Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Model Y LR fitted with Matrix Headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having ordered a MYLR as a replacement for my Dec 20 M3 LR, I thought it would be fitted with matrix headlights. However, the following article from Canada states that the MY LR does not have them fitted:

Tesla appears to have reverted to using non-matrix LED headlights in latest Model 3 builds

When I look at the configurator, the headlights change between the MYP and MYLR. Is this a US/Canada issue only or will the MIC MYLR have standard headlights? The article also suggests the retrograde step for the Model 3.

Thanks Teaston. Hoping that is the case. It was just the way the lights change in the configurator that made me query.
They have always done that, I guess the configurator is based on the NA spec. There have been discussions before about why the headlights on the configurator change between LR & P, nobody seemed to know this about the NA Ys, so it’s good to finally have an answer on this.

Although, it is strange that they did change the interior to RHD on the UK configurator, even BMW don’t do that!

My headlight:
5D77331D-FA1A-41DE-8B18-22EAAB3101F3.jpeg
DBD91CCC-A2C8-462E-A65E-FC70854B36E5.jpeg

Fingers crossed that Elon hasn't decided to change the headlight spec for European cars!
I had been holding off confirming a collection date for the MYLR as I would prefer a Berlin built car (rather support employment in Europe). By all accounts the MIC cars are to a good standard with paint and panel gaps, Berlin cars (non-P versions) may be well into 2023 (pure speculation) and I'm happy with the current specs of the MIC ones, I have decided to proceed with the Model Y now. EDD 4-30 June, but I placed the order on day 1 and have been until now pushing the delivery off. Will see if they stick with that delivery readiness window but having pushed it off previously I have no basis to complain if June doesn't happen.

MSM/Black/19"/EAP

I had been holding off confirming a collection date for the MYLR as I would prefer a Berlin built car (rather support employment in Europe). By all accounts the MIC cars are to a good standard with paint and panel gaps, Berlin cars (non-P versions) may be well into 2023 (pure speculation) and I'm happy with the current specs of the MIC ones, I have decided to proceed with the Model Y now. EDD 4-30 June, but I placed the order on day 1 and have been until now pushing the delivery off. Will see if they stick with that delivery readiness window but having pushed it off previously I have no basis to complain if June doesn't happen.

MSM/Black/19"/EAP
My EDD is also most identical 5 - 30 June. I took the decision to change from my M3LR as I wanted the benefit of the hatchback and higher driving position. There is always a reason to wait especially given the 4680 batteries and possible Berlin production, but I decided to proceed with the current spec as like you, I suspect it will be well into 2023 before we see some of the changes. That said, I definitely don't want to go backwards on the headlights!

My EDD is also most identical 5 - 30 June. I took the decision to change from my M3LR as I wanted the benefit of the hatchback and higher driving position. There is always a reason to wait especially given the 4680 batteries and possible Berlin production, but I decided to proceed with the current spec as like you, I suspect it will be well into 2023 before we see some of the changes. That said, I definitely don't want to go backwards on the headlights!
I am very happy with my current Volvo XC60 with adaptive headlights and ACC But think that the Tesla MY is a better EV to purchase than the Volvo EV due to space. Although, I feel a sense of disappointment that, in some part, I will be taking a retrograde step in my driving experience as the vision only enhanced autopilot and adaptive headlights. Anyone have any reassuring experiences with the Tesla features?

I used to own a BMW M340i with the full adaptive lighting package. It was excellent, especially at drawing “boxes” around vehicles and not dazzling oncoming traffic. Whilst I miss those features, I wouldn’t say the light coverage is worse as the Tesla LEDs have good range, it’s just that you have to go old school and manually dip the lights as the auto lights function is poor. Sadly, use of Autopilot now switches on the auto headlights which I find annoying at night.
I suspect that the Tesla software engineers are focussed on FSD rather than the features we want ie working auto headlights and wipers not forgetting a speed limiter!

Reactions: drewpost
I used to own a BMW M340i with the full adaptive lighting package. It was excellent, especially at drawing “boxes” around vehicles and not dazzling oncoming traffic.

I had a 2012 320d with adaptive Xenons, they were excellent, 2017 Volvo with LED adaptive lights were even better. The lights on my 2019 M3 are really not worthy of a £50k car, our base model Corsa (with LEDs) is better. Not sure why Tesla are so far behind in this area. Is it really because matrix lights are not allowed in the US they don't have the skills to develop them? Or is the camera and CPU just not up to the job, the auto function can't cope with switching between main and dipped.

Reactions: Durzel
I had a 2012 320d with adaptive Xenons, they were excellent, 2017 Volvo with LED adaptive lights were even better. The lights on my 2019 M3 are really not worthy of a £50k car, our base model Corsa (with LEDs) is better. Not sure why Tesla are so far behind in this area. Is it really because matrix lights are not allowed in the US they don't have the skills to develop them? Or is the camera and CPU just not up to the job, the auto function can't cope with switching between main and dipped.
Afaik, someone please correct if I’m wrong, but I thought that they’re now allowed in the US, only very recent though.

Reactions: bhzmark
Afaik, someone please correct if I’m wrong, but I thought that they’re now allowed in the US, only very recent though.
I believe they’ve only recently been approved for use in the US, which might further explain Tesla’s lack of interest in making them work.
That might change soon, now that they’re legal, but as I stated earlier I wouldn’t hold my breath.

I believe they’ve only recently been approved for use in the US, which might further explain Tesla’s lack of interest in making them work.
That might change soon, now that they’re legal, but as I stated earlier I wouldn’t hold my breath.
If Tesla had no intention of activating them, I would of thought they wouldn’t have put them on the cars to begin with. Hopefully they update them soon.

Reactions: greendriller
If Tesla had no intention of activating them, I would of thought they wouldn’t have put them on the cars to begin with. Hopefully they update them soon.
The inconsistent presence of the hardware across models and manufacturing lines makes me doubt it, but as always nobody really quite knows what Tesla are planning so we live in the usual expectation of good things to come ;)

Reactions: Darreno
It is true that it has only recently (very recently) become legal in the US, which would suggest why Tesla have basically not given a crap about it before now. That in itself is quite annoying because the world is a big place and adaptive headlights have been legal in Europe and presumably elsewhere for many years, and have consequently gone through multiple iterations of hardware and software to get to where they are now. The systems that the likes of Audi, Mercedes and BMW deliver are highly evolved and refined at this point.

it is pretty clear at this point that Tesla are not interested in parallel development for non-US markets.

it is also remarkable to me that Tesla haven't been developing matrix-enabling software in readiness for it becoming legal in the US. If they have been developing it, there's been zero evidence of it that I've seen. Since it isn't impacting their sales either way (yet) I'm inclined to believe they have only now started looking at development for it, if they have even done that.

As it is, gIven how crap auto wipers and headlights are, I would not be remotely confident that Tesla would deliver a reliable and dependable matrix software solution in the short term. I could also easily believe that the matrix headlights would see several generations of hardware changes before they got it to a point where it's equivalent to systems from 5 year old systems from the aforementioned German marques.

Reactions: ACarneiro