Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the new M3 steering wheel thinner?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

GoldCountryCA

M3LR wh/bl/18”
May 5, 2021
Cool, CA
Hello,

My factory Q2 2021 M3 steering wheel had issues with the material, so they replaced the whole thing. Call me crazy, but the new wheel feels thinner. I can’t put my finger on it, but it’s different. My hands don’t like it.

The material also feels cheaper and slipperier. The stitching changed as well. I’d almost prefer to have my old wheel back. It was only delaminating on the front side of the wheel near the turn indicator switch. Delaminating might be a bit strong too. A 1cm edge came “untucked” from the 9 o’clock cross arm.

Anyone have experience with both model year cars that can confirm?

Hello,

My factory Q2 2021 M3 steering wheel had issues with the material, so they replaced the whole thing. Call me crazy, but the new wheel feels thinner. I can’t put my finger on it, but it’s different. My hands don’t like it.

The material also feels cheaper and slipperier. The stitching changed as well. I’d almost prefer to have my old wheel back. It was only delaminating on the front side of the wheel near the turn indicator switch. Delaminating might be a bit strong too. A 1cm edge came “untucked” from the 9 o’clock cross arm.

Anyone have experience with both model year cars that can confirm?
I do remember the wheel of the test drive car I drove was thicker than my current car.
I would like to swap it for a thicker, feels much better.

the new wheel feels thinner. I can’t put my finger on it, but it’s different. My hands don’t like it.
Could you make some measurements, here my 2018 steering wheel with real leather (using millimeters).

2018 Tesla Model 3 .jpg

The steering wheel is okay but I don't like how the thickness is all over the place depending on where you grab it. I can understand the 2, 11 o'clock positions being thicker like most wheels but it's thin on top and ultra thick at the bottom and a little odd compared to most wheels.

That looks nice. Manufacturer?
Can an amateur replace a steering wheel if it has an airbag?

This is not my account, not for advertising purposes, just sharing what I bought.

Yes it is doable if you are handy. The guts of the steering wheel have to be transferred.

Here is another picture on the car.

20220907_112214.jpg