Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Model Y the best choice if you have a dog?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our 2019 Model 3 SR+ was recently totalled and now looking to order a replacement Tesla. We are a family of 3 and have a medium sized dog (50lbs) and even though I personally like the style as well as the way the Model 3 drives, we are thinking of switching to the Y to make it easier to bring our pup on roadtrips (which isn't something we will probably do more than a two or three times a year). Would like to hear back from any Model Y owners that have dogs and how the Y is working for them. If you put the dog in the trunk behind the back seats, is there access to a seat belt latch to clip them in? Price differential between the base Y and the Model 3 SR+ is around $10K and although I appreciate you get other advantages with the Y (such as improved range, sound system etc..) the SR+ was fine for our needs given the size of our family and the amount of driving we do so not sure if it's worth spending the extra $$ for a more dog friendly vehicle. Many thanks!!

My wife likes the hatchback style for dog carrying. The dog can easily sleep in the back. Not sure the the seat belt latch. I do not believe so. Our dogs are much smaller so we put them in crates and buckle the crates to the latched seat belts. The Y would easily have enough room for your 3 (and even a 4th if needed), plus your suitcases and the puppy. The deep side wells in the back are great for carrying dog supplies, leashes, water, bowls, baggies for clean up, combs, brushes, etc... Plus you have 2 underneath compartments. I do not even use the one closest to the seats (yet) but the other one has even more supplies plus the med kit and safety triangles and such. That is easy enough to get to if needed.

Plus dog mode. As we do dog agility, we used dog mode a LOT this summer. Ate some battery (depending on outside temp and what temp you set the inside to), but never an issue. I have the LR AWD.
Love dog mode.

Just “dog proofed” ours.. F89496C9-BA59-46FC-832D-1A269880FA0D.jpegC339F974-B32D-42A8-95BB-8C3983703FC9.jpeg

Our 2019 Model 3 SR+ was recently totalled and now looking to order a replacement Tesla. We are a family of 3 and have a medium sized dog (50lbs) and even though I personally like the style as well as the way the Model 3 drives, we are thinking of switching to the Y to make it easier to bring our pup on roadtrips (which isn't something we will probably do more than a two or three times a year). Would like to hear back from any Model Y owners that have dogs and how the Y is working for them. If you put the dog in the trunk behind the back seats, is there access to a seat belt latch to clip them in? Price differential between the base Y and the Model 3 SR+ is around $10K and although I appreciate you get other advantages with the Y (such as improved range, sound system etc..) the SR+ was fine for our needs given the size of our family and the amount of driving we do so not sure if it's worth spending the extra $$ for a more dog friendly vehicle. Many thanks!!
Our cocker is 28 lbs and she has plenty of room. She liked her first trip last weekend but today she figured out how to actuate the power assist seat latch on the seat back. May tweet Elon to suggest deactivation setting. The driver rear seat back (60%) is heavy and falls with a thud. Not safe for a child and a smart dog combination.

Looks great, just one suggestion if you don't mind. Dog mode will be enhanced if you had a cargo liner that has a mesh opening so that your dog can enjoy the rear A/C. Currently in your set up, you are blocking the rear AC vent.

This is what I use and the dog can see me as well. Just my 2 cents

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZY74NPF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Model Y has worked out perfect for our two dogs, 80 lb lab mix and 40 lb terrier mix. We've taken them on numerous trips, they stay in the back (trunk area) and we're able to stow all our luggage in the compartment underneath the trunk and the frunk, so it's all secure and the dogs have the full upper trunk area to themselves. We usually travel with 2 adults and 2 kids, and the dogs seem content in the back, even on 3 hour road trips to/from our family vacation home. In previous vehicles it was always a challenge to secure the luggage which had to be in the same area as the dogs so it wouldn't slide or fall into them. I really like how the Model Y storage areas are compartmentalized.

The one thing to be aware of is how steep the slope on the hatch is. I have German Shepherds, and while they fit in the back okay they do have to sit sideways and can’t really look out the back window without smooshing their ears down. I don’t think we could fit a crate large enough for one of them if we needed a way to do that.

I have a 80lbs white swiss shepherd, 26" whithers, 40" nose to base of tail. I would say the space is just fine for car rides. We used to have a Subaru Outback, and while the length and width are similar, the height of the space is not. My pup's ears are always smushed down to look out the window, but they really don't need to look and can lay down just fine.

We take her places daily, and we've been on a big road trip (1000 miles) before without any issues.

• Helpful
Reactions: mikevbf and tbwnm
One thing to possibly consider, our 11-year-old 75-pound lab mix can't quite get up in by herself. We have to lift her hind end to help her. She didn't have a problem with the Ford Fusion or Kia Stinger we had before and can get out by herself no problem. The MY seat is just a little too high for her to get in on her own.

Reactions: gtae07 and tbwnm