Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Model X not that different?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A minor point is that Tesla must intend the model X to function as a town car, especially in China. The rear buckets added to the S are more important in the X. I expect one of the reason the stuck with the gullwing rear doors are Chinese businessmen with drivers. So maybe there will be some rear seat entertainment electronics too?
That would be exciting to have two row of seats that you could actually be comfortable in. I have no interest in the third row but if I could capture some of that space to increase the second row legroom, wow.

For me, ability to seat 7 is paramount. Extra cargo space and towing round out my reasons for wanting the X.

I have a few concerns though. Will the third row fold down, or must the seats be removed for access to the extra cargo? How much extra cargo area will the Model X really have?

For me, ability to seat 7 is paramount. Extra cargo space and towing round out my reasons for wanting the X.

I have a few concerns though. Will the third row fold down, or must the seats be removed for access to the extra cargo? How much extra cargo area will the Model X really have?
I'm hoping that both rows will fold flat as shown in the early prototype. Having the ability to turn it into all cargo space is important to me. Won't be a showstopper, but will make me sad otherwise.

I'd be very surprised if the 2nd/3rd row don't fold down in this day and age. All current SUVs/Minivans have folding seats, and if these new "clean" seats can't fold, then we're taking a big step back.

Towing capability will be there and the 3rd row should be optional, so that should work out well for you! And a big warm welcome to TMC. :)

Thanks, yes I had heard about towing but had not heard anything about 3rd row being optional. Hopefully so! I am in that stage of "do I wait for more info on the model 3 or just splurge and put $ down for an X sooner but pay more than I am comfortable with." :)

Thanks, yes I had heard about towing but had not heard anything about 3rd row being optional. Hopefully so! I am in that stage of "do I wait for more info on the model 3 or just splurge and put $ down for an X sooner but pay more than I am comfortable with." :)
:) IMHO, don't do anything you're uncomfortable with. But I'm sure if you really want it, you could always find a way that you'll feel comfortable. You could also consider getting a CPO or used Model S in the meantime if you really want to wait for the Model 3. Thankfully I did just that last May, 13 months of blissful waiting on the X now. Other owners and fellow members here will say the same. And I can never say this enough, a wise woman once told me "It helps having a Tesla in the garage". Thx again Bonnie! :D

I'd be very surprised if the 2nd/3rd row don't fold down in this day and age. All current SUVs/Minivans have folding seats, and if these new "clean" seats can't fold, then we're taking a big step back.

A picture with both rows folded from the reveal video of an early alpha shows they planned for a flat area.

kIHOlTl.png

Tesla Model X Reveal - YouTube