Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the newest Tesla Key Fob RFID or Bluetooth?

Kunk

May 29, 2021
Colorado Springs
Hello,

Just a quick question that I'm hoping somebody has the answer to. Is this key fob: (Model 3/Y Key Fob) RFID or does it use bluetooth? Reason I ask is because I want to pick one up for when my Model Y arrives, but my work center I can't have bluetooth devices. Tried googling it and I get mixed answers. Thanks!

bluenycom

Feb 12, 2021
Rancho Cucamonga
I have one and the way it's paired with the car was different from adding the phone as key. Therefore, my guess is it's not using bluetooth.

Last edited:

frankvb

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Feb 29, 2020
San Diego, CA
It uses BLE, I can see it with my BLE scanner. It also does RFID, you can tap it on the same place as a keycard and it will work. I'm guessing that means you can still lock/unlock even if its battery is empty.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC