Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Model Y the best choice if you have a dog?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a 65 pound black lab and put her in the back seat with a seat cover. She does perfectly fine with it. She’sa small English lab so if anything the window sill is a bit higher than my Audi so sometimes she puts her paw on the window button area or on the door handle to keep herself upright to look out the window... drives me nuts because I don’t want her to damage the door. Haha.

I got a husky, and I put him in the back seat. I was originally planning to do the trunk, but I have to leash him into the car seat hooks, otherwise he climbs all over and tries to take over driving. I love the hammock in the back, but half the time he's so fidgety he ends up underneath and I have to wrestle him back on it. Apart from popular belief, the white seats hold up! No scratches or permanent damage despite him always trying to get under that hammock. It's like he senses the clean white leather and he has to get them dirty with his muddy paws. :rolleyes:. Everything always cleans up with a baby wipe.

I still prefer him in the back seats though, cause I can use the trunk to store all my stuff. I can also protect the doors better. Plus who wants to hide that smile in the trunk?
  • Hammock - Fits like a glove
  • Window Protectors - Fits perfectly, and stay on the windows and don't slip out. Windows still function and no need for velcro or tape
  • The husky you can't buy on Amazon...sorry! :D

Attachments

• PXL_20200831_155035903.jpg
    PXL_20200831_155035903.jpg
    402.7 KB · Views: 1,222
  • PXL_20200829_154238988.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20200829_154238988.NIGHT.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 397
  • PXL_20200829_154312574.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20200829_154312574.NIGHT.jpg
    344.2 KB · Views: 373
Our cocker is 28 lbs and she has plenty of room. She liked her first trip last weekend but today she figured out how to actuate the power assist seat latch on the seat back. May tweet Elon to suggest deactivation setting. The driver rear seat back (60%) is heavy and falls with a thud. Not safe for a child and a smart dog combination.
Try Gaffer's tape to cover the latch switches. It sticks well and leaves no residue. Not a perfect solution, I know. At least it's something until/if Tesla allows you to disable the latches. BTW, I think that's a great idea. If the latches create a computer input--which they probably do--that should be easy to implement. If it's a direct connection to the latch--which it might be--then tape or adding a safety switch would be your only option. OR, maybe a 3D printed switch cover that looks nice? that sounds like a great opportunity for the aftermarket.

The real issue is that you are forced into the long range battery. Without the forced battery upgrade the Y is the clear choice IMO. But I prefer the Y raised seating, as well as a typical SUV back end.

Model X is great for this. Dog steps up via falcon wing door opening, then climbs into back. We have a 120 pound bernedoodle who seemingly really likes not jumping up into the back.

Question about dog mode, while I am here. The temp seems to be 'pre-set' to 19 degrees C. I cannot seem to lower it below that, yet if I take it off dog mode, i can lower it to 16 degrees C. is there a way to keep it in dog mode and lower the temp? Asking for a friend.

here is a picture of our dog in our Kia soul EV. always comical when we open the latch with people threre.

rPVwXmGKLzBvKg0vC3iXribdRAArP-nCewV2I_ErzZWtUrf2zyaUXzS0qYvFCojRv3wO-cyNvF6-gW515QjQc0Kfa6t-0-mE58Yc5WRJpiyBqYTQSojl6uD3YC6wDzKKLdDzzcr1ooxlwiLOeKR0OJa17kCT8kUVebus35lZWFAJ9iNuDw1RNyrS9KfIsG2RFWrJk05zJKEwY32v9WFGlu_o4bw2iHxegrCZuY2UZTsbeTdFcoNgKntEsQ7IjbvNWl2wh13px1xnuumC2CbCqsumAT2B0ZZcyIOjq7HnnUIWU1UO7KD6awF-rbF3GhwmdUHmUwEuMxMXtroQ7iAZAZV5__TdGViaJ2qQ88MTuO5GTtvfUEUOyXJHmp-IaIAgnvXMuF4cZgqT2rk7D77GtAuaXCluaeCAE-872LKqIjnv3UAvWLPYI6XDTes4vD2ci8SukzryVdsmcOiqJJfexNRvNCz3akf8ntoFOisMqiTBZ-lPPbB68jUlkJUm5YrzsW3tnT32EYgeYt8YPCaTBy7MIEgkQQCEHXsRhgklkDUpZXkA2m_5Mfp4HYiJqpBy9W5D5q77zSYyA5gXHUaRGXyJjDyHLA05cTou7KMUmSbQ-so2oQNAbyAkjMjP0LkdFPDzUB67KJHWefNem2NXlsJKDAt7edRkv0SzthBkygYF2oZX4tKlHdPyaKirXzw=w1250-h937-no

kenai tesla.jpg
Our 2019 Model 3 SR+ was recently totalled and now looking to order a replacement Tesla. We are a family of 3 and have a medium sized dog (50lbs) and even though I personally like the style as well as the way the Model 3 drives, we are thinking of switching to the Y to make it easier to bring our pup on roadtrips (which isn't something we will probably do more than a two or three times a year). Would like to hear back from any Model Y owners that have dogs and how the Y is working for them. If you put the dog in the trunk behind the back seats, is there access to a seat belt latch to clip them in? Price differential between the base Y and the Model 3 SR+ is around $10K and although I appreciate you get other advantages with the Y (such as improved range, sound system etc..) the SR+ was fine for our needs given the size of our family and the amount of driving we do so not sure if it's worth spending the extra $$ for a more dog friendly vehicle. Many thanks!!

This one totally loves the Y. lol. in all seriousness, i almost got the 3 and glad i didn't. The order was already placed for a 3, but the $3,000 price drop along with more conversation w/ my gf about our dog being comfortable in the 3 vs. Y, especially for long rides resulted in us with the Y. Couldn't be happier that I switched.

Reactions: tbwnm and Puma2020
Try Gaffer's tape to cover the latch switches. It sticks well and leaves no residue. Not a perfect solution, I know. At least it's something until/if Tesla allows you to disable the latches. BTW, I think that's a great idea. If the latches create a computer input--which they probably do--that should be easy to implement. If it's a direct connection to the latch--which it might be--then tape or adding a safety switch would be your only option. OR, maybe a 3D printed switch cover that looks nice? that sounds like a great opportunity for the aftermarket.
There's not a rear seat childproof lock setting??

I got a husky, and I put him in the back seat. I was originally planning to do the trunk, but I have to leash him into the car seat hooks, otherwise he climbs all over and tries to take over driving. I love the hammock in the back, but half the time he's so fidgety he ends up underneath and I have to wrestle him back on it. Apart from popular belief, the white seats hold up! No scratches or permanent damage despite him always trying to get under that hammock. It's like he senses the clean white leather and he has to get them dirty with his muddy paws. :rolleyes:. Everything always cleans up with a baby wipe.

I still prefer him in the back seats though, cause I can use the trunk to store all my stuff. I can also protect the doors better. Plus who wants to hide that smile in the trunk?
  • Hammock - Fits like a glove
  • Window Protectors - Fits perfectly, and stay on the windows and don't slip out. Windows still function and no need for velcro or tape
  • The husky you can't buy on Amazon...sorry! :D
Do the window protectors scratch the window when you open/close it?

My g/f has had something similar in her Acura and the sleeves that fit into the door were plastic...I think they ended up scratching her windows by a very minor amount (this was over the course of 10 years lol).

Thanks, for linking to these!

Do the window protectors scratch the window when you open/close it?

My g/f has had something similar in her Acura and the sleeves that fit into the door were plastic...I think they ended up scratching her windows by a very minor amount (this was over the course of 10 years lol).

Thanks, for linking to these!
I have not had any scratches, nor have I noticed any scratches. But i also don't use the back windows very often either.

But no problems thus far!

Cheers!

Reactions: Koolio46
We have a Husky and when it's HOT she drools real bad, on our previous cars her drool would leave stains on any exposed plastic parts, I could remove them from the leather, so how does the Vegan leather handle dog drool? The only reason we are keeping our 2017 Volt is for dog duty.

My dog seat cover has the sides that can connect to the handle but it didn’t seem strong enough to hold it when my lab leans on the side hammock.
Have you had any issues with the strength of the coat hangar?

No issues with the coat hangers. So that the Lab doesn’t weight it down, just lower it more so the Lab has 100% contact to the seat, this will lessen the tension on the side straps.

Fred