Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Model X pano roof UV Protected?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Nice post. Thanks for the additional links. I've seen those from time to time. I've measured it in my car, and the reason I said "a bit" is because the meter read about a 35% reduction of UV. So I would say it is a stretch of the truth to claim 100%. If that were the case, you would not be able to see through it at all. Most good ceramic films will cut UV and IR by at least 95% while cutting white light by only 15% or less (depending on the type of film). So whatever is embedded in the glass to reduce UV and IR is not doing a great job, but helps a lot. Of course, Tesla could be changing the glass over time. I've never asked anyone over there about it. I'm just say this info is based on my April 2017 X. I don't know about the sales people claims in general, but when I was at the Rockland showroom to see the car, they correctly told me it had a "fair amount" of reduction.

Also, the back and side windows had more reduction (about 55% as I measured it in heat transfer, but again not complete. After measuring it, I put ceramic film on the back side, rear and top windows and saw a much improved reduction of heat from the sun. It no longer felt like an oven and using as much AC as before the film.

UV and IR are not the same thing.

You can have high UV rejection and minimal IR rejection at the same time. No idea about the reverse.

Tesla glass is UV coated to some degree but not IR coated at all. Panorama roofs on other cars from other manufacturers are no different.

UV and IR are not the same thing.

You can have high UV rejection and minimal IR rejection at the same time. No idea about the reverse.

Tesla glass is UV coated to some degree but not IR coated at all. Panorama roofs on other cars from other manufacturers are no different.
Glad you said that. That's mainly why I put film on my windows. To block out the IR and some additional UV. Trying to keep out more and and protect the interior from UV.

The red that you see reflected in the raindrops is because of the UV coating.
uv coating rain.jpg

I love all the discussion about UV protection and cars.
Who got a sunburn while driving for hours in a car?
Glas reflects/filters a huge amount of the UV rays otherwise I would get sunburned all the time in my Model X in Florida!
You barley get tanned behind the wheel! Even driving the entire day in the sun...

• Disagree
Reactions: dogldogl
Glas reflects/filters a huge amount of the UV rays otherwise I would get sunburned all the time in my Model X in Florida!
You barley get tanned behind the wheel! Even driving the entire day in the sun...
UV exposure is not all about sunburn? Ever heard of skin cancer?

You might be missing a point. Measure the UV and the IR (different wavelengths of course) with meters in a car with protection (film or otherwise) and one without. You'll see an difference in heat and over time a difference in damage and fading to the internal fabrics and plastics. I'm guessing you probably really already know this ;-)

I drove for 5 hours today (8am-1pm) with clear skies and I got very sunburned. (No additional film on a April2017 X, all windows closed, I wouldn’t say I have particularly sensitive or fair skin).

Claim what you want about expectations for glass to block UV. I have experienced that sunburn is possible inside the Model X.

• Disagree
Reactions: Helmuth
I drove for 5 hours today (8am-1pm) with clear skies and I got very sunburned. (No additional film on a April2017 X, all windows closed, I wouldn’t say I have particularly sensitive or fair skin).

Claim what you want about expectations for glass to block UV. I have experienced that sunburn is possible inside the Model X.
It's not a 'claim'. It does have UV coating. You can disagree with everyone's posts just stating a fact, but it doesn't change the facts.

I burn easily (Scot-Irish-English) & have never had an issue. So should I mark your posts with a 'disagree' because I haven't gotten a sunburn? That would be just as silly and equally rude.

Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 1.22.25 PM.png

Yes, I do!
It’s just that many people think it’s almost like standing outside in the sun while driving a car...
The windshield filters a huge amount of UVA and a decent amount of UVB, IR not so much (if not treated), like any glass.

I think it is the other way around. Windshield has a huge amount of UVB protection but not UVA. UVB is the one that causes skin cancer. UVA is the one causes premature skin aging and winkles. So you will live to a very old age because you don't get skin cancer but you will look that very old age much younger. :p

I think it is the other way around. Windshield has a huge amount of UVB protection but not UVA. UVB is the one that causes skin cancer. UVA is the one causes premature skin aging and winkles. So you will live to a very old age because you don't get skin cancer but you will look that very old age much younger. :p

Sorry, I mixed it up! But you are right!
And spending about 8-10 hours in my Model X 5-6 times a week in the Florida sun never gave me a sun burn or even a nice tan... it would be awesome to get a tan while driving.