TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Is the nag now 15 seconds!

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by mobe, Jun 11, 2018.

1. mobe

mobe Member

I just read in electrik that the nag is now 15 seconds with the latest update. Called my service center to see if I can stop the install, ( I have it set up for 9:30 pm central time). They say nope, it is already downloaded and waiting to install.
    A15 second nag interval is intolerable. Now AP1 is nothing more than a gimmick to me.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  2. MIT_S60

MIT_S60 Member

It depends on how lightly you hold onto the steering wheel.

3. mobe

mobe Member

I hold it at 10 and 2 but I get nags anyway.
    The only position to stop the nags is to lay only one hand on the wheel.
    If I use both hands the nags continue and I have to consciously apply pressure to get the warning to stop.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  4. Skysurfer

Skysurfer Member

Torque from the steering wheel is used to detect if hands are on the wheel, with hands at 10 and 2 they will be fairly balanced and therefor not reliably detected. One hand sitting on the wheel is typically enough to be detected and keep the nags at bay. I usually find resting a hand at the bottom of the wheel or on one of the spokes is a good compromise. Bummer if the nags have been increased again though, just got the latest update on my AP1 car but haven't been able to confirm the change to the timeout yet.

5. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

Say thanks to all the media crazies ...

6. mobe

mobe Member

This is why we can’t have nice things.

• Like x 8
  7. kirkbauer

kirkbauer Member

Well that's great, since two hands on the wheel allows for better response when taking over...

• Like x 1
  8. Ande

Ande Member

I had the latest firmware since last week, never noticed any nagging change, certainly not for the wortst.
    Having hand/s in my lap, letting the wheel slip thru fingers.

• Like x 1
  9. Tdriver

Tdriver Member

If you apply a bit of resistance to the wheel you will not get nagged......rather than just holding on.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  10. Barry

Barry Active Member

This update brought to you by Tesla's legal department.

P.S. It's always been a gimmick.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  11. DrComputer

DrComputer Active Member

I don't think the interval is actually 15 seconds. It does seem when you first enable Autopilot if you immediately remove your hands from the wheel it will nag in about 15 seconds, but the subsequent nags revert to their normal intervals (longer if going straight and more often in the road is curvy).

• Like x 1
  12. ElectricLove

ElectricLove Member

The nag is getting annoying for sure, it seems to be happening way more often. Of course, I realize I am supposed to keep my hands on the wheel so should I really be complaining?

The scary part of all this stuff is the stories I've heard from folks who go to do a TESLA test drive and have the sales person tell them "go ahead and take your hands off the wheel" like they are showing off the feature in a way that it is absolutely not supposed to be used. Why oh why didn't they call this thing COPILOT instead of AUTOPILOT???

13. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

Nag seems to be 20 seconds now

14. MMC-

MMC- S70D Refresh > S75D. "*MADE ON EARTH BY HUMANS*"

June 12th 2018 2018.21.9 75bdbc11

I timed mine tonight at approx 30 seconds.

15. commasign

commasign Tesla Superfan

Right hand at 3 o'clock position (or rest the palm of your right hand in the little indent just above the buttons), elbow on the armrest. Gravity only (i.e. no conscious effort to exert torque). Zero nags.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  16. kaczmarczyk

kaczmarczyk Member

I'm a big Tesla supporter but this nag is a step backwards...it's to often now. Reward the driver for quickly acknowledging the nags and start to space them further apart as the drive continues or decrease the frequency if it is in stop and go traffic at least!

• Like x 1
  17. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

It's 20 seconds, I just measured it. I got SEVEN nags in less than 3 minutes. WTF. I am hoping to appeal to Elon's common sense on Twitter on this subject. Maybe a better compromise is a ratcheting system.... As long as you respond quickly to prove your attentiveness, then let the system ratchet back, over time, to what it used to be. If you have even one slow response, it resets to the current ultranag state....

• Like x 2
  18. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Member

Seriously though, what’s the point of autosteer if you have to lightly steer every 20s?

In other news... new cruise control TACC update requires light taps on brake every 20 sec of it will pump the brakes to alert you. (Just kidding, at least I hope so)

• Like x 2
  19. commasign

commasign Tesla Superfan

Even with hand on steering wheel, it’s still a lot easier and requires less effort to drive with autopilot on. Again, no torque needed if you hold the wheel at 3 o’clock or rest your palm in the notch. Gravity is enough to register your hands present with the latest update.

• Like x 3
  20. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Member

I wonder if autopilot buddy’s sale just spiked... or maybe oranges of a specific size will be in short supply soon.

• Funny x 2