Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the nag now 15 seconds!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With some congested distance travel coming up, I really, really regret applying this update (*21.9). Thanks, Tesla for making my driving more stressful instead of less.

Yes, I'm holding the ****ing wheel and yes, Virginia, I still get nagged. I've had exes who have nagged less. Much, much less. So much less. But I digress.

The *only* saving grace in this no steps forward and two steps back release is that maybe, just maybe, the relegation of the flashing nag to the top IC border means the left and right borders will be used for red blind spot encroachment warnings. That would at least be of some use until we get those warnings a little higher up - say, in our field of view while driving *gasp*. Hey, a guy can dream.

/goml

Reactions: MIT_S60 and BQst
I wonder if autopilot buddy’s sale just spiked...

Now that you mention it, the local Whole Paycheck was a little low on oranges *and* grapefruit the other day. Lemons, too. Plenty of limes, though - but they were the tasty golf ball-sized ones that would be too small for the purpose.

C'mon, Tesla - have a heart. Save an orange for the cause and make the nags either more effective or fewer or both.

• Funny
Reactions: insaneoctane
I’m sorry but this nag is a liability. Scan the forums and you have people discussing how much they have to look down or wiggle the wheel. Or disengage Autopilot and the re-engage.

The fact is, even with hands on the wheel, the nag still comes up for a lot of us. And now we’re looking down every 30 seconds instead of looking at the road. And then, we have to look up, and wiggle the steering wheel even if the road is straight. Should I be thinking about Autopilot or concentrating on the road?

I’m just not understanding how anyone can think this is remotely safe?

As usual, it’s difficult to discern between Elon's tweet and the interpretation by the reporter thereof.

The way I read it, all that he said they’d change is the messaging in order to tell us how to hold the phone, er, wheel correctly.

Perhaps quietly, along with telling us how to drive, they’ll reduce the nag frequency threshold as well as the AS cancellation threshold,

Anyway, here’s the/a link:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/elon-musk-says-tesla-changing-145816910.html

• Funny
Reactions: JenniferQ
Even with hand on steering wheel, it’s still a lot easier and requires less effort to drive with autopilot on. Again, no torque needed if you hold the wheel at 3 o’clock or rest your palm in the notch. Gravity is enough to register your hands present with the latest update.
I agree, I use AP every day to get to work, and to drive between SoCal and Phoenix/Vegas often. Feel more relaxed after a 5hr drive with AP.

Reactions: paperjohn
Elon's tweet was about the textual content of the message, not the frequency.
The whole point is that the car can't tell if you're holding the wheel or not, all it can do is detect resistance to steering wheel movement.
If you're one of the 10-2 death grip folks then you probably can't feel the subtleties of what AP is doing when its working, and you probably think this update sucks.
Lightening up and relaxing lets you feel what that car is trying to do, all you have to do is apply a little resistance so it knows you're there.
Dead simple.

June 13th 2018 2018.21.9 75bdbc11

Verified this am. My refresh AP1 nags at 30 to 32 seconds. There does seem to be some sort of initial nag if you are not holding the wheel at initial activation that is somewhat less. Closer to the 15 seconds.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Here is the conundrum- it is difficult to prove a negative. You can point to statistics that show how many accidents were caused when AP was engaged, but there are no statistics on how many accidents engaged AP prevented. Think about it- distracted driving, fatigue, even impairment- auto pilot PREVENTS accidents. But you can't quantify this. Here's a philosophical question- if Auto Pilot could be proven to save 10,000 lives a year- but cause the death of 500 people who use it negligently- would it be a good thing? Talk amongst yourselves... :) I want my old AP back without the annoying 15 second nag, more distracting than anything else and I don't see how it will alter behavior of people who will abuse, just made it more dangerous with more distraction for people who use responsibly. Hopefully updates in August will impress.