Sadly, on my 23 MX, I can't adjust the amount of regen.
You don’t really need to control Regen and I never did. But I always ran proper snow tires. Same goes for Model S with snows. I the think traction control can detect slippage and back off on regen. I could sense rear wheels on 2018 model 3 AWD slip a little if I let up quick (with snows). Never felt it on 2019 Raven Model X or Refesh S.

My dirt road in NH has been solid ice for weeks. I can barely stand on it. S and X with snows were fine.

It was like being on skies with OEM all seasons on the X. Depends on what you need to drive on.

In the fall there was a nasty Ice storm. Nobody could get anywhere. Including me. Only studs would make through. Assuming you could get around all the wrecks.

Reactions: Genie
Heading to Big Bear for some skiing in your Tesla? That's an exciting adventure! Driving a Tesla in snow can be a unique experience, and it's great that you're prepared with snow chains. Here are some third-party and user-experience insights along with recommendations for accessories:
  1. Traction Mats: Consider having traction mats on hand. They can be a lifesaver if you find yourself stuck in deep snow. These mats provide the necessary grip for your tires to regain traction.
  2. Winter Tires: If you're planning frequent winter trips, investing in a set of winter tires can significantly improve your Tesla's performance in snowy conditions. They are designed with a tread pattern suitable for cold weather, providing better grip and handling.
  3. Windshield Washer Fluid: Ensure your windshield washer fluid is suitable for freezing temperatures. A winter-grade fluid helps prevent the washer fluid reservoir from freezing.
  4. Battery Range Consideration: Cold weather can impact the range of electric vehicles, including Teslas. Plan for slightly reduced range, and consider pre-conditioning your Tesla while it's still plugged in to optimize the battery for winter driving.
  5. TESERY Snow Chains: You've already prepared snow chains, which is excellent. TESERY offers a range of Tesla-specific snow chains, designed for different models and various driving conditions. The variety in materials and designs allows you to choose chains that best suit your specific needs. Check out the selection here: Tesla Snow Chains.
Remember, it's always good to practice installing and removing your snow chains in a controlled environment before hitting the snowy roads. Safe travels, and enjoy your skiing trip to Big Bear!