Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Model Y the best choice if you have a dog?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh and can anybody confirm the depth of the Y is 42.5 inches? Thanks!
Can't measure for you right now (car is 1,000 mi away), but I can tell you a few things:
  • I put my 60 lbs Golden Retriever in the back, but without a kennel/cage. Golden Retrievers are generally compliant enough not to need one, and mine have always been trained to go in there, and lie down during the ride
  • A cage for this size dog will not likely fit if you desire the opening grate to face the back. This is due to the slope of the hatch. It may fit, depending on the precise size you have, if you are content getting the dog to jump in, and the rotate the whole deal 90 degrees so that opening is facing side of the car and push it forward so it is against the back seats
  • Even in our Toyota Highlander that is the only way we can fit our cage (which we only really done when picking up a new puppy). Admittedly our cage is probably big enough for an adult male of 80+ pounds.
  • So, in other words, it is all critically dependent on the size of the cage. If you really need one, determine the smallest size cage your dog could be in comfortable (meaning they should be able to lie down although not necessarily sprawled out).
  • Just training them to stay in the back might be your better option. The headrests help a big deal preventing them from climbing into the backseat and, if absolutely necessary, you could probably fancy something in between, although it may reduce your backward visibility.
  • The only thing our dog had to get used to was sitting up and staring out the back window, as she likes to do on shorter rides, requires her to be further back from the glass than in the Highlander (due to slope again).

• Informative
Reactions: rypalmer
Can't measure for you right now (car is 1,000 mi away), but I can tell you a few things:
  • I put my 60 lbs Golden Retriever in the back, but without a kennel/cage. Golden Retrievers are generally compliant enough not to need one, and mine have always been trained to go in there, and lie down during the ride
  • A cage for this size dog will not likely fit if you desire the opening grate to face the back. This is due to the slope of the hatch. It may fit, depending on the precise size you have, if you are content getting the dog to jump in, and the rotate the whole deal 90 degrees so that opening is facing side of the car and push it forward so it is against the back seats
  • Even in our Toyota Highlander that is the only way we can fit our cage (which we only really done when picking up a new puppy). Admittedly our cage is probably big enough for an adult male of 80+ pounds.
  • So, in other words, it is all critically dependent on the size of the cage. If you really need one, determine the smallest size cage your dog could be in comfortable (meaning they should be able to lie down although not necessarily sprawled out).
  • Just training them to stay in the back might be your better option. The headrests help a big deal preventing them from climbing into the backseat and, if absolutely necessary, you could probably fancy something in between, although it may reduce your backward visibility.
  • The only thing our dog had to get used to was sitting up and staring out the back window, as she likes to do on shorter rides, requires her to be further back from the glass than in the Highlander (due to slope again).
Thank you for your thoughts and your answer. Highly appreciated!
I already have a cage that I used in my Model S. I then downgraded to a Model 3 for several reasons and now thinking about going to a Model Y and use the cage I already have.
Actually, I do have the measures of the cage (see picture), but only in centimeter. What I‘m worried about is, that the box will fit at the front top, so the trunk can still be closed. That‘s why I was asking about the two measures. My dog isn‘t very high, about 12 inch shoulder height, so a cage should probably fit. I don‘t want to give him the whole space, because when we go on holiday with the family I would like to use parts of the trunk for our luggage. And I think it‘s a bad idea, just throwing the dog between the luggage (just kidding, obviously 😉).

Attachments

• 23662219-A026-43C6-A6D1-F14F1E2617BF.jpeg
    23662219-A026-43C6-A6D1-F14F1E2617BF.jpeg
    224.5 KB · Views: 278
The Model Y has worked out perfect for our two dogs, 80 lb lab mix and 40 lb terrier mix. We've taken them on numerous trips, they stay in the back (trunk area) and we're able to stow all our luggage in the compartment underneath the trunk and the frunk, so it's all secure and the dogs have the full upper trunk area to themselves. We usually travel with 2 adults and 2 kids, and the dogs seem content in the back, even on 3 hour road trips to/from our family vacation home. In previous vehicles it was always a challenge to secure the luggage which had to be in the same area as the dogs so it wouldn't slide or fall into them. I really like how the Model Y storage areas are compartmentalized.
Your endorsement of the Y and photo are what I needed to see to finalize my Y decision. I have a labrador, 4 people in the family, and need to be able to put surfboards and SUPs on the roof. Thanks!

Hey guys, I'm new here and I'm about to order a Model Y LR. I have a dog and a Model 3 now. At the moment my dog is sitting on the back seats and I'm wondering, if my dog cage would fit in the trunk of the Model Y. Is there anybody in here who could take two measures for me please? I'm based in Germany, so unfortunately, I can't just walk into the next TESLA store and measure myself.
What I'm looking for is the height of the trunk at certain points. I have added an image, what I mean. Anybody here who could help me out? Help is much appreciated. Thank you!
View attachment 682891
I measured My Y for you and took some photos.
Not sure if i got all the spots you wanted and I'm unsure what that second measurement you wanted was. The one you have as 45,5 CM
Is that to measure from the floor to the top of your screen in front?

It is difficult to be accurate because of the curves and angles of some of the body parts.
It's not a van.
You need to convert to Metric. I'm sure you know there are 2.54 CM in 1 inch. So multiply by 2.54

First the measurement you did not ask for but I wanted to know and others may as well.
With seats down it is 67 inches from the narrowest point ( where the hatch locks) to the end of the seats .Not to the back of the front seats.

The back by the hatch opening is approximately 37 5/8 inches wide.
From the back of the seat on the floor it is 41 inches to the narrowest point. However, it is less for a crate because the seats angle back some.
I measured approximately 37 1/2 inches from the top of the seats to the back by the hatch lock.
Height that you asked for is 26 1/2 inches to top of rear opening.
But from inside you hit the glass at just under 24 inches at it's shortest height close to the rear. Obviously it slopes up and you can height as you go quickly.

The blanket in the photos is what I use for my dog when I travel. I also put a dog bed in back but not a cage.

ETA. I just saw your other post. Post #62 where you talked about the cage you have.
That should fit if you are going to slide it up to the front as you said.

viber_image_2021-10-11_15-05-23-092.jpgviber_image_2021-10-11_15-05-23-431.jpgviber_image_2021-10-11_15-05-24-207.jpgviber_image_2021-10-11_15-05-24-482.jpg

Last edited:
I have ~50lb dog. she rides in the trunk (tethered to latch or similar). when the trunk is full of luggage she sits in backseat between my two children. I have a folding stepstool that give her a platform - so she can basically spend the time resting her head on the front seat console (or sniffing the air from the backseat vents). we have the a generic backseat cover (/ hammock) for whenever she is the backseat. (kids hate it due to poor access to seatbelt buckles - looking to modify it or find another one). We did order, but haven't gotten a crate that (hopefully) will fit in the trunk space to keep her a little more confined. I'll report back on that. it's going to be a tight fit...

I have ~50lb dog. she rides in the trunk (tethered to latch or similar). when the trunk is full of luggage she sits in backseat between my two children. I have a folding stepstool that give her a platform - so she can basically spend the time resting her head on the front seat console (or sniffing the air from the backseat vents). we have the a generic backseat cover (/ hammock) for whenever she is the backseat. (kids hate it due to poor access to seatbelt buckles - looking to modify it or find another one). We did order, but haven't gotten a crate that (hopefully) will fit in the trunk space to keep her a little more confined. I'll report back on that. it's going to be a tight fit...
Got my dog crate. Ferplast Atlas Vehicle SUV Dog... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08S31X76K

Just barely fits in the back (trunk) of my 5seat 2021 Model Y. Will try to get pictures soon

Our 2019 Model 3 SR+ was recently totalled and now looking to order a replacement Tesla. We are a family of 3 and have a medium sized dog (50lbs) and even though I personally like the style as well as the way the Model 3 drives, we are thinking of switching to the Y to make it easier to bring our pup on roadtrips (which isn't something we will probably do more than a two or three times a year). Would like to hear back from any Model Y owners that have dogs and how the Y is working for them. If you put the dog in the trunk behind the back seats, is there access to a seat belt latch to clip them in? Price differential between the base Y and the Model 3 SR+ is around $10K and although I appreciate you get other advantages with the Y (such as improved range, sound system etc..) the SR+ was fine for our needs given the size of our family and the amount of driving we do so not sure if it's worth spending the extra $$ for a more dog friendly vehicle. Many thanks!!
No Tesla is good if you have a larger dog. Our dog couldn't comfortably stand in the boot. The slanted roof line is a bad design for dogs. We have a Honda HR-V for short trips where she has enough room to stand, sit, lay, move around and an estate car for longer trips where she has plenty of space. If you care about your dogs comfort on road trips and have a tall dog, please take note of the head space.

• Disagree
Reactions: rxlawdude
Orvis has nice wayback covers. The small fits vehicles like the ID.4 and Model Y. The thing I like about the Orvis is that is has a fold-out transom flap that keeps them from slipping on the deck sill trim. Not a custom fit, they are a bit long in the ID. WIll let you know when I move the to the Model Y.

Greyhound Rocky, all 29 inches at the withers and 85 pounds or 40 kilos of him in the ID.4 wayback. I'm planning to move this cover to the Model Y when it arrives. ID.4 indisposed awaiting replacement contactor/disconnect assemblies on global backorder.
1925CA94-D846-4A96-B6FE-6EABE3A270D4_1_105_c.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: angus[Y]oung