Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Model Y LR fitted with Matrix Headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can tell its Matrix as they have a weird dipped beam pattern that is too high on the near side, ok on single track roads but is too high when passing cars on multi lane roads shining in their mirrors.
They all are.

If you really want to check then perform the light show when parked up against a wall and it will project the word 'Tesla' on the wall.
I mean active matrix. No use having led lights that don’t adapt to oncoming traffic.

My merc lights would box out the car rather than turning off the full beams. Was a great feature Tesla needs to activate.

I mean active matrix. No use having led lights that don’t adapt to oncoming traffic.

My merc lights would box out the car rather than turning off the full beams. Was a great feature Tesla needs to activate.
Whilst they have the Matrix Headlight hardware, the software to make them 'Active Matrix' where they box out cars like the Mercs do, is not yet released. I believe it is on the roadmap for a future software update. Which will be delivered in Elon time.

Tesla aren't even talking about that, let alone offering any kind of roadmap for it.

Matrix headlights have been standard fitment on 3s since the start of last year, possibly the first MIC cars if not earlier than that, and sod all has happened with them in that time.

They've recently been made legal in the States, which I thought might result in an update "unlocking" this feature (since Tesla is certainly US-centric when it comes to development), but nope.

Tesla don't seem to have to bother with this stuff when people are buying the cars hand over fist regardless, so it's tough to argue against the logic of why they should be expected to enable it.

That all said, given how comparitively useless and lethargic even auto high beam is, can you imagine Tesla cracking the aforementioned active matrix functionality the likes of Audi, BMW and Merc have, where cars and road signs are blanked out, etc. Never going to happen.

Well, I guess they don't know what's possible, if they're not allowed to experience it (until very recently at least).

From my limited experience, and watching YouTube videos of most advanced technology, the systems you get in decent Audis, BMW, Mercs, etc nowadays has seen several generations of evolution and is very impressive indeed. Even "lesser" marques have got lighting that is lightyears (huhuh) ahead of the crap we've got.

I used to own a BMW M340i with the full adaptive lighting package. It was excellent, especially at drawing “boxes” around vehicles and not dazzling oncoming traffic. Whilst I miss those features, I wouldn’t say the light coverage is worse as the Tesla LEDs have good range, it’s just that you have to go old school and manually dip the lights as the auto lights function is poor. Sadly, use of Autopilot now switches on the auto headlights which I find annoying at night.
I suspect that the Tesla software engineers are focussed on FSD rather than the features we want ie working auto headlights and wipers not forgetting a speed limiter!
As Tesla chooses not to implement headlight washers then the output is limited to 2k lumens, so the output will always be below other manufacturers