Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Model Y the new Reliant Robin?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What makes you think such a thing in the first place? with the underfloor battery it is almost impossible to roll.

sigh

It was really a play on the "Is the Model Y the new Cortina" thread - hence the selection of the UK forum ... plus who else would even know what a Reliant Robin is anyway?

I just thought it was pretty funny to watch a guy roll his twice ... and then right it by sticking his arm out of the window and pushing

For the uninitiated, the reliant Robin was a three wheel British "car" (and I use the word in its loosest sense) from the seventies. Noted for often being found upside down at roundabouts with the wheels still spinning

Mind you , it's better than the Bond Bug that had no reverse gear - you had to pick it up and turn it round by hand. Getting the thing going was done by opening the bonnet (hood) and stamping on the kick start.

...so yes it's fairly obvious that the Y is a significant level of improvement from that

Reactions: Johnny Vector
sigh

It was really a play on the "Is the Model Y the new Cortina" thread - hence the selection of the UK forum ... plus who else would even know what a Reliant Robin is anyway?

I just thought it was pretty funny to watch a guy roll his twice ... and then right it by sticking his arm out of the window and pushing

For the uninitiated, the reliant Robin was a three wheel British "car" (and I use the word in its loosest sense) from the seventies. Noted for often being found upside down at roundabouts with the wheels still spinning

Mind you , it's better than the Bond Bug that had no reverse gear - you had to pick it up and turn it round by hand. Getting the thing going was done by opening the bonnet (hood) and stamping on the kick start.

...so yes it's fairly obvious that the Y is a significant level of improvement from that
And yet this isn’t the UK forum…

• Informative
Reactions: Mike_TV
And yet this isn’t the UK forum…

Looks like a moderator moved it. Thank you moderators! It’s always bugged me when non-regional discussions and up in regional forums, which is definitely not a TMC-specific phenomenon.

(yes I realize the original intent of this thread was not actually to discuss the handling characteristics of the Model Y)

Reactions: AlexHung
I know the Reliant Robin from Top Gear. That episode where Clarkson drove one and kept rolling it.

I'm sure there are a lot of people on here that have watched Top Gear.

Still, I'm not sure why you would compare the MY to a Reliant Robin..

@EVer Hopeful j-o-k-e-s can be difficult to discern in communities. It helps if you hint with a smiley (e.g. 🤣 :D😅🤪) or actually mention that you're just joking in the original post. I know you said "obviously not" but you also then pose the question of whether the MY could be rolled twice, which sounds like a sincere question/concern. Anyway, sorry for beating a dead horse.

That said, to the hypothetical/joking question, I can only imagine the answer is that it's probably possible but extremely, extremely unlikely. It's hard enough to get one to roll once based on the video @Big Earl posted, let alone twice. But I'm sure if someone clever and determined enough set about it, there's probably a way.

<EDIT> I should add lest anyone be concerned: the dead horse was a proverbial one; no animals were harmed in the making of this reply.

Yes I agree, it can be difficult to discern. It might have worked better if it had stayed in the UK forum where people at least know what a Reliant Robin is (AND its reputation)

And yes I understand the CoG of the Y is very low so rolling is almost impossible.

I really wish I hadn't bothered :( I feel like I'm stuck in the Arthur TwoSheds Jackson script now

Last edited: