Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the new LR getting the same motor tech as Plaid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So is this new carbon-wrapped motor technology in both the new Model S Plaid and LR versions or Plaid only? I was assuming both were using the same tech with the Plaid adding tri-motor but the more I read, the less certain it becomes.

Is the LR using the same drive tech as the previous Model S version?

So is this new carbon-wrapped motor technology in both the new Model S Plaid and LR versions or Plaid only? I was assuming both were using the same tech with the Plaid adding tri-motor but the more I read, the less certain it becomes.

Is the LR using the same drive tech as the previous Model S version?
Plaid only according to the Tesla website (at least the last time I checked it.)

Unless there is some other source that I haven't seen, we do not know what the LR drivetrain will be. Based on the near total attention to weight reduction and simplicity I think the motors will be new, but not the ones used in Plaid.

Understanding this is more of a thought exercise given the lack of official information. If we are to assume the new Model S is more efficient than the old, where will that efficiency come from?

Material Reduction
Elon did say they trimmed the interior to give more space including slimming the seats I believe. This could account for some reduction in weight with new materials or less of it.

Motor / Drivetrain
This is the origin of my question. Really hoping the drivetrain and motor technology for the Plaid is included in the LR

Battery Pack
Reducing the size of the battery pack would have a significant impact however doing so while keeping close to the same range (405 vs 412 of prev) may signal a more efficient drivetrain. Another is updated battery cells or pack construction providing the desired ratings in a smaller pack.

CoD
I don't recall what the CoD is for the old S but I believe it was 0.2x. Does the CoD improvement of the new S have a measurable impact on efficiency?

Heat Pump
The Heat Pump improvements wouldn't impact EPA rating so ignoring those here.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Since the dual Plaid motor-gearbox-subframe combo is already in production, I was wondering if it wouldn't make sense to use those for the LR as well? But with standard mass market motors from Model 3. i.e. not carbon sleeved. Three motors total obviously.
This way you get a few benefits:
  • Only one type of subframe for all future S/X, -> simplified production.
  • No differential, -> simpler longer-lasting, the potential for better traction and regen control, less brake wear.

Last edited:
@Olle Simplification and cost reduction sure make sense especially for all things Tesla these days. However, the same motors from the M3 in a heavier car wouldn't be able to achieve the same performance. I believe the 0-60 times for the M3P and MSLR are both 3.1 indicating that the MS must have more power right?

I did double check the website to see where the LR is specifically mentioned.

"Both Long Range and Plaid powertrains, with updated battery architecture, are capable of back-to-back, consistent 1/4 mile runs."
"New module and pack thermal architecture allows faster charging and gives you more power and endurance in all conditions"

So the LR will have a new battery architecture and a different powertrain than the Plaid but still not clear if it is just motor count or something more.

If you look at the Electric Powertrain section of the Model S, the front motor graphic stays the same with only the rear powertrain changing when toggling between LR and Plaid. Hopeful thinking for sure :)

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
The manual makes it very clear that only the Plaid gets the carbon sleeved rotors:

1623684872534.png

@Olle Simplification and cost reduction sure make sense especially for all things Tesla these days. However, the same motors from the M3 in a heavier car wouldn't be able to achieve the same performance. I believe the 0-60 times for the M3P and MSLR are both 3.1 indicating that the MS must have more power right?

I did double check the website to see where the LR is specifically mentioned.

"Both Long Range and Plaid powertrains, with updated battery architecture, are capable of back-to-back, consistent 1/4 mile runs."
"New module and pack thermal architecture allows faster charging and gives you more power and endurance in all conditions"

So the LR will have a new battery architecture and a different powertrain than the Plaid but still not clear if it is just motor count or something more.

If you look at the Electric Powertrain section of the Model S, the front motor graphic stays the same with only the rear powertrain changing when toggling between LR and Plaid. Hopeful thinking for sure :)
Agreed that MS LR needs more power than M3 to go 0-60 in 3.1 sec. But since you have three motors you also have more power than in the M3 which only has two.