Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Model X spoiler fixed or retractable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally, I wanted no spoiler (especially not an active one) not due to appearance or anything else, but because I live in a dusty dirt road and cleaning my MS is already a pain. Trying to get junk out from under the spoiler does not sound fun. Given that my configuration would include a fixed spoiler, I hope the recess in the panel below does not exist on the non-P models. That'll be easy enough to clean.
There is no recess. The rear hatch glass extends all the way underneath the spoiler.

I took delivery of my 90D on 3/30/16 and I do have the retractable spoiler. I've seen it in three positions. I've attached photos of the two positions that are available when you are not moving.

The spoiler only fully retracts when the car is locked.

I suppose a "car wash mode" would be helpful to keep the spoiler fully retracted.

Attached photo shows rear view which allows you to see through the rear window below the spoiler.

image-jpeg.170468

image-jpeg.170467

image-jpeg.170465

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    275 KB · Views: 944
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    313.5 KB · Views: 784
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    116.1 KB · Views: 752
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: MrBoylan
Spoiler alert...

I just wanted to make people aware that Tesla initially indicated that the 90D would have a fixed spoiler. They wanted to get as many cars out by end of quarter and had to dip into the 90D reservations. They likely hadn't designed/built the fixed spoiler yet, so those people got a bonus active spoiler.

It's entirely possible that when the main stream 90D gets delivered, they may have a fixed spoiler as originally intended.

Reactions: MrBoylan
Spoiler alert...

I just wanted to make people aware that Tesla initially indicated that the 90D would have a fixed spoiler. They wanted to get as many cars out by end of quarter and had to dip into the 90D reservations. They likely hadn't designed/built the fixed spoiler yet, so those people got a bonus active spoiler.

It's entirely possible that when the main stream 90D gets delivered, they may have a fixed spoiler as originally intended.
If that is the case mine will be fixed in the down position permanently.

It's hard to say what might happen with the spoiler. I am really happy I have the active one. It's one of the features that I really wanted so I got my wish being an earlier delivery 90D.

The other option that early, and maybe all cars will get, is towing capability for up to 3500 lbs. Every car seems to have the connector, plugs and harness and those that ordered the accessory hitch are also getting the 2" receiver. Another nice surprise.

I have no affiliation with Tesla, so I don't know what they'll do. They may have decided to give all 90D an active spoiler and towing. Look under your X, you get towing, and you get towing and you get towing... One of the main reasons why I decided to upgrade to P90D is for the active spoiler.

Anyway, I just wanted to make sure that future 90D owners didn't get disappointed if they didn't get the "free" active spoiler and the "free" towing package. Fremont is a black box with raw materials going in one door and seemingly random configurations coming out the other.

Well, mine closes itself when I park it and it locks/shuts off. I am not sure if it is "active" as the one on a Porsche, but it is upright when I start driving. I have not paid attention to see if it actually "active" when driving vs. just staying in an upright position.

Another 90D with fully functional rear spoiler delivered today. Wohmman doesn't like it, thinks it's in the way of her rear view. But I assume it'll just take getting used to.
Woo hoo! Congrats, ohmman! I expect not to see you here for a while as you hit the open road. Repeatedly. For no particular reason. Be sure to wave your falcon wings at people as you drive by.

Reactions: ohmman
Another 90D with fully functional rear spoiler delivered today. Wohmman doesn't like it, thinks it's in the way of her rear view. But I assume it'll just take getting used to.
I think she'll get used to it. It's barely noticeable under 45 mph and above that I don't find it too much of a bother. It's not like a blind spot where cars can hide in the invisible band.

I think all production cars, including the 70D, will have active spoilers. Compare page 65 and page 60 of the Model X Owner's Manual. It clearly shows that Tesla will specify when a feature is available in certain models. For example, page 60 - "launch mode" clearly states it is available for performance models only. On the other hand, page 65 - "active spoiler", there is no mention of it being available for certain models only.

Reactions: bhzmark and halg
I think all production cars, including the 70D, will have active spoilers. Compare page 65 and page 60 of the Model X Owner's Manual. It clearly shows that Tesla will specify when a feature is available in certain models. For example, page 60 - "launch mode" clearly states it is available for performance models only. On the other hand, page 65 - "active spoiler", there is no mention of it being available for certain models only.
I really hope you are right, one of the few negatives for me would be a fixed spoiler.

On the design studio after revamp, it still says only the p90d's have the retractable spoiler. Looks like the early recipients may have gotten lucky from the lack of supply of fixed spoilers. Here's selfishly hoping the glut reached by the time I receive my 75d mid-year.

Reactions: emchen