Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Model Y the best choice if you have a dog?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went for another test drive of the Model Y and have decided to stay with the refreshed M3 instead. Main issue for us was the ride is completely different than the 3 (which is to be expected with SUV crossover). Both my wife and daughter who are prone to car sickness got pretty nauseous while on the test drive for the Y (also my brother-in-law took delivery of his Y in March and my sister in law says she always gets nauseous riding in that car). Driving seven floors round and round in the Americana parking lot in Glendale to get in and out certainly didn't help! Good chance they would get used to it, but I just can't take that chance. Our pup will have to wait a couple more years for our second Tesla purchase once the Y comes with air suspension (a likely future upgrade based on the rumours). Overall I found the ride stiff and rocky. Also, unless you fold down the back seats on the Y, the space in the trunk is pretty limited. When bringing our pup out with us in the 3, we are going to try folding down the 60/40 seat so there is still rooms for our daughter to sit in the back with our pup next to her with the seat folded down (will see how this works). Don't get me wrong, the Y is an amazing car and I know plenty of people who LOVE IT (and the reduced price is certainly compelling!), but it just wasn't going to work for us this time around.

Went for another test drive of the Model Y and have decided to stay with the refreshed M3 instead. Main issue for us was the ride is completely different than the 3 (which is to be expected with SUV crossover). Both my wife and daughter who are prone to car sickness got pretty nauseous while on the test drive for the Y (also my brother-in-law took delivery of his Y in March and my sister in law says she always gets nauseous riding in that car). Driving seven floors round and round in the Americana parking lot in Glendale to get in and out certainly didn't help! Good chance they would get used to it, but I just can't take that chance. Our pup will have to wait a couple more years for our second Tesla purchase once the Y comes with air suspension (a likely future upgrade based on the rumours). Overall I found the ride stiff and rocky. Also, unless you fold down the back seats on the Y, the space in the trunk is pretty limited. When bringing our pup out with us in the 3, we are going to try folding down the 60/40 seat so there is still rooms for our daughter to sit in the back with our pup next to her with the seat folded down (will see how this works). Don't get me wrong, the Y is an amazing car and I know plenty of people who LOVE IT (and the reduced price is certainly compelling!), but it just wasn't going to work for us this time around.
How about a Model X?

Still looking for a solution for transporting our 50lb pup in the trunk area of the Model Y in addition to protecting the trunk floor when hauling cargo. Based on my research, I could use the Tesmanian second row seat back cover to protect the backs of the rear seats and then something like the Evannex Trunk Mat to protect the cargo floor. The reason I would choose the Evannex cargo mat instead instead of the Tesmanian, is that I have read that the Tesmanian cargo mat acts as a slip and slide for the dog whereas the Evannex would have some grip. Ultimately I'm looking for a solution that I can just leave in the car that would serve both purposes. Using two different products might not be the most ascetically pleasing option, but its the best I have been able to come up with so far. Seems like there isn't a portable dog crate for the Model Y that will work for a medium size dog given the limited size of the trunk height (19" to 22") unless the rear the seats are folded down. Any other advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Still looking for a solution for transporting our 50lb pup in the trunk area of the Model Y in addition to protecting the trunk floor when hauling cargo. Based on my research, I could use the Tesmanian second row seat back cover to protect the backs of the rear seats and then something like the Evannex Trunk Mat to protect the cargo floor. The reason I would choose the Evannex cargo mat instead instead of the Tesmanian, is that I have read that the Tesmanian cargo mat acts as a slip and slide for the dog whereas the Evannex would have some grip. Ultimately I'm looking for a solution that I can just leave in the car that would serve both purposes. Using two different products might not be the most ascetically pleasing option, but its the best I have been able to come up with so far. Seems like there isn't a portable dog crate for the Model Y that will work for a medium size dog given the limited size of the trunk height (19" to 22") unless the rear the seats are folded down. Any other advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
I have the Tesmanian seat backs + cargo floor. It's not a slip and slide at all.

My dog is 80lbs, 40" nose to base of tail, 26" withers, with some really pointy/big ears.

We do, however, have a Snoozer Pet SUV dog bed. It's bolstered on three sides and has a lot of cushion. My pup slides a bit on that, but she learns to snuggle against the bolsters and does well.

In addition, we have a VarioBarrier HR (small) attached to the headrests so that the doggo wouldn't go flying through the car in the event of a head-on collision.

It's a fantastic setup. Having a 50lbs dog sounds like this all would do well.

Also, in case your dog fits, I know that 4x4 North America has guaranteed a VarioCage Double Medium crate would fit with the seats up. If your pup can fit in that, then this might be a great and safe solution.

I have the Tesmanian seat backs + cargo floor. It's not a slip and slide at all.

My dog is 80lbs, 40" nose to base of tail, 26" withers, with some really pointy/big ears.

We do, however, have a Snoozer Pet SUV dog bed. It's bolstered on three sides and has a lot of cushion. My pup slides a bit on that, but she learns to snuggle against the bolsters and does well.

In addition, we have a VarioBarrier HR (small) attached to the headrests so that the doggo wouldn't go flying through the car in the event of a head-on collision.

It's a fantastic setup. Having a 50lbs dog sounds like this all would do well.

Also, in case your dog fits, I know that 4x4 North America has guaranteed a VarioCage Double Medium crate would fit with the seats up. If your pup can fit in that, then this might be a great and safe solution.
Thanks for the info. The slip and slide on the cargo floor with the Tesmanian's came from this thread but clearly your experience is different. Personally, I prefer the look of the 3D MAXpider (not sure about the all vinyl look of the Tesmanian) and may go with those for the cargo floor and just use the Tesmanian for the seat backs (which look to be the only available option for heavy duty seat back covers for the Model Y?). It's unfortunate they cover the child seat anchors (although my kids are already grown :) ) which could also be used for clip on a dog harness/restraint for a little more safety in the back. Also wondering how the vinyl Tasemanian's will fair over time with scatches from dog claws? Probably better than the MAXpiders.

Just circling back on my original post, the rear cargo area on the Model Y turned out to be the perfect ride for my 50lb pooch. She is very calm and relaxed in the back and loves the visibility out of the back window and has plenty of space (no need to fold down the seats). She is no dummy and jumps in the back as soon as I open the trunk and just lies down and enjoys the ride. I researched a bunch of dog cages and dog cargo covers and in the end I just ended up going with the Tesmanian trunk liner and rear seat cover of forgoing the dog cage. As the Tesmanian’s are more like vinyl they are super easy to vacuum off dog hair (I find most other covers that have any kind that of fabric, the hair just sticks to it and is next to impossible to remove!). They also have some texture so she has some grip and doesn’t slide around. Also great for hauling cargo (proceed at your own risk 😂).

Attachments

• 2C855A89-C4BE-481F-89A5-CFE497C6CE06.jpeg
    2C855A89-C4BE-481F-89A5-CFE497C6CE06.jpeg
    459.1 KB · Views: 445
  • 6514115A-CCDE-4618-B6F1-D6B45240D54C.jpeg
    6514115A-CCDE-4618-B6F1-D6B45240D54C.jpeg
    577 KB · Views: 239
  • B8BE8FB1-C38B-42B9-9672-74EC5B683F6C.jpeg
    B8BE8FB1-C38B-42B9-9672-74EC5B683F6C.jpeg
    434.6 KB · Views: 258
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Is the trunk space well ventilated for dogs? I am switching from a regular sedan to MY and my dog Taco used to sit in the 2nd row with windows down and his head outside. But the downside is the window and the doors were painted by his saliva and the carpet was getting covered by his hair (super hard to clean) despite using a pet seat cover. I have trained him to be in the trunk area of my MY but while driving, I notice the rear glass getting heavy condensation. Trying to avoid making him sit in the 2nd row of MY to keep it clean. Concerned if he is getting suffocated if kept in trunk area? Any thoughts?

Is the trunk space well ventilated for dogs? I am switching from a regular sedan to MY and my dog Taco used to sit in the 2nd row with windows down and his head outside. But the downside is the window and the doors were painted by his saliva and the carpet was getting covered by his hair (super hard to clean) despite using a pet seat cover. I have trained him to be in the trunk area of my MY but while driving, I notice the rear glass getting heavy condensation. Trying to avoid making him sit in the 2nd row of MY to keep it clean. Concerned if he is getting suffocated if kept in trunk area? Any thoughts?
Haven’t done any long road trips yet (longest so far is an hour but the sun was out and it was in the mid 80’s). As long as the AC is on in the rear, the cool air also makes its way back to the cargo area. Haven’t noticed any condensation but if the sun is bearing down and it starts to get warm back there, I would crank the AC higher and imagine it would cool down the trunk area enough. I think installing additional dog covers in the rear and/or a dog cage could restrict the airflow more so I like the idea of keeping it as open as possible in the back.

Last edited:
Reactions: abtheguru
Haven’t done any long road trips yet (longest so far is an hour but the sun was out and it was in the mid 80’s). As long as the AC is on in the rear, the cool air also makes its way back to the cargo area. Haven’t noticed any condensation but if the sun is bearing down and it starts to get warm back there, I would crank the AC higher and imagine it would cool down the trunk area enough. I think installing additional dog covers in the rear and/or a dog cage could restrict the airflow more so I like the idea of keeping it as open as possible in the back.
Thank you so much. Didn't know there's a separate control to turn on the 2nd row ventilation. Had to google it. :)

Plus I am thinking of getting a mini fan. There is a 12V outlet in the trunk so probably can make use of that.

Reactions: tbwnm
@tbwnm what a beautiful dog! Glad she's liking the MY. What kind is she?
Not exactly sure as she was born at the shelter when we got her as a puppy. The mother had more Australian Cattle Dog markings and based on her other characteristics her dad was likely part Border Collie (and probably a few other breeds as well!). She is a very sweet sensitive girl, active and super smart. Might do one of those Doggy DNA tests at some stage as I have heard they can be helpful with health/potential medical issues.

This one rides in the back of the MY with pleasure. No trouble at all. It took her one trip to learn that looking out the back in the Y is different from doing that in the Highlander she was used to (back window is much more vertical). She knows now to sit more towards the rear seats. Lying down it is very spacious. I have a Weathertech cover in there with roll-up bumper protector. This female Golden is 55 lbs (for reference). In the Highlander we used to even have two in the back, and I am sure, once we get another, this will work fine in the MY as well.
IMG_5503.jpeg

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
The Model Y has worked out perfect for our two dogs, 80 lb lab mix and 40 lb terrier mix. We've taken them on numerous trips, they stay in the back (trunk area) and we're able to stow all our luggage in the compartment underneath the trunk and the frunk, so it's all secure and the dogs have the full upper trunk area to themselves. We usually travel with 2 adults and 2 kids, and the dogs seem content in the back, even on 3 hour road trips to/from our family vacation home. In previous vehicles it was always a challenge to secure the luggage which had to be in the same area as the dogs so it wouldn't slide or fall into them. I really like how the Model Y storage areas are compartmentalized.
Do you own the 7 seat option or the standard 5 seat? Just curious because our traveling is very similar to yours and considering that third row for doggies comfort

We are fortunate that our pup is happiest just lying down towards the back and looking out the window. She really does seem to love being in the car and lies there calmly which is so funny. I did purchase this the other day (now out of stock) to see if it will help control the hair that sticks to the carpet on the sides and the back and gets all over the place (our pup is a heavy shedder!). It does have a front lip which might help with your issue. Also tried one of those fabric pet covers but to me they are PITA to install and the velcro doesn't secure the sides strongly enough.

Our 2019 Model 3 SR+ was recently totalled and now looking to order a replacement Tesla. We are a family of 3 and have a medium sized dog (50lbs) and even though I personally like the style as well as the way the Model 3 drives, we are thinking of switching to the Y to make it easier to bring our pup on roadtrips (which isn't something we will probably do more than a two or three times a year). Would like to hear back from any Model Y owners that have dogs and how the Y is working for them. If you put the dog in the trunk behind the back seats, is there access to a seat belt latch to clip them in? Price differential between the base Y and the Model 3 SR+ is around $10K and although I appreciate you get other advantages with the Y (such as improved range, sound system etc..) the SR+ was fine for our needs given the size of our family and the amount of driving we do so not sure if it's worth spending the extra $$ for a more dog friendly vehicle. Many thanks!!
We specifically bought the Y because we have a dog and it is great. Just throw the pooch in the back and I love the size of the car overall and the height is really nice versus the lower car. Just test drive it to make sure it is not extremely noisy as my 2020 is but I think the new ones have gotten better.

Hey guys, I'm new here and I'm about to order a Model Y LR. I have a dog and a Model 3 now. At the moment my dog is sitting on the back seats and I'm wondering, if my dog cage would fit in the trunk of the Model Y. Is there anybody in here who could take two measures for me please? I'm based in Germany, so unfortunately, I can't just walk into the next TESLA store and measure myself.
What I'm looking for is the height of the trunk at certain points. I have added an image, what I mean. Anybody here who could help me out? Help is much appreciated. Thank you!
Model_Y_Trunk.jpg

Hey guys, I'm new here and I'm about to order a Model Y LR. I have a dog and a Model 3 now. At the moment my dog is sitting on the back seats and I'm wondering, if my dog cage would fit in the trunk of the Model Y. Is there anybody in here who could take two measures for me please? I'm based in Germany, so unfortunately, I can't just walk into the next TESLA store and measure myself.
What I'm looking for is the height of the trunk at certain points. I have added an image, what I mean. Anybody here who could help me out? Help is much appreciated. Thank you!
View attachment 682891
Oh and can anybody confirm the depth of the Y is 42.5 inches? Thanks!